DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While i can agree somewhat,
the world is a much more joined up then ever, and while the geeks, doom sayers and the ostriches are out there in abundance, we all, if so minded can look and aggregate the data to our own best efforts.

While people can get panicked by hysteria, they also get panicked when what is being said
doesn't add up or seem sensible.

The world sat and watched Wuhan from safety, yet S korea got many cases
Europe sat and watched S Korea from safety, yet Italy then got many cases
the cruise ship, implemented sensible precaution, yet it spread widely

ALL will have reasons, that we should learn from
those lessons are what will keep us safest.

So i make you right, watch & listen.

i also have done that, and acted accordingly
may we all make the best choices we can make.

I can't say necessarily agree with all you say. For example, I don't believe the cruise ship precautions were necessarily sensible.

As I understand it, they isolated people in their cabins, where they would be breathing air conditioned air. So, they had no fresh air whatsoever. OK, they'd weren't mixing with each other, but their food etc., was being delivered to them by the crew. The crew were going around the ship delivering, so at least some of them may have been in contact with an infected person.

Did those staff members wash their hands between each food drop off? Were they wearing appropriate barrier clothing? If they were wearing masks, were they protective or mini incubators? If trays were used, were they disinfected appropriately between deliveries/services?

In many way, I could consider that if the ship were to be quarantined, it could have been better for those onboard to have had the option of at least fresh air.

I hope there weren't too many claustrophobic onboard.

To be clear, these are my personal views, and not representing anyone other than myself.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't say necessarily agree with all you say. For example, I don't believe the cruise ship precautions were necessarily sensible.

As I understand it, they isolated people in their cabins, where they would be breathing air conditioned air. So, they had no fresh air whatsoever. OK, they'd weren't mixing with each other, but their food etc., was being delivered to them by the crew. The crew were going around the ship delivering, so at least some of them may have been in contact with an infected person.

Did those staff members wash their hands between each food drop off? Were they wearing appropriate barrier clothing? If they were wearing masks, were they protective or mini incubators? If trays were used, were they disinfected appropriately between deliveries/services?

In many way, I could consider that if the ship were to be quarantined, it could have been better for those onboard to have had the option of at least fresh air.

I hope there weren't too many claustrophobic onboard.

To be clear, these are my personal views, and not representing anyone other than myself.

and the very point i make.

those in charge, knew best, .....yet it's clear they didn't.

reasons, many fold..but one i believe, is they just didn't think through ALL the possible consequences,
and they most likely treated it far too lightly..as has been evidenced by one or two on here.already.

Are we really going to just accept the same happening, repeatedly in country after country,
or do we learn from others mistakes ?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and the very point i make.

those in charge, knew best, .....yet it's clear they didn't.

reasons, many fold..but one i believe, is they just didn't think through ALL the possible consequences,
and they most likely treated it far too lightly..as has been evidenced by one or two on here.already.

Are we really going to just accept the same happening, repeatedly in country after country,
or do we learn from others mistakes ?

To be clear, personally, I am somewhat aligned with this: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2020/02...s-the-hysteria/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
“ It is the rapid dissemination of trustworthy information—transparent identification of cases, data sharing, unhampered communication, and peer-reviewed research—which is needed most during this period of uncertainty. There may be no way to prevent a COVID-19 pandemic in this globalised time, but verified information is the most effective prevention against the disease of panic.” https://www.thelancet.com/.../PIIS0140-6736(20.../fulltext

A quote Addressing the Munich Security Conference on Feb 15, 2020, by WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

We must be very careful not to shut down discussion. Certainly we must attempt to restrict unsafe posts, but best by contradicting them with trustworthy information.
Promote unhampered communication and peer-reviewed research.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have to hope your right,
just not too confident you are.

and @Bill_St
this IS sadly going to be a numbers game.
the ostriches, who stick there head in the sands and say don't worry it's just flu,
will keep pointing to how low the numbers are,
even though they'll keep increasing.

And the Chicken littles will point to every new case as proof.we are all doomed

And in the middle, those discussions allow us to form our own minds.
a fact that governments would be wise to look at
truth from them will carry more weight then just 'trust us, we know best'

because as i pointed out in the previous post, that hasn't looked the case so far....:sorry:

Reactions: Debandez
D

Deleted member 308541

In multiple secret locations across Australia, about $100 million worth of medical supplies — including 20 million masks, antibiotics, vaccines and equipment such as basic hand sanitisers — is sitting on huge pallets wrapped in plastic, ready to be deployed.

