Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 8.1 so disappointing
I take it you practice karate, hence all the push-ups & pull ups, good on you, I used to do judo as I kid, great sport,
Sounds like you’re a great dad to your daughter, skipping in the park, make the most of it they grow up so quickly, daughter & son are 28 & 24 now, don’t know where the time goes,
heavy (for me) deadlifts are my favourite, but wear a belt when get up to body weight & trainer watches my back at all times, if I arch he makes me drop it & start again.
Garmin is still saying 26 hours recovery so no run this morning, walk only
Yesterdays food
B: black coffee, 2 Lincolnshire sausages, mushrooms & tomates (baked in oven) & 2 fried eggs
L/ Spanish chicken casserole with salad leaves & pomegranate seeds (I know, leftovers) handful of Brazil nuts no cheese strings
D/ rump steak, cauliflower cheese, green beans & tenderstem broccoli,butter on vegetables,
Pear, d/g cheese (large portion) & tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
Exercise not alot today as had to work (6 hours staring at computer screen)
1.27 mile walk (for gomad)
Plank workout, 50 body weight squats, 50 push-ups, 50 kettlebell halos (25 each side) & 700 hoola hoop rotations (350 each side)

AGC_68

I'm a 48 year old Male or 48M in the new terminology.
I'm luckier than most that no matter what I eat I will be back at fasting or at least <5.4 (100) @ 3 hours.
I do still get 7s or the odd 8 @ 2 hours after eating half a pizza or a full Chinese but after seeing CGM data on non-diabetics I reckon that par for the course.

So last night I had a bacon & mushroom carbonara with real spaghetti, abut 120gs of carbs.
30 min walk with dog, 5.6 @ 2 hour. 4.4 @ 3 hour.

Fasting this morning 4.3 again, in fact it's always that low, think I'm a freak

But exercise is dog walking, after my major carb meal religiously, 30 mins, 3km, podcast . . . . happy
That's great! Good for you Ronan. I'd be delighted with those figures! Interesting to see your history. You've responded very well and quickly to a change in diet and lifestyle. A lot of hard work there too, to get down to 14 stone. You lost 28% of your bodyweight! I presume you went low carb initially?

So what in totality did you eat yesterday? You mention the carbonara, what about breakfast, lunch, snacks?

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

AGC_68

FBG 8.1 so disappointing
I take it you practice karate, hence all the push-ups & pull ups, good on you, I used to do judo as I kid, great sport,
Sounds like you’re a great dad to your daughter, skipping in the park, make the most of it they grow up so quickly, daughter & son are 28 & 24 now, don’t know where the time goes,
heavy (for me) deadlifts are my favourite, but wear a belt when get up to body weight & trainer watches my back at all times, if I arch he makes me drop it & start again.
Garmin is still saying 26 hours recovery so no run this morning, walk only
Yesterdays food
B: black coffee, 2 Lincolnshire sausages, mushrooms & tomates (baked in oven) & 2 fried eggs
L/ Spanish chicken casserole with salad leaves & pomegranate seeds (I know, leftovers) handful of Brazil nuts no cheese strings
D/ rump steak, cauliflower cheese, green beans & tenderstem broccoli,butter on vegetables,
Pear, d/g cheese (large portion) & tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
Exercise not alot today as had to work (6 hours staring at computer screen)
1.27 mile walk (for gomad)
Plank workout, 50 body weight squats, 50 push-ups, 50 kettlebell halos (25 each side) & 700 hoola hoop rotations (350 each side)
A great diet there and still some good movement, good to keep it light after that high intensity workout of yours.
Some T2 diabetics people have a higher FBG in the mornings due to the "dawn effect". Everyone gets the dawn effect, but us T2s show it more due to our insulin resistance. The FBG is just a snapshot. If your BG levels overnight are good, then a sudden rise as your body preps for waking up, with a shot of cortisol causing your liver to produce more BG from its glycogen stores, causes FBG to rise. But if that comes down to lower levels after you have meds (if you are on them) or eat breakfast and your body produces more insulin in response. Your A1C is more important than your FBG, if A1C is in a good range then don't sweat it too much over a temporarily high BG in the AM. If you are concerned that your BGs are consistently high despite your excelelnt diet and lifestyle, try taking a measurement in the middle of the night, have everything prepped and by the bed so you don't get a huge hit of cortisol when you wake up and test. If you think the measures are high even at that time talk to your doctor. Get another A1C. They can also do checks to see if your natural insulin production has been affected. Which will change potentially the drugs they use to manage things. You are very disciplined! Most impressively so. Do not let it get you down. A high FBG with a good A1C is not a problem. If A1C is high then there are things that can be done to get things better. But one step at a time check A1C first. Big hug! If you go to the doc it is good to go prepared with the right info, I have a lot of T2s in my family, some of whom are themselves doctors. They are surprised at the advice and actions of their GPs. When they guide them with the right questions and data the GPs do the right tests. Perhaps your GP is one of the better ones but always good to be prepped. If you want more details you can PM me, I'll be happy to share what I've learnt from my own and my family members' experiences.

