Cows milk

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not on low carb as I'm vegetarian and there's not enough variety fir me but I do try to limit my carb intake by cutting down on bread, rarely eat pasta and potatoes. I love fruit but tend to stick to berries and an occasional apple. I use Wanda milk on cereals usually weetabix just can't face eggs everyday. My question is what's the best milk to use in tea and coffee instead of semi skimmed as it tastes sweet to me. My hb1ac went up recently from 58, 6 months ago to 66 which GP said OK. Next blood test 12 months. I'm 76 no other health issues except over weight. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My question is what's the best milk to use in tea and coffee instead of semi skimmed as it tastes sweet to me.

How about full fat milk or even cream? The creamier it is, the less carbs it will have...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I put cream in coffee but when my sense of taste went strange I swapped to fruit flavour teas and drink them without any milk.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agree with the people above; cream or full fat milk would be your best option, other than getting used to black.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I gradually moved to no milk in my tea, but love milky coffee and swapping to full fat meant I was happy to cut down on milk in this.

I don't like eggs for breakfast but make up a mix of milled flaxseed with chia seeds (2 heaped spoons of flaxseed to one flat spoon of chia seeds), cinnamon and a few other seeds or chopped nuts. Made with a spoon of coconut milk and hot water (about 200ml), cooked for 2 minutes. Then served with a swirl of double cream.
Much lower carbs than weetabix.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lemon Tea? or a fragrant tea like Earl Grey that is palatable black.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All of the above whole fat milk, cream , often black coffee or tea and fruit or herbal teas my favourite being novus wild encounter tea. Though skimmed milk I cannot stand.

D

Deleted member 543160

As you're vegetarian, have you looked into any other alternative nut, etc "milk" options some of which come as either sweetened or unsweetened? I've used the unsweetened almond or hazelnut ones in coffee or cocoa, but currently, like @Resurgam, drink green, fruit, herb, etc, flavour teas as is.

And you don't have to eat just cereal or eggs for breakfast, you are allowed to eat anything that you fancy - or even skip breakfast completely.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've discovered the best milk for me is Koko Coconut unsweetened milk, 0.3 carbs per 100 ml. It doesn't taste of coconut. Full fat milk sends up my blood glucose levels, and cream and fats upset my digestive system.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If I were taking "milk" it would be from an animal. I believe that apart from coconut everything else is a juice. Imagine trying to squeeze an almond.

The alternative juices add a massive hit of oxilates which influences such as Brian Saunders (and others) have described as problematic in the context of smoothies etc.

I am yet to see a better version of the original, for those who tolerate it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am mostly vegatarian. My whole milk is part of my protein daily intake and important for my nutrition. There are dozens of different cheeses and ways to cook cheese. The same for eggs.