The Australian federal government have a stockpile of 20 million face masks, but not every one will get one though as they are six million masks short for our 26 million population. :meh:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...s-national-medical-stockpile-to-open/12003980

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Australian federal government have a stockpile of 20 million face masks, but not every one will get one though as they are six million masks short for our 26 million population. :meh:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...s-national-medical-stockpile-to-open/12003980

haha..a cunningly well thought out plan, @Tipetoo ...finger right on the pulse there, me thinks..:hilarious:

and as said the mask protects others, more then they protect the individual wearing it.
though i did see on a German Health care site, where the advise is to wear one, as it can have a deterrent effect on how many times you touch your face..which makes some sense.
(which is also mentioned in @Debandez link i just spotted )

i try now to see how often i do touch door handles etc, how many places i might be at risk and how many times i do touch my face while i'm out and before cleansing hands..it's almost imperceptible, that your even doing it
until you consciously focus on it.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks (but no thanks) to the bushfires, pharmacies handed them out in their tens of thousands.

And many people bought stocks of them. The Australian govt. has it well and truly covered

D

Deleted member 308541

and as said the mask protects others, more then they protect the individual wearing it.
As I said before I have two boxes of P2 masks that we got when the bushfires were around Bundaberg during December and January.

I am very wary of the mens toilet at the bowls club I am a member of, the amount of men that do not wash their hand after using the facilities is scary.

I open the door using my walking stick as it's safer than touching the handles with bare hands, I turn the tap on and off as well with it so I do not have touch it.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

NatBeth

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm based in the UK and have been Type 1 for 20 years, currently using a pump.
I live in the North-East of England but my partner lives in Gloucestershire, close to Tetbury where a Covid-19 case has been confirmed. Today I am suddenly feeling very anxious about the situation. I have pretty good control, a good month or two's supply of insulin in the fridge and touch wood I have never been seriously ill. Don't know if I'm worrying for nothing and thought it might be better to chat with other 'betics. There seems to be limited advice for us folk who supposedly could get a more virulent dose. I guess its just the usual but is there anything else can be done?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51403795

Could the virus be contained, if Dr Li Wenliang wasn't hushed up and told to withdraw his findings ?
Poor man died :(

The same alarm bell rang loud and long when Wuhan, a modern city of 11 million with hundreds of hospitals was shutdown... every city around the world had over a month of warning to take the necessary precaution...if they did not muffle their ears and close their eyes.

Yet we seems to be seeing Wuhan being repeated city after city...whatever the political climate. All sensible calls to be informed and be prepared, questioned the data from China, had been roundly condemned as being alarmist and attempts to spark hysteria...

The global collective focus had been on controlling the narrative rather than the spread of the virus...

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome
I think the main thing is not to panic. All will become clear over the coming days. Thankfully we live in the UK. We will be ok I'm sure of it. It is a worry though, especially as you are type 1. But you have a good supply of insulin.
I'm just ensuring I read as much as I can from reputable sources so I keep up with events. Don't feel i can do much more than that at the moment.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm based in the UK and have been Type 1 for 20 years, currently using a pump.
I live in the North-East of England but my partner lives in Gloucestershire, close to Tetbury where a Covid-19 case has been confirmed. Today I am suddenly feeling very anxious about the situation. I have pretty good control, a good month or two's supply of insulin in the fridge and touch wood I have never been seriously ill. Don't know if I'm worrying for nothing and thought it might be better to chat with other 'betics. There seems to be limited advice for us folk who supposedly could get a more virulent dose. I guess its just the usual but is there anything else can be done?

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally travel a lot but have cut that - now back to my U.K. base to watch & wait it out, perhaps even until vaccines are developed or an effective treatment is assured. I do have old Tamiflu from earlier SARS experience in China but do not wish to rely on that and just washing my paws. I have become aware of just how often I touch my eyes and how difficult it is to retrain accustomed reactions, such as when greeting friends.

We should have much more data in the next few weeks as I somewhat doubt containment will work, even in the U.K.

I am concerned there is almost no recent D specific information - just the WHO saying keep away from groups.
The MERS data and the mice experiments are alarming but all we have until they release specific detailed comorbidity and D infection information for SARS2-CoV and that will take time to develop.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally travel a lot but have cut that - now back to my U.K. base to watch & wait it out, perhaps even until vaccines are developed or an effective treatment is assured. I do have old Tamiflu from earlier SARS experience in China but do not wish to rely on that and just washing my paws. I have become aware of just how often I touch my eyes and how difficult it is to retrain accustomed reactions, such as when greeting friends.

We should have much more data in the next few weeks as I somewhat doubt containment will work, even in the U.K.

I am concerned there is almost no recent D specific information - just the WHO saying keep away from groups.
The MERS data and the mice experiments are alarming but all we have until they release specific detailed comorbidity and D infection information for SARS2-CoV and that will take time to develop.

Here is the Diabetes UK statement on COVID-19: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...080.296502241.1583117097-643283500.1582515731

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A snippet from the recent Metabolic Health Summit that might have some relevance. Thinking it might be a good idea to cut back on carbs for the duration as mine have trended up a lot lately:

Reactions: kokhongw

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin