Diabetes and stress

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had one heck of a 12 months. Really non stop stress. i am finding it hard to unwind. My blood glucose is constantly going high and my panic attacks have returned.

Mental health help round here is impossible to access, and I have atypical depression which meds do not resolve, I must have tried most of them by now. The ones I have tried over the years turn me into a zombie and have a very bad affect on my liver function too. My GP and psychicatrist (who I havent seen for years) have both said there is nothing medication wise they can offer that I havent tried, which doesnt affect my liver function and blood glucose levels etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a good book on relaxing and recovering from burn out please? There are about a million out there and i dont know how to choose wisely. Exercise, due to my CFS/ME is not an option. This exhaustion is different, somehow. Its bone deep and mental as well as physical, but I cant sleep more than a few hours and wake up feeling no better.

I am alternating now between exhaustion, overtiredness, unable to concentrate on anything, weeping, and anxiety/panic/cant sleep/ worried.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried practicing Mindfulness at all, Lucylockett61? Or some simple CBT-based techniques targetting depression? I can offer some suggestions for books for them if you like, and there are a lot of online free resources for them as well

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever heard of Ekhart Tolle The Power of Now?

His first book was stunningly simple, and exquisitely effective.
Later books tended to just rehash the same, but the concept is so blindingly wonderful, and very applicable to the darkest of moments.

DawnOfTheZed

@Lucylockett61
Havecyou enquired with your local library about books? Bibliotherapy is a recognised treatment that works for some, and all public libraries (in the UK) are participating in this scheme since last year, I believe.

DawnOfTheZed

Also there's a scheme called Books on prescription. I would try the library first for that rather than your GP, as you've said your GP has prescribed diff meds to you but might not be aware of this?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still rarely drink coffee at all these days. I do enjoy a 200 ml glass of full fat milk.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
One of the ladies I network with introduced me to relaxation YouTubes like this one:
Listen to in a darkened room with a lit Yankee Candle (I like lemon grass & ginger or passion fruit martini).

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had one heck of a 12 months. Really non stop stress. i am finding it hard to unwind. My blood glucose is constantly going high and my panic attacks have returned.

Mental health help round here is impossible to access, and I have atypical depression which meds do not resolve, I must have tried most of them by now. The ones I have tried over the years turn me into a zombie and have a very bad affect on my liver function too. My GP and psychicatrist (who I havent seen for years) have both said there is nothing medication wise they can offer that I havent tried, which doesnt affect my liver function and blood glucose levels etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a good book on relaxing and recovering from burn out please? There are about a million out there and i dont know how to choose wisely. Exercise, due to my CFS/ME is not an option. This exhaustion is different, somehow. Its bone deep and mental as well as physical, but I cant sleep more than a few hours and wake up feeling no better.

I am alternating now between exhaustion, overtiredness, unable to concentrate on anything, weeping, and anxiety/panic/cant sleep/ worried.

Lucylocket - I'm sorry you've been having a rough time.

I have a couple of strategies, developed over the year, to help me unwind if needs be. On here, I have heard of a few folks using the Mindfullness App. As I understand it, there's a free service, with the option to buy modules. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm guessing it can be delivered via earphones.

Sometimes we need to find 5 or 10 minutes for ourselves and empty our crowded minds.

Reactions: Energize

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you're struggling @lucylocket61 - I dont really have any advice but just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it hard to concentrate on reading when being stressed, but audio instructions on mindfulness is much easier for me, using different instructions from YouTube I think there are many to chose from there

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry to read you are struggling @lucylocket61

I have no advice as this is way outside my experience, but just wanted to offer a friendly hug.

Reactions: Antje77

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm always impressed how good simple breathing exercises are for slowing my mind down... my BG;s have been all over the place and it's stress.
Wish you well.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

I'm sorry lucylocket61 that you're having a hard time. I hope you find something that works for you, to resolve how you're feeling. I find owning two energetic, crazy spaniels helpful, as they're always distracting and wanting to walk and run or lay with their heads on me. If I cry in front of them, they both rush over to try to lick my tears away.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am so sorry to hear that @lucylocket61. Hugs your way.
I fought depression when I was a teenager. I don't know if this will help. But a lot of depression is caused by the sense of loss of control in ones life. So sometimes it can help if you make a plan to make things better? It's hard I know, I remember you get so wrapped up in your own bad thoughts, it's hard to think outside the box so to speak. It's just a really all encompassing feeling.
But I have read that if you "force" yourself to smile, force yourself to think of happy things , force yourself to think of something peaceful it will help you to get used to thinking that way more.

I am not a doctor, I do not know, I just hope something helps you along a better path.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @lucylocket61. Finding the key or keys that unlock the individual answer for you might seem daunting.
But like @DCUKMod and others the basics like breathing are almost always part of any solution.
Inwould also suggest looking into diet as well.
A rather scientific but useful talk on youtube by Dr Ede, called ( perhaps controversially for some) 'The brain needs Meat'
may contain some thoughts for you.
Best Wishes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks people. The stress, for now, is over - unless something else come along, of course. None of the last 12 months was foreseeable. Hence me falling apart now its resolved.

I also have to decide what to do about the steroids. Its a lo daily dose, and does help a bit, but that help is cancelled out by the effect on my blood sugar levels, I think. And I cant make a decision to save my life here.

Will have a look at some of your suggestions too.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being physically ill, all the time, is emotionally draining. Add in lifes ups and downs, and things can get overwhelming. I am sorry you have been having a tough time, @lucylocket61 .

This was a great help to me a few years ago when I ground to a halt.. I probably should revisit from time to time.

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/compassion.htm

I had help of a therapist, but it can be accessed alone. I think we can be our own best therapist. Hope things improve for you soon.