Do you think diabetes is worse with poverty

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, I think it is.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes! Nigeria.

If you are having ground rice or semolina every day then you must try to limit this as much as you can afford to by having more of the soup/stew that it goes with. I know that it can be really difficult but try to eat more vegetables (non starchy veg) to fill you up.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe this is on your planet but some countries wish their citizens death

Maybe this is on your planet but some countries did not I lose my sister on Friday because of diabetes she died in her bed without any treatment
The reason for her husband's poverty was if she had money to go for treatment in the finest hospitals

Oh @hichamgsm I am so sorry to read this. My condolences to you and your sister's family.

It is many years since I was in Morocco but I saw for myself the extent of the poverty and how many badly disabled people were having to beg in the streets. It was heart breaking.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Being poor is a big factor and lack of self control and not understanding what food cause the rise is also a huge factor.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Testing strips are the major cost for those of us self funding.
I haven't noticed any increase in our food bills. Eggs are cheap, vegetables are cheap, there are cheap cuts of meat available everywhere, you don't have to buy fillet steak.
You save by not buying cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, crisps, pies and take aways.
If you were buying them in the first place. Underactive thyroid stops some vegtables being useful and eggs gets boring after a while, in poverty. Cheap meats and fish are useful thou but not cheap processed meats.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is not comparable, though. Being poor in Europe and being poor in Africa are two different animals.
I am poor in terms of European standards but by Developing Nations standards, what with access to health care, food, education etc I would be considered well off.
That's why I praise the NHS, without it I'd be in hell.
We are struggling to keep food in cupboard, on and off. Food prices have shot up.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing strips are the major cost for those of us self funding.
I haven't noticed any increase in our food bills. Eggs are cheap, vegetables are cheap, there are cheap cuts of meat available everywhere, you don't have to buy fillet steak.
You save by not buying cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, crisps, pies and take aways.
I spend a lot on decent cuts of meat and never eat the other rubbish apart from the very occasional cake; so I think costs have increased. Although, I don't buy cereals now.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple carbs are cheap because our taxes subsidies them, Common Agricultual Policy in the EU and same in USA. Wheat production receives state aid, if only they would divert that to brocolli..........................
Quite right.

Reactions: RAPS_od

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s a pretty unholy combination! I can manage pretty well at home, but when I’m away it can become a real problem finding something to eat.
Yes. I'm on holiday. Food on plane was rubbish. BG all over the place. Quite distressing and spend more of my time hunting around for best (least worst) choices.

Hotel breakfasts are fine but it has one food item on the menu described as low GI - creme brulee - full of sugar.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not comparable, though. Being poor in Europe and being poor in Africa are two different animals.
I am poor in terms of European standards but by Developing Nations standards, what with access to health care, food, education etc I would be considered well off.
True poverty is relative but that doesn't necessarily help here.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that poverty inflicts more difficulties on diabetics. My family was poor when I was diagnosed as T1. Almost every meal fixed was carb-laden - unintentionally. Changing eating habits for everyone in the family wasn't desired or practical. My parents always had fresh vegetables on the table, even if they had to dumpster dive or grow them themselves to get them. (I thank God my dad was raised on a farm.)
Keeping me fed properly was taxing for them. Many times what I ate was different from what everyone else had simply because they couldn't afford to feed the whole family my diet. There were times that they didn't have the money to buy things for my diet and had to make do with what was there (like drinking sour milk because that was what we had).

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
True poverty is relative but that doesn't necessarily help here.

As the OP is in North Africa we must try to imagine what it must be like to have to pay for everything relative to what is earned. In the West we spend far less in terms of the percentages on food than people people in true poverty. If you earn a dollar a day chances are you spend that dollar on food.

Reactions: dbr10

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
As the OP is in North Africa we must try to imagine what it must be like to have to pay for everything relative to what is earned. In the West we spend far less in terms of the percentages on food than people people in true poverty. If you earn a dollar a day chances are you spend that dollar on food.

Ok here's my two pence worth. In the house I have and have always had a thermometer and a blood presume meter. It's been quite normal What's new is a glucose meter. If it was more common and people were encouraged to measure say once a year or if the were feeling ill or odd it would raise awareness.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok here's my two pence worth. In the house I have and have always had a thermometer and a blood presume meter. It's been quite normal What's new is a glucose meter. If it was more common and people were encouraged to measure say once a year or if the were feeling ill or odd it would raise awareness.

I have not owned a thermometer since my youngest was a baby. I have never owned a bp meter. Even with a very high A1c on diagnosis I had none of the classic symptoms of Diabetes. Why on earth should I have spent money on things I would not have used from one year's end to the next? A glucometer and strips are a necessary expense now that I know I have Diabetes but it never would have occurred to me to buy one when I have no history of Diabetes in my family and was suffering no symptoms. And besides, testing at home once per year is a bit hit and miss? An annual A1c would be better but as this test catches the last symptom (higher bg) then it is often too late.
I suppose it is a matter of priorities. Ask most people what they worry about and they will say mortgage/hire purchase on car etc, the poorer one is then the higher priority tends to be food/medicines.

Reactions: RAPS_od

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I have not owned a thermometer since my youngest was a baby. I have never owned a bp meter. Even with a very high A1c on diagnosis I had none of the classic symptoms of Diabetes. Why on earth should I have spent money on things I would not have used from one year's end to the next? A glucometer and strips are a necessary expense now that I know I have Diabetes but it never would have occurred to me to buy one when I have no history of Diabetes in my family and was suffering no symptoms. And besides, testing at home once per year is a bit hit and miss? An annual A1c would be better but as this test catches the last symptom (higher bg) then it is often too late.
I suppose it is a matter of priorities. Ask most people what they worry about and they will say mortgage/hire purchase on car etc, the poorer one is then the higher priority tends to be food/medicines.

Different folks different stokes then? I've always owned a thermometer. For a long time owned a blood pressure meter and spo2 meter because these are a snap shot of my general health as my glucose meter is