Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am now eating full fat mayo with my salad and protein like ham, eggs, tuna or similar. My blood sugar levels do not go up afterwards, sometimes they even go down. If i add a slice of bread to the meal, the blood sugars go up. This leads me to conclude that fats and proteins dont raise blood sugar levels, but carbs do.

I have come to the same conclusion. To gain weight my only option is to raise my carb levels, understably this is not something I would choose to do happily.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely you'd have to eat more than just a chunk to prove anything.
So eat 100g.. you'd get less than 1g of carbs even using your butter.. test before and after?
you may also find out something about fat and satiety too..

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least a stone but a stone and a half would give me wriggle room.
If you manage to gain weight without increasing your carbs, please let me know how you manage to do it, as I also need to gain weight. I wouldn't mind if my blood sugar levels were mostly below 6.5, but they have recently been averaging about 7.5. Maybe it will get better with more time, but I really can't afford to lose any more weight.

Reactions: miahara

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you manage to gain weight without increasing your carbs, please let me know how you manage to do it, as I also need to gain weight. I wouldn't mind if my blood sugar levels were mostly below 6.5, but they have recently been averaging about 7.5. Maybe it will get better with more time, but I really can't afford to lose any more weight.

Will do. It's a work in progress. The good news is that physically I feel good, all things considered.

If you are able you could try building muscle mass, this could also help with bg. I am unable to do this which is why I struggle.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My goat butter contains 0.5g carbs per 100.

Also happy to donate some fat :)

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do. It's a work in progress. The good news is that physically I feel good, all things considered.

If you are able you could try building muscle mass, this could also help with bg. I am unable to do this which is why I struggle.
Thanks for that. How do you gain muscle weight, I mean, what is the easiest way. I do lots of walking and I try to do 30 minutes of exercise each night on my Wi fit lol.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, this is probably a crazy suggestion, but...
If you need carbs to gain weight, could you go on insulin for a while so as to keep your blood sugars normal while you gain weight, and then go back to low carb afterwards???
And @mazza 2 , are you sure you're T2 and not T1, LADA etc. Diet can't help if you're not producing insulin....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for that. How do you gain muscle weight, I mean, what is the easiest way. I do lots of walking and I try to do 30 minutes of exercise each night on my Wi fit lol.

I think carry on with what you are doing, resistive excercise is said to be best (this really is not my area of expertise!) So perhaps a little more with weights might help. Protein is for muscle growth and repair so you could try raising your levels of good protein a little. Tweaking with protein is said to be a slower process than carb cutting so it may take a while.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK, this is probably a crazy suggestion, but...
If you need carbs to gain weight, could you go on insulin for a while so as to keep your blood sugars normal while you gain weight, and then go back to low carb afterwards???
And @mazza 2 , are you sure you're T2 and not T1, LADA etc. Diet can't help if you're not producing insulin....

This is an idea that I heard Bernstein speak of, however, I would rather see if I can manage with diet first as my bg is in a happy place. I understand the logic behind it but I do feel that I am hyperinsulinaemic (though without the appropriate tests there is no way of knowing for sure).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The old chestnut of showing slight of hand and lumping the type of fat such as coconut oil, butter, lard, ghee in with vegetable oil in the form of sugary treats; the very combination nature avoids, but the "bliss point" scientists strive for and achieve.

When you mix sugar / carbs and any fat, good or bad it is deadly and the worst combination especially for fat storage. Whilst they continue to equate a doughnut as fat and compare that to say the home made 100% dark chocolate brownies I made this evening with "real" fat (butter), the proverbial wool will continue to be pulled over ones eyes - disgraceful.