Diagnosed last Friday.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You've had a lot of good advice so far. Your GP will have guessed T2 rather than T1 as most do that. If you have some excess weight then he/she is probably correct, but if you are normal weight and/or have lost weight recently without trying then you are more likely to be T1 (LADA). I've been thru that, so do ask for the two tests for T1 if you fit the slim category. Any BS finger-prick reading that regularly goes into the 20s needs very close monitoring in case you are going into DKA. If you feel unwell or the BS keeps going up then go to A&E. Normally you should test around 2 hours after a meal. The 3 month wait after first diagnosis is normal. The Sukkarto SR (generic is Metformin SR) is a very safe drug and will help a bit but the low-carb diet will help the most.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention!
This is an extra tip for my super motivated patients. There is something called a glycemic index. GI tells you which foods will cause your blood sugar to spike up really fast (after eating) and which foods cause a steady, gradual increase in your blood sugar.
Those foods with a low-medium glycemic index are the foods you want to stick with because it will be much easier to manage/ predict your blood sugar levels when they aren't bouncing up and down in response to foods with a high glycemic index.

How about avoiding them altogether?

Reactions: jjraak

Danny72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. You've had a lot of good advice so far. Your GP will have guessed T2 rather than T1 as most do that. If you have some excess weight then he/she is probably correct, but if you are normal weight and/or have lost weight recently without trying then you are more likely to be T1 (LADA). I've been thru that, so do ask for the two tests for T1 if you fit the slim category. Any BS finger-prick reading that regularly goes into the 20s needs very close monitoring in case you are going into DKA. If you feel unwell or the BS keeps going up then go to A&E. Normally you should test around 2 hours after a meal. The 3 month wait after first diagnosis is normal. The Sukkarto SR (generic is Metformin SR) is a very safe drug and will help a bit but the low-carb diet will help the most.

Thank you all so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Diabell, I haven't been showing the Type 1 symptoms, I am quite overweight whereby my GP classed me as "morbidly obese", so I have been trying to lose weight rather than losing it unnaturally.

So I took my bloods before my meal today and it was 15.1, then two hours after it was 17.4. The 15.1 is the lowest I've seen it so far and it gave me a little smile until I saw it change to 17.4. I know these readings are not in the 20's anymore (for the time being at least) but I think it's still too high and it is worrying me that I can't seem to lower it :( even though I've made a lot of changes in the last 7 days.

Take Care,
Danny

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Hi Danny
Welcome to the fold mate.
There is a great old adage it goes like this "Time is the greatest healer"

Stay with the low carb high fat approach to speed your recovery up. However make haste slowly.
Make sure you taylor what you eat, to your lifestyle. Because it is not a diet my friend it is a whole new way of life.
You will lose weight without trying, your blood sugar will drop without you forcing it. and certainly stressing about it slow your progress. You have everything you need to be a loser and a winner.

You may like to read the fantastic success stories of posters who have been exactly where you are now.

My readings were often in the twenties I never felt any symptoms. I thought I felt fine. That is until I came here and found out about LCHF and a keto way of eating. Within a week I felt so much better, within a month ten years younger!

Stay tuned and read about worked for others, experiment, and don't be fooled in to thinking you don't have the power to make a positive change... LOOK! you have come so far already.

We are always here... some one will answer your questions or will point you in the right direction to get your answers.

Remember: We are not strangers, only friends you have not met yet!
Po

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That alteration in blood glucose level is not bad at all - it means that you are not getting large increases after eating. Just keep on in the same way and your metabolism should soon show its appreciation of your change in diet.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Diabell, I haven't been showing the Type 1 symptoms, I am quite overweight whereby my GP classed me as "morbidly obese", so I have been trying to lose weight rather than losing it unnaturally.

So I took my bloods before my meal today and it was 15.1, then two hours after it was 17.4. The 15.1 is the lowest I've seen it so far and it gave me a little smile until I saw it change to 17.4. I know these readings are not in the 20's anymore (for the time being at least) but I think it's still too high and it is worrying me that I can't seem to lower it :( even though I've made a lot of changes in the last 7 days.

Take Care,
Danny

Hi @Danny72

It can take time for the changes to diet to lower blood sugars and looking back at my first few months (after a T2 diagnosis) worth of results on Metformin, it took two months for me to drop down to single figures. However, I went from an Hba1c of 144 to 57 in 3 months, and thereabouts I stayed for the next two years.

I was also morbidly obese on that initial T2 diagnosis (which we now know was wrong) and that weight blinkered everyone into instantly thinking "Classic middle-aged, morbidly obese soul, clearly taking no care with health, got to be T2" without considering any other option. Which was understandable, but wrong. I ate what was considered a healthy diet throughout my first 50 years and I was not inactive, just not into organised exercise!!

I made no real attempt to halve my body weight, but it happened naturally as a result of being stricter with myself about restricting carb intake as it clearly helped my blood sugars, and introducing a lot of walking.

I won't bore you with all the story, but I have since been re-diagnosed with LADA, a slow, late-onset form of Type 1, and am determined to educate the less enlightened medical profession (which does not include my clinic staff or my current GP) on watching out for the exceptions to the general assumptions of all kind often made about weight!! So, if bloods start going up, you're doing all you can to keep them low, and weight starts dropping off for no reason - get it checked and don't be fobbed off!!

Keeping good clear records and photos of the weight differences probably saved me from a nasty DKA experience!!

Good luck!

Danny72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, once again thank you for the responses, this has been such a help for me, I am so glad I've found this forum.

The readings today were better again but only slightly. This morning when I got up it was 15.4, then before my main meal it was 15.2 and 2 hours from that it was 14.9 which is my lowest yet. I hope this means a) its slowing coming down and b) I am doing something right. I am checking everything I eat to ensure its ok to do so. The only thing is that I have been feeling rough the last couple of days, aches and pains everywhere, feet, hands, back, head etc... but I am not sure if this is to do with the really heavy cold I have or just the general symptoms I expect to experience whilst my levels are still high.

Thank you again,
Danny

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
but I am not sure if this is to do with the really heavy cold I have or just the general symptoms I expect to experience whilst my levels are still high.

Bear in mind that if you have a really heavy cold your blood sugars are likely to go up anyway. You may see a big improvement once you've recovered from the cold and are adopting a low carb approach.

And also bear in mind that issues with vision are very common while your blood sugars are going back to normal. Now is not a good time to buy expensive glasses....

Good luck

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hello all, once again thank you for the responses, this has been such a help for me, I am so glad I've found this forum.

The readings today were better again but only slightly. This morning when I got up it was 15.4, then before my main meal it was 15.2 and 2 hours from that it was 14.9 which is my lowest yet. I hope this means a) its slowing coming down and b) I am doing something right. I am checking everything I eat to ensure its ok to do so. The only thing is that I have been feeling rough the last couple of days, aches and pains everywhere, feet, hands, back, head etc... but I am not sure if this is to do with the really heavy cold I have or just the general symptoms I expect to experience whilst my levels are still high.

Thank you again,
Danny
Hi Danny,
As has been said, you Blood Glucose figures, especially the difference between before and after meals are now quite good and moving in the right direction. The only problem is the high levels that you are starting the day with. these are partly caused by the 'Dawn Phenomenon' which is your liver being 'helpful' and giving you some energy to be able to hunt/gather your breakfast - not the liver has not heard of Larders, Fridges or Supermarkets!
These 'fasting' pre-breakfast Blood Glucose levels take longer to come down that the rises upon eating, so be patient so long as they are not trending higher.

One thought about you feeling 'rough': This may be the dreaded 'Keto Flu' aka 'Atkins Flu', if you have really cut down hard on carbs - you could be in a state of ketosis - this is not the same as DKA, - so don't worry. What is means is that since you are eating very little carbs, your body is producing Ketones to fuel it, rather than Blood Glucose - this is actually a good thing because it reduces the Insulin in your blood and enables you to 'burn off' your excess body fat as energy!

The fastest cure for the Keto flu is to increase your Sodium and Potassium intake. The easiest way I found is to buy some Lo/Lite Salt (Sainsburys do an Own Brand version). This tastes like ordinary salt but contains both Sodium Chloride (salt) and Potassium Chloride. Use this liberally on your meals and you will probably feel better.
Alternatively you could just wait it out - but that could take a week or two.

Another possibility is that you body has been so long accustomed to a high BG level that it is throwing a tantrum now that the BG level is so much lower. Again this is a good thing and is only temporary.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've been given some great advice on this thread.

It is very overwhelming when you first get diagnosed- so much to learn and so much food that you can't eat. I was devastated when I was diagnosed. Now however it is just part of my life- don't get me wrong it had made a big difference but it is easier to deal with.

I also have a lot of weight to lose and have lost about 14 kilos so far- since mid July so I'm happy with that. I eat cheese a lot and cream everyday. Don't worry so much about calories or cheese or that type of stuff. This is the first (only) time I have ever lost weight without counting calories. It is also a lot easier to count carbs. So many things have not c arbs so if you stick to them as basics and just add a few low carb things it is much less counting g and weighing than counting calories.

I have more weight to lose b ut my promise to myself was that the first 6 months would be just able blood sugar levels and my 3 month review had my HbA1C level about the middle of the n normal level- that is not a diabetic reading at all. I'm feeling optimistic that my next test will also be in the normal level- maybe a bit higher as work has been incredibly stressful which effects the levels. I've lost weighty without that being the focus and not limiting my eating of cheese etc.

Good luck and welcome