diet coke please

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello everyone

have been speaking to my sister inlaw who has recently started working at a well known fast food chain and she has just advised me if i go in our local branch not to choose the diet coke for dylan as it all comes out the same mix so isnt in fact diet :evil: :evil:

i had wondered on the times i treated him to a meal why it affected him so bad no wonder if the coke was full fat and we didnt account for it, makes u mad that these people dont know the effect that little thing can make. makes u wonder if ur safer ordering full fat coke and accounting for it than the other way around doesnt it

anna marie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Had the same problem at a pub once which sent me soaring ......... :(

Remedy is to ALWAYS stick to bottled/canned diet drinks......NEVER have anything from a pump. It's a common problem mentioned here before.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i was shocked always assumed it would be fine makes me mad that i would always ask and say is it diet only he diabetic its important and they would always say yes it is, there should be something that can be done about it really he will have to stick to fruit shoot in there from now on i think

anna marie

leggott

We only let our kids have it if we can see the can or bottle. You could use those strips that you use to check sugar in urine and just dip one of those in the glass - if it changes colour then you know it has sugar in it.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i think i will be doing the same from now on its a shame they are allowed to get away with it dylan loved having his diet coke with his meal i will def be more wary from now on
anna marie

sugar2

Hi Anne Marie,

That is quite shocking! In my 30+ year of diabetes and diet coke addiction, I have only had this happen once, and on that occasion, they told me that they "had pressed the wrong button". I think the advice is very sound. i have to admit though, I don't follow it myself, as, due to the fact that I have been drinking it for so long, I can tell the "fat" version after one tiny sip, maybe even before, as it actually smells different.

I realise though hat this is certainly nothing to be proud of...so a can or a bottle is the better option for Dylan.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yeah i think its def the route to go to be honest im shocked that this seems to be ok tho and no concern is made of the fact its actually false advertising (on their part not ours) anyway i guess its been a prob for a while i must walk round with my eyes shut :lol:

anna marie

Dippy3103

I can tell full fat coke apart in one sip...
My non diabetic 4 year old goes loopy if given fruit shoot.. Don't know what is in it but those brightly coloured bottles strike fear into my heart...

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
o dear no we have no prob with the fruit shoots but do have to make sure they r the no added sugar version, my partner can usually tell the difference but i dont like coke so all tastes horrible to me :lol:

anna marie

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I haven't tried this but lots of people tell me they use their meter to test the softdrink for sugar. There would be some meters on the market not suitable for this but my Optimum is apparently quite okay. This is good practice for when kids become adults and have drinks out with friends and nightclubs etc...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It comes as no surprise and I bet this practise is more wide-spread then we know. Pleased your sister-in-law has give you the heads-up on this one and shame on the establishment for being so ****-right lazy, irresponsible and negligent with peoples health! :evil:

As Cugila has said, this often comes up as a focus of discussion on the forum and I no longer drink soft drinks from a pump and opt for bottle/cans instead just to air on the side of caution.

Nigel

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a look on the food standards agency website and it says on there...

"Occasionally, misdescription can affect your health or safety. People who cannot eat certain foods because they are intolerant or allergic to them may suffer severe or life threatening reactions.

It makes it much more difficult to avoid these foods if they have incorrect or inaccurate labels. A contaminated product could also cause illness if it was deliberately being passed off as authentic.

The FSA has a programme of surveillance specifically devoted to food authenticity where we carry out ad hoc checks on foods to identify adulteration and misdescription."

Could some of these places be checked out I wonder....a few fines and they might stop this practice. If no-one reports them they will just keep doing it. Just a thought.
Regards
Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
angieG said:
Could some of these places be checked out I wonder....a few fines and they might stop this practice. If no-one reports them they will just keep doing it. Just a thought.
Regards

No doubt these checks take place now but they get advance notice of these checks and have time to rectify these discrepancies. As ever it all boils down to policing these establishments, most council environmental health department are stretched to the limit, with councils having to slash their budgets further I can only see these inspections taking place less and less! :(

Nigel

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe an interesting case for some of these investigative tv shows then that publicise the rogues?

Angie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
leggott said:
We only let our kids have it if we can see the can or bottle. You could use those strips that you use to check sugar in urine and just dip one of those in the glass - if it changes colour then you know it has sugar in it.

I do that, keep a few strips to test. We had a meal out one night and I'm sure it was full sugar coke that they served Jess. Her readings were sky high all night despite lots of correcting. Since that night I bought a jar of the test strips and carry them with her test meter so that I can double check any drinks that don't come in the can.

Hazza

The test strips sound like a great idea. We will be using them from now on, especially as we will be going to Goa in a couple of weeks and you never know what might hapen, although they do generally open the bottle or can in your presence. Better safe than sorry.

Harry

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've eaten in almost every fast food chain (not KFC cos I don't eat meat!) and I've always been served diet drinks. In restaurants I've been served normal rather than diet drinks by mistake sometimes, when I've said 'I asked for diet, this isnt diet' they've always changed it no problem.

I can usually tell by taste (I know many people who refuse to drink diet drinks because they taste so different to the sugar ones), but if not use my blood sugar meter. I had great fun one day testing every liquid possible when I realsied that it worked with everything, not just blood - to be fair I was quite bored that day though!

In pubs it often comes out the same nozzle and hose so there will be some sugar even in a diet drink, they don't wash the hose in between.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
angieG said:
Maybe an interesting case for some of these investigative tv shows then that publicise the rogues?

Angie

I agree absolutely, I never drink any fizzy drink from a dispenser as mistakes and accidents can happen but when a "well known fast food chain" does this as a matter of course I think it is outrageous and if I was a parent of a diabetic child and had been told that I would write to the company chairman, the local paper, and to as many consumer groups as I could, oh, and diabetes uk for good measure.

Not everyone avoids sugar as part of a fad diet, this is scandalous :evil: :evil:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When buying soft drinks from fast food outlets, I always ask "That is diet, isn't it?" before taking the tray away. A couple of times, the server has admittedly some doubt and immediately drawn another cup. Thus, I've never had a full sugar drink by accident.

A group called DiDkA (Diet Drink Awareness) is trying to improve the situation by testing campaigning.