Diabetes should do one !

misslotty1

I am bored and frustrated with Diabetes in general.(im sure a lot of you are)
I hate the fact I can not talk to anyone about it without feeling like a mental attention seeker!

I feel rubbish on a daily basis, I have been to the doctor and they send me off for blood tests. Fab.
They obviously comeback ok because I never hear from anyone again. I know that should cheer me up. But nope.
My bones really ache , my brain does not retain information, Im getting fatter! my mood is all over the place and
I would like who ever it was that stole my energy to give it back !

I would love to be In a new situation where I could introduce myself and have a pleasant chit chat without thinking......Do I feel weird....am I low.....why is my mouth dry ........do I need a drink ......am I high........do they know?
I have started a new job yay, did I under estimate the impact diabetes would have on the whole thing....... YES !

Does any one else get it ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
misslotty1 said:
I am bored and frustrated with Diabetes in general.(im sure a lot of you are)
I hate the fact I can not talk to anyone about it without feeling like a mental attention seeker!

I feel rubbish on a daily basis, I have been to the doctor and they send me off for blood tests. Fab.
They obviously comeback ok because I never hear from anyone again. I know that should cheer me up. But nope.
My bones really ache , my brain does not retain information, Im getting fatter! my mood is all over the place and
I would like who ever it was that stole my energy to give it back !

I would love to be In a new situation where I could introduce myself and have a pleasant chit chat without thinking......Do I feel weird....am I low.....why is my mouth dry ........do I need a drink ......am I high........do they know?
I have started a new job yay, did I under estimate the impact diabetes would have on the whole thing....... YES !

Does any one else get it ?

Hi ,yes I do understand where you are coming from. It can be frustrating, annoying, exasperating, despised and hated at times. The dry mouth made me smile though, I said to my daughter that my mouth felt dry, oh I hope I'm not high, I tested and it was 7.6. So I was pleased it wasn't a high, but it does seem to be there 24/7 :roll:

Congratulations on getting a new job, I hope you do well in your new position :)

Best wishes RRB

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
totally get what your saying. All the brain power it takes every day alone is knackering, throw in an odd high, odd low. Others really don't know and think you got insulin/meds your fine. If only. Hope you feel better soon, and good luck with the new job :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Totally get it too. It's always there in the background and, like you, the dreaded diabetes thoughts are running through my mind. High, low, ketones, is cannula still in, is pump back on normal basal etc etc. Would love a break - even s single day off would be good,

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
Exactly how I feel as well. When I do meet new people and they find out that I am diabetic (either due to testing, seeing my equipment or eating in front of them) I always end up having the same conversation;
"Ohh when were you diagnosed?"
" Early this year"
"Does injecting hurt?"
"Depends where I am injecting"
"What do I do if you have a Hypo?"
"Well I'll either sort it or I will be unconcious - in which case call an ambulance".
Also, as part of a rant does anyone else find it quite a personal question when relative strangers ask you what your blood sugars are? I don't mind volunteering the answer but feel it's kinda rude if I don't know them well.

Not to sound vain but also I swear diabetes has ruined my skin, flakey and spotty. Plus all the marks where I inject. :(

But at least I am healthy (minus the Diabetes)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
brett said:
totally get what your saying. All the brain power it takes every day alone is knackering, throw in an odd high, odd low. Others really don't know and think you got insulin/meds your fine. If only. Hope you feel better soon, and good luck with the new job :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

If only brett, if only.
Once a week I take a tablet called Alendronic for Osteoporosis and I thought' wouldn't it be great if we could just have a once a week Insulin injection for type 1', instead of the 28 to 35 per week. It was a lovely thought at the time :)

Best wishes RRB

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule. The only time I think about diabetes is when I'm testing my blood, 4 times a day. I don't really understand what's to constantly think about. I'm sure I can't be the only one on this forum that is like this?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not necessarily the exception as we're all different and the way T1 affects us all will vary from person to person. If someone has posted about diabetes getting on their nerves / getting them down you will generally get responses from people who feel the same and just want to let off a bit of steam with like minded peeps. :D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I love this post !!!

Yeah really get's on my ..... but everyday I manage a good range I silently high five myself and go to bed praying not to hypo..!!

If you can ever get to the stage when you can tuck it into your back pocket and not to have to conciously think about every social, life situation without wondering if you'll make it through without going high or low (sounds like a quiz show) then that's where I want to be.

It's possible just stay positive and remember your a swan - paddling furiously under the water but looking fabulous on top ! :thumbup:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sarah69 said:
Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule. The only time I think about diabetes is when I'm testing my blood, 4 times a day. I don't really understand what's to constantly think about. I'm sure I can't be the only one on this forum that is like this?

No, you're not alone lol ! I think I may just be lucky but never had a hypo and rarely go that high. I eat what I want within reason and so far complication free. I don't let it get me down but I'm touching wood as I type this out ! Oops, that came out a bit wrong.....Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1, on insulin & never had a hypo?
Wow!
You are certainly better at this lark than I am.
Keep up the good work.
Robert

Jayne1605

I totally understand you x I feel rubbish everyday no energy, lethergy I don't think anyone without diabetes quite gets it, because you look OK you should be OK I wish I really do :-(

mindmastery

Try not to give the diabetes control over your life. I don't even think about mine apart from checking blood sugars 4-5 times a day. I am type 1 (31 years). If it shows a bit high I just say to myself "Oh well it will be lower next time. Thank you". I take the power away from it. You have the "power" not the diabetes. Keep your carbs. low. Go about your day and forget it. The more upset you get with it the more control over your life you give it. Be at "ease". Stress can cause a rapid rise in blood sugars. I find meditation lowers my BS. I always have a great reading after I have meditated.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's very easy as a diabetic to blame lots of side issues on the condition some of which would exist anyway due to age or whatever. Once your sugars are under reasonable control then things like lack of energy, feeling down etc are not due to the physical effects of diabetes but can, of course, be caused by any emotional impact. As others have posted if you can find a way thru the emotional aspect then it narrows down to the boring things like blood testing, low-carbing, carb-counting, injecting etc. These are a nuisance but can be pushed into context. I personally have never found anyone saying anything silly when they find out I have diabetes. Mostly they have asked sensible questions within their range of existing knowledge. I don't expect others to be knowledgeable as there are so many diseases and conditions that I know little about. I try to educate them without being boring.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Totally get and understand where you are all coming from :thumbup:

Diabetes never allows us a day off nor can we take a break/holiday from it either :x
It can make us feel quite angry and frustrated/resentful of it all too .
The regime/routine of self manageing it - can feel so 'relentless' sometimes too.

It is easy to feel and to be too hard on ourselves on the coping and living with it also .
We 'all' will have our good and bad times/days with it .
This is how in supporting/helping each other is vital here .
Each can help others through their bad days/times as well as sharing the good days/times .

We really should be proud of ourselves with the even facing and bearing up and the tackling of it .
We have little choice or option but to have to do so .
Somehow - someway we do find a way through it all . :)

I look back at how and where I first started out - and am 'amazed' at how far I have travelled
and coped with it all :)

But - Yep there certainly HAS been days , when I too have wished it would do one !
So I do totally get and understand the OP ... x

Anna .

megzie2349

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel, I have felt very down because of my diabetes and actually have put myself into DKA by ignoring my diabetes and wishing it to go away but that did not happen. I have struggled with my diabetes, a lot of it is emotional and that transfers to not maintaining myself properly. I find that putting on weight does not help my motivation either and it's a bit of a vicious cycle for me as when I feel low I go for bad food. I find it's not easy talking about how I feel as I get sick of hearing things like "I understand" as they don't understand, it's not easy at all. I'm still trying to get help with it all. Thought I should try on here to talk to others like me; saw this and thought I had to reply as I feel so very similar to you.

M x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
megzie2349 said:
Hi,

I know exactly how you feel, I have felt very down because of my diabetes and actually have put myself into DKA by ignoring my diabetes and wishing it to go away but that did not happen. I have struggled with my diabetes, a lot of it is emotional and that transfers to not maintaining myself properly. I find that putting on weight does not help my motivation either and it's a bit of a vicious cycle for me as when I feel low I go for bad food. I find it's not easy talking about how I feel as I get sick of hearing things like "I understand" as they don't understand, it's not easy at all. I'm still trying to get help with it all. Thought I should try on here to talk to others like me; saw this and thought I had to reply as I feel so very similar to you.

M x

Hello megzie2349.

Welcome to us all here :thumbup:

The difference here is we DO so understand how things can be,feel,affect you .
It isn't an easy condition to self manage alone is it ... (((hug)))

Sometimes it can feel as though you cant do anything/or all the
correct/right thing to make it ALL the right way up !
Certainly a vicious circular thingy for some persons .

It can be lonely having to work at it - as it is such a solo job/condition for us .
Others may want to reassure or say they understand etc ...
We know they cant possibly really know how it can affect us .

It can take its toll - on how we think/feel about ourselves too .

Are you recently diagnosed meg ?
If you are - just let us know please .
Will get more help out to you if you 'are' :thumbup:

In the meantime , feel free to wander around and browse .
Please just ask any question you feel/need to.
There will always be someone willing to help/support you.
No question is a daft question here either . :)

Remember we know here - how it can be and how it can affect us
on both our good and not so good days .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well put Anna :thumbup: Think I may leave my phone open on this post so that friends and family can read it. As others have said, as much as people try to understand and indeed help out (I have a very good support network) they will never fully understand the impact it can have deep down as it's a very complex issue.
I have my first session with a cognitive behavioural therapist next week as my anxiety attacks over my diabetes (low hypos and high numbers with ketones) are impacting so much on my day to day life. 3 years ago I took everything in my stride but one small episode completely affected my life and attitude towards diabetes. I would never have believed that a hypo that resulted in me being unconscious at work would affected me quite so badly.
You've done the right thing in coming on here Megzie.

kerrygrace

megzie2349 said:
Hi,

M x

Hi Megzie,

I know I always hate it when people say 'I understand' (especially at clinic... GRR) but actually, I really do understand. I was diagnosed at the age of 6 (13 years ago now) so for the first few years my mum handled my diabetes. But as I started to take charge in high school and my early teens, things started going wrong. I would lie about my results and completely make them up. I would miss injections, not do blood tests unless absolutely forced to. I had an insulin pump but didn't really use it. In short, I would do the bare minimum to keep myself alive - eat when in hypo, inject some random number of insulin when I ate.

This is a tough lesson to learn - and we all have to learn it in our own way - but I just woke up one day (a month or so ago, actually) and knew I had to sort it out, because my diabetes is MINE, and it is my responsibility. No more running away from it, because the tough truth is - if you ignore it, it still exists. The doctors have been warning me about complications if I didn't take control but I finally have. I test 4 times a day, carb count, inject at every meal and try to eat 90-120g of carb a day. My HBA1c is not good - 14.8 when it was done 6 weeks ago - but you know what, I bet my next one will be a lot better.

So many doctors overlook the emotional effects of having diabetes - they think if they support you by helping you with all the physical stuff that will be enough. But it isn't. Having diabetes is a rough ride sometimes. But again - your diabetes is YOURS, Megzie. Own it! Don't let it control you, control it. Having a positive mindset (though it's SO hard to achieve) will do you wonders. I've found once I sorted out the emotional side, the physical stuff has become a lot easier.

What got me through it most of all was my faith in God - going to church and having a place to scream about the injustice of it all helps me so much. And I know that no matter what happens to me in the future I'm safe because God loves me. But we're not all the same - find the place that makes you feel better :)

Sorry for rambling. I hope any of this was helpful to anyone who might have read it. Please give me tips on lowering HBA1c too, anyone!!
Kerry x