Do UK paramedics not leave copy of treatment information?

diva19871987

I type 1 diabetic and have had lots of times where paramedics have been called to treat a severe hypo where i have fell into a coma. I have had diabetes for 12 years and paramedics always used to leave a copy of the treatment information sheet before they left the area after treatment. The past few times over the last year or so i have had paramedics called but they have not left the sheet, they just put the imformation on a touch screen compuer which i have to sign before they go, no paper copy is left with me. Should paramdedics leave me with a copy or do they not do this any more because they have computers which they enter the details of the episode? When was the touch screen computers they use introduced? Should I ask for a copy to show my own GP. or do they send it to my doctor themselves?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Re: Do UK paramedics not leave copy of treatment information

The report goes straight to the GP, Saves paper and admin etc.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver

My Husband is a Paramedic and paper forms are not used anymore (PRF's)
All done on touch screen computer

diva19871987

Thank you for your replies! Serendipity do they do this to reduce paper? or is there any ther reason? Do the paramedics alwasys sent the copy to my GP or do i need to ask them to do it? The reason I ask this is the last few times i had to have paramedics out which they inputted the data on a computer but my docotr has never mentioned the bad hypos so i assumed she was not told. Do they always share the imformation with my docotr? Thanks

diva19871987

When were the touch screen computers introduced and they stopped using treament imformation paper.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi Diva,
yes the info always goes to your GP. Perhaps your GP hasn't mentioned it as you didn't ask :)
I know when I was taken ill about 4 years ago (non diabetes related) the report was with GP the next morning, so he had the report before I was even discharged from hospital the following afternoon.

diva19871987

When I speak with my doctor about my diabetes a lot of the time she doesnt seem to know about the endless amounts of hospital trips from hypos so can only go on imformation i provide. It would be much easier if they give details about the hypo, but im assuming they do nt always give this to my GP. As you say it always get sent to my GP I am a little confused that my gp knows nothing about it?

Elc1112

Your doctor will get a copy and it will be logged on their system. The information will be visible in your patent history and available for your GP to view whenever they need to.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you know why you have so many severe hypos? I'm assuming you have little to no hypo awareness?

Em

diva19871987

In the 12 years of having diabetes I have had terrible control. I then was told i had damage to my eyes and feet which scared the hell out of me! From then on I have had lots of hypos because of the trying to perfect sugars and to keep them low. I know it is not ideal and believe me I dont want to see paramedics for the rest of my days but at the moment my control is extremely brittle and I am having up to 3 hypos a day, some serious some not. What a pain in the a**e diabetes is. :evil:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hi Diva, sorry to hear about your hypos. Has no one advised you to perhaps run higher bg levels for a couple of months and try to get your hypo awareness back? It is just as important to keep out of hypoglycaemia as it is to keep your levels low and it would be best to run a little higher to prevent hypos IMHO, its a balancing act, its not all about how low you can go :D

I too believe all medical reports go to your GP, unfortunately many GP's like a large proportion of the population are not as computer savvy as you and I and the fact that the information is on their system does not mean your GP has read it, they should, but if your doc doesnt read your record before appointments then theres a good chance he/she may be unaware. This is purely hypothetical, but I guess it must happen if half of our politicians dont know how to open their emails then I guess many GP's dont either.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

diva19871987 said:
In the 12 years of having diabetes I have had terrible control. I then was told i had damage to my eyes and feet which scared the hell out of me! From then on I have had lots of hypos because of the trying to perfect sugars and to keep them low. I know it is not ideal and believe me I dont want to see paramedics for the rest of my days but at the moment my control is extremely brittle and I am having up to 3 hypos a day, some serious some not. What a pain in the a**e diabetes is. :evil:

Hi Diva,
having lower numbers doesn't have to mean living in hypo land all the time.
It sounds to me as if you need to do some basal testing and sort your basal out, then move on to your carb ratios.
Do you carb count? If not then please ask how to adjust your insulin etc.
Have a look at b-dec this will give you a good grounding in carb counting.
Also perhaps invest in a couple of books, using insulin and think like a pancreas.

iHs

Hi

Also, because of the hypos, start to test yr bg levels every 60-90mins until you are able to adjust your insulin to carb a bit better. You could also try having some peanut butter before going to bed as the protein will help keep yr bg levels from going very low. You could also get up in the night and test yourself. Half unit insulin pens are a must have as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

diva19871987 said:
Thank you for your replies! Serendipity do they do this to reduce paper? or is there any ther reason? Do the paramedics alwasys sent the copy to my GP or do i need to ask them to do it? The reason I ask this is the last few times i had to have paramedics out which they inputted the data on a computer but my docotr has never mentioned the bad hypos so i assumed she was not told. Do they always share the imformation with my docotr? Thanks

