Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Different folks different stokes then? I've always owned a thermometer. For a long time owned a blood pressure meter and spo2 meter because these are a snap shot of my general health as my glucose meter is

Poverty restricts choice.

Reactions: dbr10

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Oh @hichamgsm I am so sorry to read this. My condolences to you and your sister's family.

It is many years since I was in Morocco but I saw for myself the extent of the poverty and how many badly disabled people were having to beg in the streets. It was heart breaking.
Thank you, Madam

It was a sad thing she was like my mother who raised me when I was young
Morocco is doing things but at the health level it is for the rich

I'm not in bad shape I'm fine but what about those who are poor

My country is trying to provide financial assistance to those who are poor, but they are empty of seriousness

Last edited:

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely the answer depends on where you are.

I know some people in the US who have my job, very few of them can afford decent health insurance, with no insurance and no NHS I would be dead because I can't possibly afford USA prices for stuff.

Beyond that I would have said it is more about brains than money but I will stop there as it will get me in trouble if I say any more.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Surely the answer depends on where you are.

I know some people in the US who have my job, very few of them can afford decent health insurance, with no insurance and no NHS I would be dead because I can't possibly afford USA prices for stuff.

Beyond that I would have said it is more about brains than money but I will stop there as it will get me in trouble if I say any more.
I think it is the policy of the starving and disease starvation
A day will come when the sun of truth will shine

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe this is on your planet but some countries wish their citizens death

Maybe this is on your planet but some countries did not I lose my sister on Friday because of diabetes she died in her bed without any treatment
The reason for her husband's poverty was if she had money to go for treatment in the finest hospitals
So sorry for your sad loss

D

Deleted Account

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes. Lots of studies show that poorer diabetics have worse outcomes re amputation and higher mortality level for age.
I believe it has to do with the mind set, and why they are 'poor' (I use poor in terms of purchasing power) in the first place.When you look into it, a lot of folks who are used to buying highly processed convenient food, believe its cheaper than cooking from scratch. Vegetables are bulky and filling, chicken is cheap any way one spins it. Where there is a will, the way of eating that will restore health is not out of the reach of anybody who can afford to buy food to eat. Its like, those who genuinely want to, will keep seeking information. Today with smart media at the end of every finger tip, any body interested will keep seeking empowering information until something clicks. I believe good diabetes outcome has more to do with having a dynamic mind set, being willing to seek out information than socio economic circumstance.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I believe it has to do with the mind set, and why they are 'poor' (I use poor in terms of purchasing power) in the first place.When you look into it, a lot of folks who are used to buying highly processed convenient food, believe its cheaper than cooking from scratch. Vegetables are bulky and filling, chicken is cheap any way one spins it. Where there is a will, the way of eating that will restore health is not out of the reach of anybody who can afford to buy food to eat. Its like, those who genuinely want to, will keep seeking information. Today with smart media at the end of every finger tip, any body interested will keep seeking empowering information until something clicks. I believe good diabetes outcome has more to do with having a dynamic mind set, being willing to seek out information than socio economic circumstance.
I do not agree with you allow me
It is not a matter of mind
Many factors play an important role
No one likes poverty, so it is compulsory and not optional

Reactions: Prem51

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Strongly agree. The test strips, the drugs and all the materials are very costly in my country. I test myself once a day.
Olufisayo is a Nigerian (Yoruba) name. I am assuming you are talking about Nigeria. I disagree with you if you are talking about type2 . for type 1 yes. I know the price of insulin has skyrocketed in the last decade that said if one is eating a low carb high fat moderate protein diet, Its cheaper than the jollof rice, rice and dodo etc. Think about it, kpomo, shaki, Ese eron are not expensive. Ugu, ewedu, okro, waterleaf, ogbono, ewuro, are not expensive. I know for a fact that you don't need test strips to have good control. I know a lot of elders with type2 diabetes, (Adult Onset due to age) they have never seen a test strip in their life. They say I have the 'Sugar disease' and eat only vegetables and sometimes beans. Its only when I came back to the UK that I realised diabetes causes complications. Eating afang soup, Okro soup, Edikangikong soup without amala, or eba, or akpu. The person will have perfect BG levels.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course poverty will have an impact on health especially diabetes. Many people and not only those on low incomes do suffer from depression which is common among diabetics and being on a low fixed income must make that worse. Here people are told they must test their blood but even the cheapest strips can be beyond their means when on benefits Some probably have to go to food banks where obviously they have no choice in the food available so most will be starchy carbs. Not many of the diabetics will be aware that those type of carbs are not good for them so yes I believe poverty will have an impact

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes! Nigeria.
I know I lived there for months on and off over a decade when I was younger. Okra, spinach or any of the home grown vegtables is OK but not for my taste but I'm not Nigerian or wasn't nurtured on Nigerian food. My favourite is plantain but very carby but less than banana.
I have to agree I'd be stumped to do low carb in Nigeria unless eating westerner's foods.
I ate weetabix or other cereals and Saintsbury's powdered skimmed milk with bottled water. (Should had eaten omelettes or boiled eggs with thin ham etc.) I ate rice but in small egg sized portions but more meat or fish and extra spinach. I advise soups without thickening with grounded carbs but grounded crayfish is fine. I used tomatoes in excess too but OK a little.
Eggs are cheap from the markets but if in Nigeria get a few chickens for your own fresh eggs and poultry is brilliant whichever country you live in. Organic is always best.
I based my meal around the protein and veg then a small portion of rice, yam, pasta/noodles or bread.
Try and concentrate on portion size as many Nigerians I lived with ate too much rice, bread, yam and noodles. I forgot the name of grounded thickening we put in every stew from Peckham/New Cross market.
Another of my favourites was the compressed black eyed beans steamed in cans with fish and other protein added. Oh and semolina balls deep fried made by women in Imo State villages.
Oh what lovely sugar free carbs they were!!! Yummy. No sugar in sight as I used sweetex in my Nescafe instant coffees.
Oh.....peanuts are very easily available too which I used to thicken curries which I added coconut too too for my sweet tastebuds.
Coconut I wouldn't advise but coconut milk is brilliant to cook with as of stock cubes and curry as you normally do.
I miss coconut rice. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Of course poverty will have an impact on health especially diabetes. Many people and not only those on low incomes do suffer from depression which is common among diabetics and being on a low fixed income must make that worse. Here people are told they must test their blood but even the cheapest strips can be beyond their means when on benefits Some probably have to go to food banks where obviously they have no choice in the food available so most will be starchy carbs. Not many of the diabetics will be aware that those type of carbs are not good for them so yes I believe poverty will have an impact
Food bank is carbs and more carbs. I haven't seen anyone get any fresh fish or meat from one? You?

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food bank is carbs and more carbs. I have seen anyone get any fresh fish or meat from one? You?
I have only seen them on TV but I do not think they are allowed to take perishable foods so they really only have packets and tins

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@OrsonKartt
Do you see it as a realistic goal for people in poverty to own blood pressure monitors?
I certainly don't.
I see it as a goal that anyone of any income, here in the uk. to be familiar with items which help maintain their own health . It doesn't matter if its obtained from a car boot sale for pennies or from the local chemist it works the same, to simply trust in a health care system without a basic understanding of ones own health is disempowering. At least thats what I find

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am regarded as "rich" in this country. Before Obamacare I could not buy health insurance because of diabetes. I paid for my diabetic stuff myself with no problems. I probably saved $200k during the years with buying no health insurance. I was covered only for things over $20,000 (which I had in the bank earning interest). Now Obamacare will pay for poor people's health insurance: People at 133% of the poverty level (about $16k for a single person) get Medicaid. If you make $40k/yr you'll get a big subsidy on the Obamacare marketplace ($88k for family of 4). If you make a lot you're gonna pay a LOT more with Obamacare. My friend's insurance more than doubled ($10k/year, $8,000 deductible) for he and his wife after Obamacare started. If you have no health insurance you're screwed, prices are huge. Half the bankruptcies here are for medical bills. Obamacare has driven up the price of health insurance a ton if you don't get a subsidy (80% who buy in the marketplace get one). The health insurance industry made out like bandits with Obamacare. I hate health insurance companies.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So there's a wonder! How come people in poverty are getting type2 ?

Oh silly me....carbs!

The reason why some ethnic groups more prone to type 2 too.

I wonder what the World Health Organisation has to say on the matter?