1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet tips for diabetic type 1

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by claire91, Apr 20, 2014.

1. claire91

claire91 · Member

Any advice for Dieting and exercise for a type 1?
    I go to legs bums and tums fitness class, and it always decreases my blood sugar.
    I go to circuit training which is more intense and my blood sugar goes up.. and it doesnt go lower at all later in the day.. (which the doctor said should happen when i go to diabetes clinic)
    I decrease my insulin before I go because its so intense has anyone experienced that?

What type of dieting tips has anyone got? As in meals that fill you up so you dont have to snack throughout the day ( As I do).
    Im not big i weigh 9st 8 but wanna loose a bit more ready for my summer holiday!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your blood sugar should rise and then fall after circuit training. If it's not falling, maybe you are reducing your insulin (basal?) too much?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Steady cardio generally lowers levels, intensive or competitive sport usually raises levels. Testing is key before and after and adjust insulin levels as required prior.

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Ref diet, protein is supposed to be the most filling food and fat such as cheese may help. Obviously keep the carbs down if you want to lose just a bit more weight and minimise blood sugar

• Like Like x 2
  5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you think protein is more filling than fat, cal for cal? I would have said the opposite.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook