1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DO YOU WANT TO JOIN ME TO MAKE A CHANGE TO CURRENT GUIDELINES?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Debandez, Oct 7, 2019.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

This is on both this website and YouTube:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I know when I've had chest pain or stomach issues the A&E doctors are impressed with my control on insulin. One asked how many times do I test. I test 6times for good control. Or I get bad control.

• Like Like x 2
  3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

[
    mechanically that explains it but does nothing to help understand what the numbers mean.

Also I’ve never actually used a lancet, thank god! Fastclix barrel with no fiddling or changing every test the And easy normal rubbish bin disposal only sane way for me. Cotton wool smool, a quick lick or a cheap corner of tissue

edit to clarify: an individual lancet as opposed to barrel style

• Agree Agree x 2
    #123 HSSS, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Wow the guidelines really do support it don’t they

“short term” and encouraged to eat fruit and whole grains and to avoid red meat whilst doing low carb

what they give with one hand they cancel out with the other

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. DCUKMod

With respect, HSSS. What the numbers mean is no more one size fits all than any way of eating or exercise regime.

Someone coming here with an A1c of 100+, already taking stronger meds, such as Gliclazide, immediately telling them their range is 4-7 (or whatever) could be considered unhelpful and could certainly be considered dangerous, without a professional review of the medications that person is taking,

Similarly for those with significant comorbidities, and less usual types of diabetes. And of course, the testing (and of course treatment) pathways differ completely for Type 1s, but how can anyone, at or near diagnosis recognise all these nuances.

On a small matter of detail, every time you test your bloods, you are utilising a lancet. That the lancet is stored and delivered to your fingertip in a different way is a product feature. It doesn't mean the lancet is not in place.

6. DCUKMod

On my final comment on this thread.

Not everyone needs to go particularly low carb, or low carb ninja to put themselves into a safe zone with their blood glucose. Those coming here with borderline diagnoses, or diagnoses of pre-diabetes could just need the odd tweak to put themselves into a safe zone.

That some folks chase a lower and lower A1c is their choice, but that isn't for everyone.

I do eat low carb, and I enjoy it. It's my new normal.

My A1c at diagnosis was 73 (Ooops - how did that happen?), so positive steps were necessary. Informed by information garnered from my home testing, I achieve a first, post-diagnosis of 37, and since my A1c has never been that high. My last was 27.

When I received my A1c score of 37 I was obviously very happy about it, but gave myself a decent talking to, because I understand that it is simply not possible for the number to go down forever; and particularly moreso, if I want to live a life that supports my being health, sociable and not fixated on food. I am keen that my mental health is supported just as well as my physical health.

As this is going to be my last on this thread, I will reiterate again, that things do need to change out there, but, in my view, diabetes is a portfolio conditions - lots of diagnostic factors and lots of nuances to it, and on that basis, it needs to be approached on a portfolio basis. By that I mean an array of options for the individual to choose from.

I am committed to DCUK, both on a professional and personal perspective. DCUK is doing masses, and masses of work, around the world to improve the lives of those living with diabetes, and with the aim to prevent and limit diagnoses, where possible.

Not everything everyone, or anyone does is "out there". But everything that everyone does matters. The NHS, NICE, RCGP and all the other monolithic organisations do change, but change is slow. Change takes time and must be managed. Unmanaged change has another name,.......... chaos.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I feel that the key here is to educate on the importance of testing and let patients work out the best individual strategy for themselves, if they wish. Personal experience will always trump the advice of HCPs who will never experience all the nuances of glucose management.

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but I stress again that, in my opinion, it is imperative to STOP telling people NOT to test. Let them buy their own equipment without derision if the wish, and support them on their mission to fix their diabetes instead of treating them like idiots.

EDIT: There is no more irritating human on planet Earth than a know-it-all nurse castigating patients who have forgotten more about diabetes than he/she will ever know.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #127 Jim Lahey, Oct 11, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  8. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

With respect I never suggested there was a one size fits all as you seem to imply. My point was that without understanding the numbers they are meaningless, whatever position they are in

• Like Like x 1
  9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Again with respect you have misunderstood my point entirely, or attached your comments to my post in error.

I was not suggesting chasing lower and lower hb1ac nor was I advocating extreme low carb for all. I’m really not sure how you got that from my post.

I was stating that duk whilst supporting low carb, as ONE option of several, then go on to severely limit that support with their additional comments that can be contradictory to low carb.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

Just to add further to my comments above - I also think it's fair to say that by not discouraging testing, and in fact showing patients that it may help them, more diabetics would realises that, actually, there is something they can do to help themselves, and that diabetes does not have to be progressive and life-shortening. I believe that just this one simple measure would enable more people to empower themselves to learn more about their condition and how they can beat it.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jim Lahey

Of course the only problem here (it's raining outside and I'm on a roll) is that sales of Weetabix and Metformin might take a knock...:shifty:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

This is all to level the playing field in the options made known to patients.

weight loss (usually by undefined methods) is already advocated
    There is some degree of medical acceptance and promotion of Newcastle style diets
    More exercise is already advocated
    Medication is well and truely out there as a choice to be made

What is rarely suggested are low carb options
    Also rarely shared with patients is an understanding of testing for type 2 purposes

By promoting these last two we are not saying these are the only methods. It’s saying remember them too when giving out the others so patients choose what’s right for them knowing all the choices.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Just quickly sharing this for info as I'm currently chasing my granddaughter around!

Received this morning as a forward from my practice manager who is a legend.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

As others have mentioned, I believe that those of us who are able and willing should do our own little bit to inform others, and effect changes. Starting with our own GP, and or people we know who could benefit from the knowledge we have gained. Some people, including HCPs will not want to take on board what we are trying to tell them. I know, I have tried but I am sure I can be very annoying as a ‘born again ex T2’.

The following info was taken from the website of the surgery that is named on the leaflets @Debandez posted earlier in this thread. Emphasises to me that we all need to keep pressure up close to home.

Diabetes
    Diabetes is a long-term (chronic) condition caused by too much glucose (sugar) in the blood. It is also known as diabetes mellitus. There are two types of diabetes - type 1 and type 2.

According to the charity Diabetes UK, more than two million people in the UK have the condition and up to 750,000 more are believed to have it without realising they do.

More than three-quarters of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes mellitus. This used to be known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or maturity-onset diabetes mellitus. The number of people with type 2 diabetes is rapidly increasing as it commoner in the overweight and obese, which is itself a growing problem.

The remainder have type 1 diabetes mellitus, which used to be known as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.

What's the treatment for diabetes?
    It's recognised that the sooner the blood sugar levels are brought under control, the better the long term prospects of preventing damage. Lifestyle advice about diet, weight management and regular activity is the first step.

Type 1 diabetes will require immediate insulin therapy, Type 2 diabetes will first be managed with a drug called Metformin, if lifestyle changes alone aren't effective. There are now several other drugs used in type 2 diabetes, although eventually some type 2 diabetics will need insulin therapy as it's a progressive disease

Diabetes UK - How to take a blood glucose test

There is further information and education on the Diabetes UK Video Site

Useful Links
    Diabetes - Healthtalkonline
    [​IMG]Healthtalkonline, an award-winning charity website, lets you share in other people's experiences of health and illness. An excellent resource compiled after interviewing a wide range of people suffering from heart disease.

Type 1 Diabetes
    An excellent resource with useful information and references relating to Type 1 Diabetes.

Type 2 Diabetes
    A useful resource regarding Type 2 Diabetes. [​IMG]

Diabetes UK
    Largest charity in the UK devoted to the care and treatment of people with diabetes in order to improve the quality of life for people with the condition

NHS Choices
    Further information about symptoms, treatment, causes and prevention of Diabetes

These links all come from trusted resources but if you are unsure about these or any other medical matters please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.

15. DCUKMod

Hi Pipp - Where did the two links in your post come from, because they go to a Bupa site that seems unreachable?

And the pedant in me being strong, but that Diabetes UK logo is very, very out of date. I am certain it was live in 2002, but I know of at least 3 logos in the last 4 years. Frustratingly, they change their logo with astonishing regularity, but don't bother telling anyone, until they mention stationary etc is out of date.

Hey ho.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

If I end up doing a drop in session for my local surgery I will find that useful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. DeeAitch

DeeAitch Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you I actually picked up the recipe book in store today

18. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Brilliant

19. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi I have come very late to this thread but I wonder whether it would be possible for countries (I'm from Australia) to have some sort of place (or website) where meters and strips could be donated. My father had them when he died and I suspect that my mother just put them in the bin. I am sure that I will have them when I die and I would like to think they could be used by someone else. I'm also reasonably comfortable so I could really see donating to such a place as something I could do from time to time. It breaks my heart when I read about people who can't afford a meter and test strips. My view is that the government will never fund these.

20. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

The Lions Club of Australia collect old spectacles to refurbish and reuse in "under privileged countries", something like that would be good, but any traces of blood would have to cleaned off the meters before donating them.
    The testing meters are free from most meter manufacturers websites in Australia, and the strips are subsidised if you are a member of the NDSS, they cost $15.00 per 100 box instead of $65.00 for 100.

https://www.ndss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/order-forms/blood-glucose-testing-strips-order-form.pdf

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook