Do GLP-1 meds affect brain function?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There has just been a report on CNN this morning about Ozempic and unexpected benefits being explored for further applictions fo r this wonder drug. Apparently people using Ozempic are reporting that they have found that it dulls the reward response to things like smoking, alcohol use, eating disorders, and even vaping.

So Big Pharma is beginning to set up studies to see if the drug can be licenced for treating these addictions.

My concern is that this dulling of the reward mechanism will have deeper psychological effects since it is probably reducing dopamine, and dopamine deficiency is a side effect associated with dementia and Parkinsons. We just do not have enough historic data on these drugs and are sleepwalking into utopia (it may not be Utopia, but it may feel like it)

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think big Pharma will be setting up studies to show that everyone will benefit from pouring even more billions into their coffers, the actual health implications don't matter to them in the least.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a report that confirms that the GLP-1 argonist meds do deplete Dopamine, and that it is being trialled for treating cocaine addiction, cannabis / amphetamine addictions, and certain eating disorders. so who will the winners be? Obesity sufferers or alcoholics or smokers. Probably not diabetics. There will be too much demand for these meds and they are limited in sources of Gila Monsters (who produce exendin-4 in their spit, and which is the basic building block for the Glutides).

Who will the lucky ones be who pay the piper? It seems to be an open case gold mine

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pipp

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warning. Rat and mice studies into GLP-1 incretin show that when injected with it they certainly go off their food and no longer get up off their backsides for the most tasty morsels of rodent-fodder. They stop working and sit in a daze. Sound familiar? However, once the dose wears off they develop a sugar craving like nothing before. they will walk away from sweetener but fight for the sugar treats. So what will long term glutide users (2 years or so) do when the med is stopped - will they suffer withdrawal? Its only been 3 years since the first med was synthesised for licencing.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually there is a report on 4 years of GLP-1 RA use for T2D
Obviously the meds used were early versions of this class of med.

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp