Does Fat Raise Blood Glucose?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. How do you gain muscle weight, I mean, what is the easiest way. I do lots of walking and I try to do 30 minutes of exercise each night on my Wi fit lol.
I don't know anything about Wi Fit, but walking, while excellent, will probably not build too much extra muscle, as it is high repetition low load, and also your body already knows how to do it. Could you add in 2 - 3 sessions weekly of resistance training? After getting used to doing that with reasonably light weights (that you can lift 15 times), the idea would be to progress (gently) to doing sets with a weight heavy enough that you can only move it with correct technique c.6 times. There are many books available on weight training and also many helpful videos on Youtube. For your legs you could also do step ups and step downs on the bottom step of your staircase, maybe carrying a progressively heavier weight, maybe in a rucsac. And calf raises ditto. And / or during your walks you could make sure to take in lots of steepish hills and BOUND up them hard enough that you are glad to rest at the top or while walking down again.

Lots of possibilities. Do pm me if you have queries, as I love talking about this stuff and I do have lots of experience.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need carbs to gain weight, could you go on insulin for a while so as to keep your blood sugars normal while you gain weight, and then go back to low carb afterwards???
Try selling that idea to a GP who thinks you just need to eat carbs like everyone else.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask if you have any kind of insulin level test? Personally I have never had one but I am almost convinced that I am still highly insulin resistant.
No, I am saving that request for if/when my bg numbers worsen. At present they are not bad enough for my GP to consider that I have a problem. I don't think she would prescribe insulin for me whatever the test showed.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
theoretically a tiny amount can be processed that way but, as you say, it is energy intensive and, in reality,uses up more energy than it produces. Its the third choice, after proteins, for that reason.

so, for all practical and non-pedantic purposes, I am right in what i said.

Not being pedantic.

If you are keto adapted then you still need glucose in your blood stream to stop your body from panicking.

As far as I know under those circumstances when fasting (even over night) your body will break down fat to get the necessary glucose instead of consuming muscle. For those on an extreme diet of almost 100% fat this pathway is also used.

Not long ago it was commonly said that glycogen to fat was a one way street and you couldn't get glycogen from fat. However recently there has been much more published about breaking down triglycerides to produce glycogen when easier glycogen sources aren't available.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not being pedantic.

If you are keto adapted then you still need glucose in your blood stream to stop your body from panicking.

As far as I know under those circumstances when fasting (even over night) your body will break down fat to get the necessary glucose instead of consuming muscle. For those on an extreme diet of almost 100% fat this pathway is also used.

Not long ago it was commonly said that glycogen to fat was a one way street and you couldn't get glycogen from fat. However recently there has been much more published about breaking down triglycerides to produce glycogen when easier glycogen sources aren't available.
And as there is usually only about 1 tsp of sugar in the blood "normally" ( I think I heard this from Dr Unwin) at any one time I doubt this will raise your blood sugar about its "normal" levels?

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Surely you'd have to eat more than just a chunk to prove anything.
It depends how sensitively your body reacts to carbs. Bread spikes my blood sugar very strongly, which is a shame because I like it very much. But my chronic weight gain and pre-diabetes is most likely down to wholemeal bread sandwiches when ever I felt hungry. Replacing these with cheese and a bit of lettuce only has solved this problem.