Difference between type 1 and 2 diabetes?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I just made a complete ass of my self
I thought type 1 was were by that person was not producing enough insulin and type 2 was u have too much

Am i wrong as im t2...help

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You are not so far wrong most T1's do not produce insulin though some have a honeymoon period in which they will continue to produce insulin to some degree for a while but will have very high blood sugars unless treated with inulin. T2 is more about insulin resistance where you are producing insulin but it is not utilized very well your insulin levels for this reason can become very high and also you can have prolonged high blood sugars because of this as the resistance stops the glucose from being pushed into cells by the insulin.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Type 1 - Pancreas stops producing insulin so it needs to be injected.

Type 2 - Pancreas produces a little insulin but it is not utilized properly so medication is needed to stimulate the panreas to produce more. A bit like whipping a horse towards the end of a race to make it run that little bit faster.

Thats keeping it very simple..

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They should be called different things IMO.
Type 1 is caused by the immune system creating antibodies that attack the beta cells in the pancreas rendering the unlucky person unable to produce their own insulin - nobody knows how/why... hopefully will one day.
Type 2 is hereditary but severity controllable with good diet and healthy life style.
Hate it when T1s are tarred with with the "you've eaten too much sugar" brush.
T1 and T2 are both related to insulin use in our complex chemical reactors (bodies) but very different things... not enough people get it, lots of GPs are unfortunately not that knowledgeable on it either, speaking from experience

Reactions: Grannypat

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
May be worth mentioning there actually another LADA.(late onset type 1 diabetes also called type 1.5)
Type 2 can be misdiagnosed as Type 1 and every other combination of getting a wrong diagnosis

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Type 1 - Pancreas stops producing insulin so it needs to be injected.

Type 2 - Pancreas produces a little insulin but it is not utilized properly so medication is needed to stimulate the panreas to produce more. A bit like whipping a horse towards the end of a race to make it run that little bit faster.

Thats keeping it very simple..

I would agree with the definitions except for the Type 2 "medication is required" part. Lots of us manage purely through diet to keep blood sugar levels down...which can be hard work but in most cases is achievable.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Type 1 is caused by the immune system creating antibodies that attack the beta cells in the pancreas rendering the unlucky person unable to produce their own insulin - nobody knows how/why... hopefully will one day.
Type 2 is hereditary but severity controllable with good diet and healthy life style.
T1 and T2 are both related to insulin use in our complex chemical reactors (bodies) but very different things... not enough people get it, lots of GPs are unfortunately not that knowledgeable on it either, speaking from experience

Type 2 is not necessarily hereditary.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I would agree with the definitions except for the Type 2 "medication is required" part. Lots of us manage purely through diet to keep blood sugar levels down...which can be hard work but in most cases is achievable.

Absolutely.. I should have added..

Reactions: pleinster

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tends to be then...

No it doesn't!
It can be, but putting it in to one paragraph barely does it credit!

T2 can be caused by so many different ways, so I won't list them!

There are other conditions that are symptomatic with diabetes, that is why it is not a T1, T2 forum.

I agree about our GPs, there is a lot of them that don't understand how individual diabetes and other endocrine or hormonal conditions can be.

Reactions: Australia 1

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are other conditions that are symptomatic with diabetes, that is why it is not a T1, T2 forum.
This is why I tried to the best of my ability to give a simple answer to the question put what is the difference between T1 and T2 diabetes without dragging in to it the plethora of conditions that constitute diabetes.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hate it when T2s are tarred with the "you've eaten too much sugar" brush too ;)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy, I don't think type 2s should be tarred with that brush either. Eating too much sugar does not cause type 2, I think of it more as a body not being able to cope with carbs so therefore any carbs ingested do not get processed properly - that is a condition/failure of the body, (otherwise all people who eat loads of sugar would be diabetics), having said that, a healthy lifestyle and diet does help a type 2 to minimise the effects of their diabetes and may have kept it at bay before diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This subject often comes up and due to the rather silly global definitions of T1 and T2 by the medics it adds to the confusion. T1 definitely means a serious lack of insulin and typically thru antibody action BUT there are other causes of islet cell death apart from antibodies and the end result is the same with the same treatment. This it typically called LADA and often comes on slowly in later life. Even LADA assumes antibodies but things like viruses have the same effect. T2 is usually caused by insulin resistance thru a build-up of stored fat thru eating too many carbs or possibly other causes. As others have said the body can't use the insulin due to the stored fat and the pancreas creates ever more. The c-peptide test can help measure insulin production. The whole subject is more complex than this but essentially you are right.

Reactions: Australia 1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I just made a complete ass of my self
I thought type 1 was were by that person was not producing enough insulin and type 2 was u have too much

Am i wrong as im t2...help
Seems right enough to me. Certainly for type twos in the early years/decades, they can be overproducing insulin to try to overcome the cellular resistance to it.