1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DO YOU WANT TO JOIN ME TO MAKE A CHANGE TO CURRENT GUIDELINES?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Debandez, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Asleuk
    Absolutely agree that the worries about your child SHOULD at the top of most peoples lists.
    i have no argument at all with that statement.. THAT IS money well spent.

Recently the papers have had a blitz of the tsunami of Type 2 patients overwhelming doctors/hospitals,
    here is one among many last few weeks and over the last several years, and the Numbers just KEEP on building up
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...diabetics-DAY-One-10-admissions-diabetes.html
    what DIDN'T work before IS the Default position for many in the TYPE 2 world of health care, it seems to me.

What IF, just by spending less then a £1 a day for 90 days we could help many of those manage their T2 better,
    meaning less of us in the waiting room, taking up valuable surgery time. AND potentially remove many of us T2D's from hospital wards, over the next one year, 5 years, and into the foreseeable future.?

That £90 seems like money WELL spent, especially so for some one who IS in dire need, like maybe your child, who needs that doctors appointment, this week rather then 4 weeks time, Or needs some time in hospital, maybe not as an emergency, but to run checks etc, but they keep being cancelled (as many do, for multiple illnesses each year) because someone else is taking up that bed space, Someone who MAYBE, with better care, could have avoided the need to even be there.

So yeah, i get what your saying, but the money we spend PROVING that the dietary changes MAKE a difference, TODAY not at the next HBA1c, give people like me,,and many others on here, Hope, faith and a willingness TO manage a disease that By many accounts IS Progressive, Debilitating and ONE of the major causes of deaths in the UK.

Put like that, to my eyes anyway, it seems like a No Brainer.
    50% success rate at Dr Unwins surgery..and that's just ONE surgery out of how many.
    imagine THAT translated across the UK.

Spend today, SAVE Tomorrow (in many ways, not least in peoples lives )

i have THAT for me.

I WANT that for many others, maybe YOU or other family members in years to come, God forbid.

as i said earlier, i have no issue with your needs and concerns for your child, most admirable,
    but maybe THIS way IS the BEST way to help ALL of us.

Kind regards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #181 jjraak, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:44 PM
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

To get on thread. Both my local surgeries have a policy of not prescribing meters or test strips unless T1 or on insulin. I was told by one of my GP’s that they are too expensive.

I plan to work on this next, but slowly slowly catch a monkey. Maybe at the next PPG meeting.

So your template would be most welcome, @Debandez

Edit : “To those at risk of hypos”, were the exact words of one of them.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #182 Listlad, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  3. Redpanda

Redpanda Type 2 · Newbie

• Like Like x 1
  4. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

bump

• Like Like x 1
  5. ianf0ster

I haven't seen anything regarding the 'template' that @Debandez was working on.
    I understand that she is very busy and has also been ill. So perhaps work on it stalled.
    Or did I miss it?

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

PM is at your disposal Ian. That might be the way forward.

7. ianf0ster

As you are aware, I'm not a people person, lack any tact or diplomacy and hate to be forced to resort to 1 to 1 interactions e.g. I much prefer email to telephone calls and prefer to address a gathering or 100 or so people than make small talk to just one person at a social event.

8. ianf0ster

Assuming it hasn't all happened already, something in today's news may be of interest:

House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle was diagnosed with diabetes just days before the General Election.
    The 62-year-old has lost almost three stone in recent months and was urged to visit doctors by his wife Catherine and other family members.

Sir Lindsay said the symptoms were so severe that doctors wanted him to stay in hospital, but he refused to miss the election campaign. He is now receiving treatment for what is most likely to be Type 1 diabetes and awaits further tests.

9. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the low carb programme? Much more than a diet plan, it consists of 16 weeks of videos, access to sumaries about research plus links, meal plans plus a searchable database of recipes and the discussion section where you can ask their experts and members questions. and more ...
    In most NHS areas you can get the lowcarbprogram prescribed by your GP (a voucher/code), a few refuse to fund it.

10. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sir Lindsay said the symptoms were so severe that doctors wanted him to stay in hospital,
    He had high ketones though not ketoacidosis so they would have been worried lest this became ketoacidosis. He looks a bit gaunt so hope he will be putting on a bit of weight and feeling better soon!

11. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not at all. You haven't missed it. It's the time of year. I have a grandchild due any second. Family first. But lots of irons in the fire.
    I have been poorly for 2 weeks. Today has been a turning point for me, first day I've felt almost normal. Was going to so a 14 day official guidelines trial in December. Due to virus blood sugars all over the place. January seems a better time. Got a diabetes UK complaint case to reply to. Sending lots of letters to gp surgeries highlighting lchf. And so much more. Got my business to run too so just soooo busy. But I'm here and working on an awful lot!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. ianf0ster

Thanks, I don't want to mis anything since I'm keen to help in any way that I can.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Lotties

Lotties Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Mę too; just arrived...
    ... but still finding Huge value here as a bit overwhelmed with info.

14. Lotties

Lotties Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

There is no benefit for one of the major participants in this discussion; drug companies. Their bottom line is to sell drugs; this inevitably skews their motivation in the opposite direction to the self-heal/medicate with food. Doctors are quite stuck in the middle.

#194 Lotties, Dec 21, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  15. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I would love to but armed insurrection is not my style.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

This might be a good thread to post this video from the LowCarbUSA conference in Boca Ratan. Antonio Martinez talking about advocacy by the LCAN (Low Carb Action Network) in the US:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. ianf0ster

@Indy51 Thanks for posting the video above. I found the Q&A in the second half of the video much more interesting than the actual talk. Tony seems like a sincere guy who wants to make a difference and his knowledge of Law and Politics could be very useful in implementing dietary Guideline and Medical school teaching change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook