Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your point being? Sorry, I'm not following your train of thought here. Different species...
Tongue in cheek perhaps but it didn’t do them any harm. They co existed with their carnivorous counterparts for a very long time.

Maybe the point is that the idea that man is a meat eater by design is a bit misleading.

I keep an open mind. And although I am adopting a lower carb higher fat diet I don’t close my mind to other ways forward including veggies, for man, T2 diet man or ancestral creatures that roamed the planet successfully long before we arrived.

So listen to what Molly has to say and you might learn something.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, as we have been asked to stay on topic I will return to a point that the OP brought up by saying that the fat you eat is not the fat you wear. There are, however, unhealthy fats that are imo best avoided.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, as we have been asked to stay on topic I will return to a point that the OP brought up by saying that the fat you eat is not the fat you wear. There are, however, unhealthy fats that are imo best avoided.
The topic is “Is This a Balanced Diet”. I say maybe.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am making a distinction, in this thread, between what may be a balanced diet for a non type 2 diabetic, and what is a balanced diet for a type 2 diabetic seeking to use their dietary choices to lower their blood sugar levels.

As the OP is a type 2 diet only diabetic, I consider my responses on what constitutes a balanced diet for her situation to be tailored towards that specifically, rather than discussions about the general population, many of whom are not type 2 diabetics.

For those who are not type 2 diabetics, a plant based diet may well be the right balance for them. I query if it is suitable for type 2 diabetics, but am continuing my research on this.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok, thanks.

I will do some research as i thought the fat in our cells wasnt saturated animal fats, but some other type of fat made from carbs. Off to Google, unless you have a link please?

Here’s a video I watched on YouTube which I found extremely interesting, if you have have Instagram 2 people I follow (nutritionist) also follow a high fibre vegan diet for there patients.
There usernames are @reversingt2d And @diabetes_nutritionist ....they are very helpful and post lots of foods, recipes and guidence.

It may not work for some, but it could help others, I’m not vegan yet but have been limiting my animal products, and carbs like grains, beans and pulses are not spiking by blood sugar unlike carbs like white bread, crisps, white pasta.

There’s so much information out there, the nhs are telling us one thing, then you’ve got low carb and Keto, then you have moderate carb, high carb low fat....no wonder it can be difficult to know which diet is best for us and out health.....I respect anyone who’s managing their diabetes though any diet that works for them.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Here’s a video I watched on YouTube which I found extremely interesting, if you have have Instagram 2 people I follow (nutritionist) also follow a high fibre vegan diet for there patients.
There usernames are @reversingt2d And @diabetes_nutritionist ....they are very helpful and post lots of foods, recipes and guidence.

It may not work for some, but it could help others, I’m not vegan yet but have been limiting my animal products, and carbs like grains, beans and pulses are not spiking by blood sugar unlike carbs like white bread, crisps, white pasta.

There’s so much information out there, the nhs are telling us one thing, then you’ve got low carb and Keto, then you have moderate carb, high carb low fat....no wonder it can be difficult to know which diet is best for us and out health.....I respect anyone who’s managing their diabetes though any diet that works for them.
Thank you. Could you share what sort of a main meal you have and what sort of change it makes to your blood glucose please?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Molly - My advice to you would be that as an apparently committed vegan that you invest in plenty of blood glucose testing strips, follow the diet of your choosing, record all you eat, and drink, your bblood glucose reading before eating, then 2 hours after, your excercise and mood, and review it all weekly.

From that point, you will begin to amass a quantum of data that could begin to inform you how you are doing. That any other person eats a half bison for dinner or a vat of lentils is all very interesting, bit may be no more than interesting in your shoes.

Eat to your meter. This a is a long game. If you get it right first time, that's great, if you need tweaks, you'll just be like most of us have been.

That would be my advice to you, or anyone else wondering how to approach this thing.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Molly - My advice to you would be that as an apparently committed vegan that you invest in plenty of blood glucose testing strips, follow the diet of your choosing, record all you eat, and drink, your bblood glucose reading before eating, then 2 hours after, your excercise and mood, and review it all weekly.

From that point, you will begin to amass a quantum of data that could begin to inform you how you are doing. That any other person eats a half bison for dinner or a vat of lentils is all very interesting, bit may be no more than interesting in your shoes.

Eat to your meter. This a is a long game. If you get it right first time, that's great, if you need tweaks, you'll just be like most of us have been.

That would be my advice to you, or anyone else wondering how to approach this thing.

I agree with you 100% I often test before and after meals and have started to keep a log.

Reactions: Listlad

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Could you share what sort of a main meal you have and what sort of change it makes to your blood glucose please?

As I stated in a comment earlier in this post I do currently eat fish and some animal products, which I will eventually cut down on....

So last night for dinner I had a small piece of salmon, with plenty of veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and I had some lentil pasta (half a cup), my before reading was 5.5 mmol and 2 hours after was 6.4

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
As I stated in a comment earlier in this post I do currently eat fish and some animal products, which I will eventually cut down on....

So last night for dinner I had a small piece of salmon, with plenty of veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and I had some lentil pasta (half a cup), my before reading was 5.5 mmol and 2 hours after was 6.4

Sounds ok. but fish doesnt fit with vegan.... its harder than vegiterian me id stick to at least fish for protien..... but what do you do for vitamin b12? a little red meat fixes that issue...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's possible that Aero chocolate bars and rice are healthier than beef or lamb for someone with type 2 diabetes, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds ok. but fish doesnt fit with vegan.... its harder than vegiterian me id stick to at least fish for protien..... but what do you do for vitamin b12? a little red meat fixes that issue...

For vitamin b12 I buy this nutritional yeast which has b12 In it,

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible that Aero chocolate bars and rice are healthier than beef or lamb for someone with type 2 diabetes, but doubt it.
I never said they are healthier than meat...I just explained I didn’t eat meat when some said to include it....

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you generally take small portions, Molly?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you generally take small portions, Molly?
I wouldn’t say I eat small portions, but I do portion control most startchy carbs, like occasionally I have potatoes but only have a small portions, when I have rice I have half a cup mixed with cauliflower rice to make volume, I never portion control veggies like greens, tomatoes, carrots etc. I follow a diet plan (slimming world) which is helping me lose weight

wislonp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
beliw is everything I’ve eaten today, I do check my meals before and after, (2-3 hrs) I have had no huge spikes in bg susally goes up 1.5-2 mmol.
I do workout in the Morning and went for a 30 min walk this afternoon....does what I ate today seem okay? I know everyone is different and may completely avoid sugar but I believe moderation is key.

Meal one: mackerel fillet, tomatoes, mushrooms and scarMbled egg

Snack: cheddar and pickled onions

Meal2: quinoa and egg salad

Meal 3: salmon, broccoli and carrots 1/2 cup of brown rice

After dinner: aero bubble bar ( standard size)36g

I added everything in the my fitness pal app and say I had 79g carbs, 84g fat 79g protein

Hi, Looks good to me.I have found that my BS is highly dependant on how much exercise I do in the day. This mainly consists of walking and gym visits. When I achieve my 10,000 steps the effects seem to last well into the night and sometimes into the next morning.

BTW, that Aero bar in the evening! High sugar content when, I guess, you have sat down for the evening..... Tesco’s do an 85% chocolate bar for a quid so I have a couple of pieces as my ‘treat’.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Personally I would chose to have a big bowl of salad stuff rather than things like quinoa, or rice as they are not exactly stacked with vitamins and minerals.
Also I only eat twice a day, so bland starches would get boring rather quickly.
As this can be a way of eating for long periods - I'll be low carb for life, I think, variety is important, even if you can achieve the low blood glucose on that level of carbs, maintaining it is vital. Rather than thinking about balance, go for tasty, interesting and varied - I still enjoy a low carb way of eating and I first tried it in the early 1970s.
Sorry I have to disagree. Quinoa has very good nutrition. Even though some people with diabetes cannot eat it, it has good nutrients, so this food would be good for others.

Protein 5.57 g
Total lipid (fat) 2.46 g
Fiber, total dietary 2.51 g
Fatty acids, total 0.25 g
Calcium, Ca 25.5 mg
Iron, Fe 3.93 mg
Potassium, K 314.5 mg
Sodium, Na 8.93 mg
Zinc, Zn 1.4 mg
Vitamin E – mg ATE
Folate, total 20.82 mcg
Magnesium, Mg 89.25 mg
Energy 665.12 kj
Phosphorus, P 174.25 mg
Isoleucine 0.2 g
Serine 0.21 g
Proline 0.17 g
Glycine 0.29 g
Glutamic acid 0.66 g
Aspartic acid 0.41 g
Alanine 0.26 g
Histidine 0.13 g
Arginine 0.39 g
Valine 0.25 g
Manganese, Mn 0.96 mg
Copper, Cu 0.35 mg
Threonine 0.2 g
Vitamin B-12 – mcg
Vitamin B-6 0.09 mg
Niacin 1.25 mg
Riboflavin 0.17 mg
Thiamin 0.08 mg
Phenylalanine 0.23 g
Pantothenic acid 0.44 g
Leucine 0.33 g
Lysine 0.31 g
Methionine 0.11 g
Tyrosin

Reactions: WuTwo

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fortunately I don’t have cravings either. I just like to eat, where possible, food that I enjoy. Enjoyable food of course isn’t entirely necessary but it sure helps if it is. I had an apple today. OMG. I enjoy apples and can fit it into a diet that is appropriate for my needs.
I can eat an apple, but only with cheese. Then my BGS's do not spike at all. The cheese stops it which is good because I love a nice small Apple with cheese and a glass of wine. My once a week treat.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I

Low carb just doesn’t work for everyone, at least your doing what’s working for you.
I have actually been speaking to a nutritionist who says a plant based high fibre diet is great at reversing diabetes, which I think I’m going to go for and see if it works for me and my body, I’m still all new to this so it’s so confusing and difficult to find the perfect diet
I am thinking of cutting down my meat a little and having a couple of meat-free days. I do have meat every day and like my meat, but of late I have started to feel a little sick. I have found out that I can eat a small amount of Edamame Beans. I put some into a bowl with cucumber, celery, radishes, shredded white cabbage and roasted peppers. I put a little chilli dressing on and had 2 boiled eggs on the side (No meat) and boy did I enjoy it. It made a lovely change. Tonight will be salmon with salad. I feel if I am getting bored with meat, then I have to add some more variety.