Dietitian advice to me

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my GP arranged for me to see a dietitian in the GP surgery.
the advice she gave to me was avoid saturated fats/carbs.
brown rice over white.
carry on with the chapatti but chose wholemeal flour
cut out cheese -
the most worrying thing she said was have Weetabix for breakfast instead of eggs.
she didn't say eggs were bad but the advice she said was have cereal in the morning instead of eggs was
very not helpful since that has been my breakfast for many years now.
-
not to be disrespectful to her i did mention how can a prawn sandwich be bad for me than any other sandwich ? apparently prawns aren't good. :/
-
she did say, she will see me again in September..

so, brown rice is better than white.
chapatis as long as the flour i use isn't high in carbs is OK.
anything else in moderation is fine.
i don't know what to think because i thought that all carbs turn into glucose and will run my sugar high.
i did ask her "if i cut out carbs altogether" would it be better for me, than just eating carbs in moderation, she said "don't cut out the carbs altogether" and in fact nobody from my endo to the DN to the GP and advised me to cut out carbs altogether.

i don't know where this thread is going i will stop here.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77 and filly

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Was there any particular reason your GP wanted you to see a dietician?
Amazed they still don't realise that brown bread and rice have almost the same carbs as white.
Obviously, with some of the meds listed on your profile you'd probably need support to cut out carbs in order to avoid hypos.

And why cut out cheese? Since I started low carb and eating more cheese my cholesterol numbers have improved.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was there any particular reason your GP wanted you to see a dietician?
Amazed they still don't realise that brown bread and rice have almost the same carbs as white.
Obviously, with some of the meds listed on your profile you'd probably need support to cut out carbs in order to avoid hypos.

And why cut out cheese? Since I started low carb and eating more cheese my cholesterol numbers have improved.
Personally, i think my GP think i am eating bad since they think my numbers wouldn't be high unless i was eating bad. understandable but, i have mentioned my meals to them and they said from what i have listed i shouldn't be going high at all. / and cheese and saturated fats she told me to cut out since my bloods show my cholesterol is high.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
brown rice over white.
cut out cheese -
the most worrying thing she said was have Weetabix for breakfast instead of eggs.
she didn't say eggs were bad but the advice she said was have cereal in the morning instead of eggs was
-
not to be disrespectful to her i did mention how can a prawn sandwich be bad for me than any other sandwich ? apparently prawns aren't good. :/
-

i don't know what to think because i thought that all carbs turn into glucose and will run my sugar high.
i did ask her "if i cut out carbs altogether" would it be better for me, than just eating carbs in moderation, she said "don't cut out the carbs altogether" and in fact nobody from my endo to the DN to the GP and advised me to cut out carbs altogether.

I guess the basic issue is that the "current official advice" is to base meals around starchy carbs and to reduce saturated fats.

Your practice and your dietitian are simply dishing out the standard advice. The rise in obesity and T2 diabetes that has followed adoption of this way of eating is plain, but there is little prospect that anything will change anyway soon.

I (and many others) have followed the earlier advice that used to be given (up to around 1980 or so) which was to cut out carbs and sugar. It's worked for me.

You might find it useful to read these:

best of luck

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i a
I guess the basic issue is that the "current official advice" is to base meals around starchy carbs and to reduce saturated fats.

Your practice and your dietitian are simply dishing out the standard advice. The rise in obesity and T2 diabetes that has followed adoption of this way of eating is plain, but there is little prospect that anything will change anyway soon.

I (and many others) have followed the earlier advice that used to be given (up to around 1980 or so) which was to cut out carbs and sugar. It's worked for me.

You might find it useful to read these:

best of luck
thank you, i will give it a read.

Reactions: filly

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
brown rice over white.
cut out cheese -
-
-

Had to chuckle at the prawns. I also have a high Cholesterol. I still eat prawns. Cholesterol high in prawns. I just do not worry. It will be interesting at my next review. I have also found doing what feels right for you and your body is the right way to go. I have Keto days and carnivore days. Best of luck.

Reactions: UsmanMo96

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@UsmanMo96 .
You have been around a a while now, and your health issues are individual to you.
What works for some, will not work for someone else.
So when attending appointments w endos, doctors, dieticians, dsns and uncle tom cobbly and all.
You have an idea that they will follow the latest NHS Nice guidelines.
I repeatedly reply to posts, that using a CGM or glucometer to get readings around meals, to find out what that meal does to your BG levels.
But along with that, a food diary along with the information of the meal and anything relevant!
Showing them that Brown rice, was just as bad as white rice in producing a BG spike higher than you would want. How cooking in saturated fats minimise spikes. How vegetable oils give a higher by reading and you could go through the lot. Higher than normal spikes are not good for you. It is the carbs and sugars that do it!
T2, is when you are hyperglycaemic, intolerance to carbs and insulin resitant.
Eating a tailored dietary regime, designed by you, for you, which will see BG, hba1c levels come down, then the rest will follow, including those horrible symptoms. Proven by your readings in your food diary. That will show, cheese, eggs and saturated fat is far better for you than whatever carbs they say.
Why would any dietician who knows what weetabix is made of, Ask any T2 to put something full of wheat, sugar and industrial sugars and additives is irresponsible!
Like a lot of us, we would ignore her advice, get your BG in control with a low carb dietary regime.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
brown rice over white.
cut out cheese -
-
-

I know what to think but I suspect I already try the patience of the moderators quite a bit - lets just say I'd not have been able to sit through that advice without bursting into laughter at every pronouncement of what is good.
Where do they find these people?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know what to think but I suspect I already try the patience of the moderators quite a bit - lets just say I'd not have been able to sit through that advice without bursting into laughter at every pronouncement of what is good.
Where do they find these people?
They are trained!
Might as well bring AI in to do her job!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
They are trained!
Might as well bring AI in to do her job!
Training must have been some decades ago if dietitian still thinks dietary cholesterol is bad (as in prawns and eggs), when it constitutes less than 20% and the body makes all the rest!

Reactions: Lamont D

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@UsmanMo96 .
You have been around a a while now, and your health issues are individual to you.
What works for some, will not work for someone else.
So when attending appointments w endos, doctors, dieticians, dsns and uncle tom cobbly and all.
You have an idea that they will follow the latest NHS Nice guidelines.
I repeatedly reply to posts, that using a CGM or glucometer to get readings around meals, to find out what that meal does to your BG levels.
But along with that, a food diary along with the information of the meal and anything relevant!
Showing them that Brown rice, was just as bad as white rice in producing a BG spike higher than you would want. How cooking in saturated fats minimise spikes. How vegetable oils give a higher by reading and you could go through the lot. Higher than normal spikes are not good for you. It is the carbs and sugars that do it!
T2, is when you are hyperglycaemic, intolerance to carbs and insulin resitant.
Eating a tailored dietary regime, designed by you, for you, which will see BG, hba1c levels come down, then the rest will follow, including those horrible symptoms. Proven by your readings in your food diary. That will show, cheese, eggs and saturated fat is far better for you than whatever carbs they say.
Why would any dietician who knows what weetabix is made of, Ask any T2 to put something full of wheat, sugar and industrial sugars and additives is irresponsible!
Like a lot of us, we would ignore her advice, get your BG in control with a low carb dietary regime.
Thank you
yes i remember weetabix used to spike me so high when i used to have it. no longer have it.
i only went to see the dietitian since i didn't want to say no if it was offered and of course to learn anything that maybe i didn't know. but, of course i won't stop prawns or eggs since i wouldn't be left with many options for breakfast if i did. I am going to try out a CGM for a month again to see if i go up with minimum carbs - i used to wear the libre years ago for a full year and i stopped due to the money side of things but i will just purchase to see what i gave get from the data it gives me.