Diabetic BGL vs non-Diabetic

BeanieRob

Hello.

I've been diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic, and I got hold of a BGL finger prick test kit three days ago.

Please can someone explain how my type 2 BG levels will likely differ from a non-diabetic. Is it that mine will rocket after a doughnut and not come down for ages, or do 'normal' people's do that too? Is it that my fasting level is higher than most 'normal'' people's?

I'm religiously pricking my finger and noting the values, but unless I do the same to my girlfriend (who's not having any of it) then I don't know how mine differ or how to even know that I'm diabetic. (I'm not experiencing any of the 'classic' symptoms I've been reading about on these forums).

Many thanks,
Robbie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As everyone differs and testing only gives you your level at that moment, it is not really something to make comparisons with other people but to see how you react.
Take your first level, eat a meal, and test two hours after the first test. Look at the difference.
If you have a rise of three whole numbers or more, you might have overdone the carbs, so reducing the amount of high carb foods or swapping to a lower carb option would be a good idea.
From time to time our Hba1c is checked. If you see normal numbers then your control is good. If you are still seeing high results then maybe reduce carbs so you see only 2.5 or 2.0 rises after eating.
You might well get down to a normal level of Hba1c, but you will always be classed as diabetic, even if you are in remission.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

For type 2s the big issue is all carbs- not just sugar. You will find that a lot of processed food is very high in carbs. Testing is really useful to determine the level of carbs your body can deal with. Everyone is different and also some respond more to some carbs than others.
Below is a useful link that will give you a heap of information in a very digestible manner.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

The best thing is that finding out that it is carbs gives you a way to bring down your blood sugar levels by reducing your carb intake.

Good luck and welcome.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Maybe you could persuade your girl friend to check with you for a week, but not necessarily for your initial reason. My best friends sister was diagnosed as Type 2 3 weeks ago after a routine set of tests as a vegetarian. If "we" (assuming you are in the UK) have health figures that track with the US, then it might be wise for your other half to get an inclination of her status.

Reactions: Hether

BeanieRob

Thanks VashtiB, that's a really informative article.

My gf is never going to let me (or anyone else) near her with any kind of pointy needly type of thing. I know not to push it when she pulls that face I saw when suggesting it.

BeanieRob

When I wake up, my blood glucose level is the highest of the day.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on there? Is it my body burning fat?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I wake up, my blood glucose level is the highest of the day.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on there? Is it my body burning fat?
It is because the liver releases glucose and there is not enough stored insulin (phase 1 insulin response) to deal with it. This tends to happen every morning as part of the circadian rhythm. AKA 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

BeanieRob

It is because the liver releases glucose and there is not enough stored insulin (phase 1 insulin response) to deal with it. This tends to happen every morning as part of the circadian rhythm. AKA 'Dawn Phenomenon'.
So can that number be a meaningful measure of my diabetes Mark?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the dawn phenomenon is just something that happens - you can influence everything by getting carb intake at meals right.
I make chaffles - cheese waffles, to wrap burgers when warm and other things when cold, and there is 'fat head' dough which seems to be good for sausage rolls.
You will not really learn much by testing other people - well perhaps not to even try it - the concept of eat, test adjust is a personal one.
Once I was seeing under 8mmol/l on the meter I stuck to the meals I was eating then and my levels drifted down to under 7 fairly quickly. I get a Hba1c of 42 with that - close enough to normal I think.