All contact with A & E, Ambulance, NHS direct, Diabetes checks, Out-Patients clinics send a copy to your gp for their records.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi

Yes i remember years ago paramedics leaving a copy of there sheet i still have them, i haven't had to have a paramedic called for a while as my husband knows as soon as i start going low and in the night he is forever checking on me as he is a light sleeper, plus i keep Hypo kit in the fridge.

tracey167

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Tracey167 said:
plus i keep Hypo kit in the fridge.

Have you ever had to use the Hypo Kit Tracey?.....and more importantly did your husband manage :)

shop

Hi Diva,

I had been having lots of Hypos recently. ( Luckily I have never been unconcious as always have warnings and address asap ) I have been trying to improve my HBA1C and have lost 1 1/2 stone since the summer. ( I had a healthy balanced diet just too large portions. and cut down on red wine.) Anyway I have recently discovered BDEC carb counting course wich has enabled me to have the knowledge and confidence to address it and have decreased my basal dose by 3. May have to adjust back up yet as had a tricky weekend. What I am trying to say is having lots of hypos is bad I hated it knackered me out! If you can do carb counting and maybe reduce basal it may help...........Hope you can sort it good luck.....xxx :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

shop said:
Hi Diva,

I had been having lots of Hypos recently. ( Luckily I have never been unconcious as always have warnings and address asap ) I have been trying to improve my HBA1C and have lost 1 1/2 stone since the summer. ( I had a healthy balanced diet just too large portions. and cut down on red wine.) Anyway I have recently discovered BDEC carb counting course wich has enabled me to have the knowledge and confidence to address it and have decreased my basal dose by 3. May have to adjust back up yet as had a tricky weekend. What I am trying to say is having lots of hypos is bad I hated it knackered me out! If you can do carb counting and maybe reduce basal it may help...........Hope you can sort it good luck.....xxx :D

Very good Shop, have you also thought about doing the DAFNE course?

shop

Hiya,

I was made aware of DAFNE through a T1 friend about 2 yrs ago. However from looking online I discovered it wasn't available in my area. I also asked at my hospital and they said it wasn't available. I started to look at forums for help and out of curiosity, saw alot mentioned re carb counting. I typed into google......." Where can I learn about carb counting?" and the BDEC came up, I registered straight away. I will ask again at the hospital. I am just so glad that I now have some essential information at my finger tips. Also one of the guys who has set up the BDEC course worked on DAFNE, and my friend ( who did dafne ) said it sounds similar. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

shop said:
Hiya,

I was made aware of DAFNE through a T1 friend about 2 yrs ago. However from looking online I discovered it wasn't available in my area. I also asked at my hospital and they said it wasn't available. I started to look at forums for help and out of curiosity, saw alot mentioned re carb counting. I typed into google......." Where can I learn about carb counting?" and the BDEC came up, I registered straight away. I will ask again at the hospital. I am just so glad that I now have some essential information at my finger tips. Also one of the guys who has set up the BDEC course worked on DAFNE, and my friend ( who did dafne ) said it sounds similar. :)

BDEC is a good find Shop, we often recommend it on here to those wanting to learn about carb-counting on-line.

diva19871987

Hi all sorry again for the late replies! I am starting to get a little worried from everyones comments about hypos being just as dangerous as hypers. If thats the case I think ill be dead within a few days! :shock: I always thought keeping sugars low always had the downfall of hypos and have kinda thought i will have to live like it forever but thats obviously not the case reading some comments. My background insulin is currently 30 units of levemir but my docotr was horrified when i told her what i was taking. :shock: I went down to 20 but was waking up with sky high sugars. I just cant seem to get me ratios right at the moment and its really starting to drag trying to do it because im always getting it wrong. I know everyones different but would be interested in knowing what other diabetics ratios are with insulin and how much background is used. Ive gone from only 10 units and have in the past took up to 60 units (shocking I know but was in the hope of low blood sugars). Im now on 30 units. :shock: I am 25 and I am slighty underweight, do moderate excercise throughut the day chashing my 4 year old twins round! :D I do know bits and bobs about the carb ratio stuff they teach in DAFNE but whenever i try it has been an epic fail. :cry: