Dizzyness

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have searched ant not quite found the topic i was looking for so i will ask.

As a start with, im not overly concerned about this, just wondering if there is a simple explanation.

Recently i have been suffering from fairly severe dizziness if i stand up too quickly. Not all the time, but if im couching for a while then stand up i can almost topple.

Never really had this before, not sure if its just that now im lighter im crouching to do things rather then sitting on my ass, or if its a potential side effect of Metformin? If does seem to have come on since i upped my dose to 2g/day.

May all be a coincidence? Just want to get a feeling if it could be something dietary/easy to fix with a change in routine, or its just one of those things.

I am eating what i consider to be a very healthy balanced diet (Meats, fish, fruit, veg and complex carbs), i dont think im "lacking" aside from probably a few hundred calories a day which is for weight loss?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask if you have hypertension and are you on any meds for it? When I was first diagnosed Type 2 I was on two BP meds. Once I’d lost weight and got my HbA1c to a non diabetic level by low carbing my BP had dropped to the point where I was getting dizzy spells especially on getting up quickly. I was then able to stop one of the BP meds.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree you should check your BP. Buy a BP monitor to check at various times. Diabetes or Metformin don't in themselves normally cause dizziness unless you are hypo or have low BP

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, yes I have checked blood pressure, it was high at 160/100 when first diagnosed.
Reducing salt, caffeine, increased excersise and weight loss has it at 110s/70s so it's okay the moment. I have a home measure that, although I'm not checking every day like I was at the beginning

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As a start with, im not overly concerned about this, just wondering if there is a simple explanation.

Recently i have been suffering from fairly severe dizziness if i stand up too quickly. Not all the time, but if im couching for a while then stand up i can almost topple.

Never really had this before, not sure if its just that now im lighter im crouching to do things rather then sitting on my ass, or if its a potential side effect of Metformin? If does seem to have come on since i upped my dose to 2g/day.

May all be a coincidence? Just want to get a feeling if it could be something dietary/easy to fix with a change in routine, or its just one of those things.

I am eating what i consider to be a very healthy balanced diet (Meats, fish, fruit, veg and complex carbs), i dont think im "lacking" aside from probably a few hundred calories a day which is for weight loss?

Does it feel like the room or things around you are spinning or moving?

No wax in ears? Using those Q-tips can sometimes push wax way back in there, and build-up can cause imbalance.

Sinus and head colds can also be the culprit.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi sno0opy,
I used to get those symptoms every time I drove for more than 30min and then got out of the car quickly. My GP diagnosed a slight problem with the constrictors in the veins in my legs - which are supposed to prevent blood draining down into your legs when you stand up. In addition to that, I tend to have lowish Blood Pressure, although I suffer from 'white coat syndrome' so it takes a while to get back to my normal levels when I visit the GP.
While I was in hospital after my 3x CAB the doctors concern over discharging me was both to lower my heart rate to below 100 and to raise my Blood Pressure to above 100.

Of course your case may not be the same, so I suggest you ask your GP.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it feel like the room or things around you are spinning or moving?

No wax in ears? Using those Q-tips can sometimes push wax way back in there, and build-up can cause imbalance.

Sinus and head colds can also be the culprit.
Yes it is more like the room is wobbling, not quite spinning but it never happens when im sitting down on a chair. Seems to be when i stand up properly from a crouch - i was doing skirting boards and so

Either way, as i say unless it continues for a long time or gets worse im not worried, just wasn't sure if anything was connected. Thank you for your comments.

Wax could be a factor, i am famous for the candles i can probably make when i get my ears cleaned! Perhaps the additional exercise and swimming i have been doing has blocked me up a bit more!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, yes I have checked blood pressure, it was high at 160/100 when first diagnosed.
Reducing salt, caffeine, increased excersise and weight loss has it at 110s/70s so it's okay the moment. I have a home measure that, although I'm not checking every day like I was at the beginning
You might be a bit low then. I know the room starts spinning for me if my bloods are that number. If you changed your diet, like skipping bread and such, you get a lot less salt than you usually would, as it is. For me it meant going from a normal bloodpressure to low, so I have to toss more salt into my meals not to have the world go black whenever I stand up. ;)

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be worth asking your Dr about labyrthinthitis if other things are ruled out. I suffer with it a couple of times a year, after a cold.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sno0opy

110/70 seems to me to be on the low side of normal to me - I'm not medically trained, but have had several blood pressure issues over the past few years! It's possible you might have a condition called postular hypotension, when your blood pressure drops when you rise from lying down or sitting to standing. If you have a BP meter, take your blood pressure as normal sitting, then stand for at least a minute, and then take BP whilst standing. There may be a significant drop in BP. I hope you haven't got this, as it can be a real nuisance! I hope that you find out the cause to your dizziness and can get it treated very soon.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hi. I really sympathise as I understand how it is. I'd go along with the have the blood pressure checked advice. Mine tends to be on the low side between 104/64 and 110/70 and in June I spent a day in our local hospital because it dropped to 54/?. One of the explanations I was given, and I don't have a definitive diagnosis as yet, was because I had eaten little the previous day as I felt very sick. I didn't worry about not eating as fasting can be a useful way of helping control sugar. About fifteen minutes after breakfast I knew I was going to faint and spent half and hour drifting in and out. I was also advised to keep up hydration, as if your blood pressure runs a bit low, being dehydrated can contribute to dizziness. I was also advised to get out of bed slowly and sit up slowly after lying down as I have fainted in the night jumping out of bed with cramp, presumably because blood pressure drops quickly. I know this doesn't answer your question but please, do take care of yourself. It can be very frightening and disturbing and I sympathise.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case getting up quickly used to give me a similar outcome. However since losing weight and reducing my blood sugar levels it has virtually ceased.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit I'm quite surprised with the point that 110/70 is low, from what I understand it's at the mid to upper end of good? It was too high before at 150/100 so they were considering medication but I brought it down below 120/80 and they were happy with it?

Danmiluk

I had the same symptoms, had blurry vision, extreme fatigue and pins & needles. Low blood pressure and heart rate turns out my metformin was inhibiting my body to take in any folic acid from everyday foods. I no doctor but ask for a blood test for it.