Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure

Agree, but we won't get that while so many are saying "it's just Flu, ***..Man Up "

And we all know that most who talk of flu have never had it,
Everyone who has EVER worked has heard or seen the shirkers saying at the slightest sniffle or running nose
" they won't be in..I've got FLU "..and then come back to work a day or two bright as a button, if still slightly hung over :rolleyes:

Many people use the real numbers, but THAT above is the flu many will think of.
See too many saying that on twitter, and i'd guess many will happily cough and sneeze with that attitude, without covering up or even caring.

We need to get away from that idea.
yes it mimics flu, but it spreads quickly among us, and we have NO adequate vaccine or prevention for it
EXCEPT our own actions...So #Respect AND Protect each other

Washing our hands helps, Sanitised gel, more readily available in shops, stores and transport links,
shops making doorways better marked or kept open, to ease the spread on much used surfaces, simple measures.
(count the number of times you touch a handle someone else may have done earlier in day)

Masks don't stop us getting it, but those who have a cold etc should maybe wear one while in public, until this passes, ,
It will to help slow the spread of germs. IF nothing else, because they are not coughing and spluttering snot and germs into the air and onto so many surfaces.

And if it's a cold..it helps others NOT get that cold germ, stopping someone else and their family the worry of 'what if?'

AND IF it's CoVid-19, then it helps stop that person spreading the virus so much until they get ill enough to get tested and then find it IS CoVid-19..at which point self isolation, hospital etc as appropriate.

The sheer scale of this could be the biggest danger, i'd expect many non urgent but important to THAT Patient, to be cancelled and reschedule far into the future, if this gets anywhere into the Italians Numbers,
which could be disastrous for many.

so IF we all take a little responsibility and reduce the effects and possible spread as much as possible, we give our NHS and medical services the chance to do their best for ALL of us.

Reactions: Bill_St and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.30pm, BBC1, questions regarding the virus, Everything you should know ............
I’m sure I shall watch.

But I wonder what degree of transparency, spin or disbelief will accompany it.

Whilst we are all hungry for accurate information many don’t trust any government or broadcaster when it comes down it; fearing downplaying to avoid panic or plain old well meant but inaccurate health information - cos that’s never happened has it??

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@jjraak ... agreed 100% with all you said ... a cold won't kill you. The flu might as might this

Mike

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m sure I shall watch.

But I wonder what degree of transparency, spin or disbelief will accompany it.

Whilst we are all hungry for accurate information many don’t trust any government or broadcaster when it comes down it; fearing downplaying to avoid panic or plain old well meant but inaccurate health information - cos that’s never happened has it??

People watch, listen and make their own minds up, so I will ( hopefully) watch it, with interest and an open mind.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agree, but we won't get that while so many are saying "it's just Flu, ***..Man Up "

And we all know that most who talk of flu have never had it,
Everyone who has EVER worked has heard or seen the shirkers saying at the slightest sniffle or running nose
" they won't be in..I've got FLU "..and then come back to work a day or two bright as a button, if still slightly hung over :rolleyes:

Many people use the real numbers, but THAT above is the flu many will think of.
See too many saying that on twitter, and i'd guess many will happily cough and sneeze with that attitude, without covering up or even caring.

We need to get away from that idea.
yes it mimics flu, but it spreads quickly among us, and we have NO adequate vaccine or prevention for it
EXCEPT our own actions...So #Respect AND Protect each other

Washing our hands helps, Sanitised gel, more readily available in shops, stores and transport links,
shops making doorways better marked or kept open, to ease the spread on much used surfaces, simple measures.
(count the number of times you touch a handle someone else may have done earlier in day)

Masks don't stop us getting it, but those who have a cold etc should maybe wear one while in public, until this passes, ,
It will to help slow the spread of germs. IF nothing else, because they are not coughing and spluttering snot and germs into the air and onto so many surfaces.

And if it's a cold..it helps others NOT get that cold germ, stopping someone else and their family the worry of 'what if?'

AND IF it's CoVid-19, then it helps stop that person spreading the virus so much until they get ill enough to get tested and then find it IS CoVid-19..at which point self isolation, hospital etc as appropriate.

The sheer scale of this could be the biggest danger, i'd expect many non urgent but important to THAT Patient, to be cancelled and reschedule far into the future, if this gets anywhere into the Italians Numbers,
which could be disastrous for many.

so IF we all take a little responsibility and reduce the effects and possible spread as much as possible, we give our NHS and medical services the chance to do their best for ALL of us.

A winning post for me, so thank you for your input :)

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Especially when there is no cure....yet

No, not yet. My motto is, expect the worse, but hope for the best and that goes for life's many roller coaster rides.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not yet. My motto is, expect the worse, but hope for the best and that goes for life's many roller coaster rides.
I'm stocked up in fridge and freezer etc. Masks at the ready! Just hoping it goes away as fast as it came.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm stocked up in fridge and freezer etc. Masks at the ready! Just hoping it goes away as fast as it came.

Hopefully at some stage, sooner rather than later, it will burn it's self out.

Tbh, I am not stocked up, but my daughter is getting a little worried, so tomorrow, I will need to get more food in and other provisions, just in case..................... hypo treatments and some gluten free too.
Stay safe :)

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Copied (with permission) from the Libre Group.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) Changed its advice yesterday afternoon to advise that persons over the age of 60 and with underlying health conditions to try to avoid crowded areas or places where you may interact with people who are sick. For those of us with comorbidities it can be a worrying and confusing time, and seemingly difficult to find reliable and accurate information about the Corona virus and the risks.

To try and help i have summarised the latest information, taken from WHO's Daily press conference (28th Feb) and their COVID-19 advice pages on their website:

* Covid-19 is a respiratory virus that causes respiratory based symptoms such as a cough, shortness of breath, fever and tiredness. These symptoms are usually mild and develop gradually.
*It is transmitted through close contact (1m-2m) and water droplets that are expelled from your lungs.
*Most people show signs of infection within 5 to 6 days of exposure, but can take up to 14 days in some cases.
*90% of cases present with a fever.
*70% of cases present with a dry cough.
*A runny nose is not usually present.
* Covid-19 presents as similar to influenza but is not influenza.
* Covid-19 is an atypical pneumonia that attacks the lungd. 80% of cases recover from the disease without needing special treatment, but around 1 person in 6 cases becomes seriously ill and will develop difficulty breathing. These are usually elderly people or people with underlying health conditions and may need extended hospital treatment for their breathing difficulties.
* Around 2% of people who contract Covid-19 die. These are usually elderly people or people with underlying medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes or respiratory conditions.
*It is not believed that you can catch Covid-19 from your pets, however it is advised to avoid direct contact with animals /surfaces that have been contact with animals, avoid handling raw meat, milk or animal organs and avoid eating raw or undercooked animal products in countries where Covid-19 is present.
*There are now more cases being reported each day outside of China than in China itself. The continued increase in the number of cases and the number of affected countries over the past few days are clearly of concern and the risk of spread and impact of Covid-19 has been increased to VERY HIGH at a global level.
* However, they do believe that Covid-19 can be stopped before it spreads freely in general communities.
* Several countries have shown through fast and effective control measures the disease can be contained. Several countries have had previous cases but have not reported any new cases in the past 14 days.
* This does not mean these countries will not report further outbreaks- 2 countries have reported new cases this week following 2 weeks without cases, but effective control measures have been able to contain these outbreaks and WHO believe that the world community can work together, with effective preparation and organisation, to prevent full scale pandemic.
* WHO are concentrating their advice on goverments around the world to make sure that they are prepared for their first case, that they have effective testing facilities in place, that they have prepared quarantine and treatment units ready to contain outbreaks and that they have stocked up on the required medications and equipment needed to treat large numbers of patients suffering with severe or critical cases.

WHO's advice for the general public is:

* Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly, with soap and water or an alcohol based gel for a minimum of 20 seconds (sing happy birthday 2 times)
*Avoid touching your face, in particular your mouth and eyes, after touching potentially contaminated surfaces.
*When you sneeze or cough do so in to the corner of your elbow, not your hand, or in to a tissue which you dispose of immediately.
* Avoid close contact (within 1-2 meters) with people displaying symptoms.
*Face masks should be worn when YOU are displaying respiratory symptoms to protect others, by reducing the shedding of viral load through water droplets.
* There are specific instructions on how to take a mask on and off, instructions on when to replace a mask and how to dispose of it safely, which is available in video format on the WHO website
*Clean surfaces regularly with disinfectant.
*If you display any Respiratory symptoms stay at home and isolate yourself from from other people. In the UK call the NHS on 111 to be advised how to be tested for Covid-19 and any further instructions on how to seek medical help. Absolutely do NOT walk in to a GP surgery, walk in clinic or A&E if you believe there is even the smallest chance you may be displaying symptoms.
* If you are aged over 60 years or suffer from chronic health problems you are at increased risk of developing severe disease. You may wish to take extra precautions to protect yourself by avoiding crowded areas or places where you might interact with sick people. This could include large scale public events, public transport, hospitals and GP surgeries.
*Educate yourself with the latest information from reliable sources- information is changing on a daily basis. Everyone should know the symptoms.
*Avoid travelling if you have a fever or cough. If you become sick on a flight inform the flight crew immediately. Once home make contact with health authorities and tell them where you have been.
*if you are sick stay at home and self isolate from your family/housemates. Eat and sleep separately using separate towels, utensils and cutlery from them and if possible use a separate bathroom.
* IF YOU DEVELOP SHORTNESS OF BREATH CALL YOUR DR. AND SEEK CARE IMMEDIATELY.
*it is normal to feel anxious, especially if you live in a country or community that has been affected or have a co-morbidity that increases your risk of developing severe illness. Find out what you can do in your community, discuss how you can stay safe with your workplace, school or place of worship. Make plans and be prepared.

TOGETHER, WE ARE POWERFUL. CONTAINMENT STARTS WITH YOU.

OUR GREATEST ENEMY RIGHT NOW IS NOT THE VIRUS ITSELF. IT'S FEAR, RUMOURS AND STIGMA.

OUR GREATEST ASSETS ARE FACTS, REASON AND SOLIDARITY

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully at some stage, sooner rather than later, it will burn it's self out.

Tbh, I am not stocked up, but my daughter is getting a little worried, so tomorrow, I will need to get more food in and other provisions, just in case..................... hypo treatments and some gluten free too.
Stay safe :)

wise move.

with the best will in the world, others will be doing similar,.(yeah i know, Panic :woot: or Prep :bookworm:..you decide)
while not hard to get most things right now, that could change, and especially if , as many on here will be, already compromised health wise by one illness or another, and then add in the dreaded 'A.G.E' Virus..:sorry:

So i doubt queuing in a store full of worried people, later on will be the best thing for any of us.
sensible stock up, just in case.. does seem the order of the day.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*Avoid touching your face, in particular your mouth and eyes, after touching potentially contaminated surfaces.

most informative @Bill_St

and that above about the hand to face contact, , does makes you think when you consciously focus on that,
just how surfaces, we currently take for granted, MIGHT be touched by us on our travels...now would seem a good time to review and make a few little adjustment to our old habits i think.

Reactions: Bill_St

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What necessary precaution do you think they should have taken?
My thots as an armchair critic...

Track, screen, and quarantine the international inbound passengers that left Wuhan/Hubei/China before the lockdown.
Suspend large social/public gatherings. Encourage social distancing. Stay home if having flu symptoms.
Prep the frontline healthcare providers for infectious disease control.
Limits public visitations at hospitals wards/nursing homes etc where the vulnerable are.
Setup separate consultation area/hotline etc.
Ramp up test kits, test all hospitalized pneumonia/respiratory cases first, then distribute to the frontline primary care provider to improve detection at the community level to enable isolation.
And people should prep up food/essentials for two-four weeks to be ready for extended home quarantine.

If testing is not done at the community level, the spread would be too large to contain by the time it is finally detected...and resources will be quickly overwhelmed.

For some cities in South Korea, Italy, Iran, containment is likely no longer viable...and just over two weeks ago, they were not even on the radar...how many more cities will be caught in such a difficult situation?