AGC_68

FBG: 5.7

Yesterday's food:
B: The usual Greek Yoghurt, Berries, nuts and protein powder combo.
L: Turmeric, garlic and cumin omellete (3 eggs, spinach, mixed greens, red onions and cheddar). Pudding: the last slice of my homemade keto choc ganache tart!
D: Chicken and veg stir fried cauliflower rice Singapore style.

A few sugar free sweets in the evening.

Physical activity:

Walking: ~ 5000 steps

Evening workout:
Warmup:
Shadow boxing and dynamic stretching 10 mins

Workout:
30 toes to bar on the chin up bar
30 chin ups
100 regular press ups
100 close grip press ups
100 squat jumps

Cool down
Stretching 10 mins

AGC_68

FBG 8.1 so disappointing

Great technique on the deadlifts. Always good to do what you love when you train I think. It means you'll keep training and getting benefits. I have a smaller range of stuff I like doing compared to you, I like my punch bag, calisthenics and kettlebells, enough variety for me and keeps me consistent. Lots of friends of mine are always asking for training advice to get fitter. I always say do what you enjoy in terms of physical activity, what you'll be happy doing consistently and you'll get results. But don't think that you can out exercise a bad diet!

Yes, kids grow up too fast. She's 11. Big school next year! Friends and social life will become much important, and rightly so! But dad will miss her and be grateful to be allowed the new role of taxi driver that must stay invisible from new circle of friends LOL. I'll even miss the pocket money shopping trips and lunches! They have become a lot easier to bear since she stopped spending hours in Claire's accessories and Smiggle! :playful:

Judo is a great art, great throws and grappling. I used to do karate and Japanese Jujitsu. But then started training in MMA gyms which was great as it added more realistic grappling mixed with striking. A good way to keep fit too!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
200 push-ups is pretty impressive, & chin ups, luckily I have a libre & scan whenever I wake in the night, b/s always ok then, just goes up when I get up, can get ip to 10 or 11 after the gym, so take 20mg gliclazide & eat and it’ll be down to 5’s again (libre graph is like a steep mountain up & down) then ok for the rest of the day.
DSN referred me to see a consultant in October (still waiting for appointment) had c-peptide & gad test, high probability of MODY not type 2, still diabetic though, been out for family Christmas meal today, company great, food rubbish hardly ate anything so expecting FBG to be low in the morning, need to be at gym at 07.45

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG contour5.2 libre 6.5
Thanks for the advice yesterday, it’s very much appreciated
Food yesterday
B/ black coffee, cream cheese pancakes with blueberries
L/ 1/2 slice turkey, 2 baby carrots & 2 Brussels
Skipped dinner
Out for Christmas lunch with family, lovely to see them, unfortunately food was rubbish, was determined not to eat loads of carbs & succeeded, all food was cold, turkey rubbery & veg raw, not hungry anyway & didn’t touch the snacks in my bag, husband had a coffee (one of the designated drivers) & ended up eating all the sugar cubes in the dish, lunch was at 2 & didn’t get home until 10pm too late for me to eat, but he ended up cooking tea for himself, last pt for the year this morning not sure I’ll be up to doing much though
Exercise/ 1.27 early morning walk for gomad
6,526 steps
At least garmin says I’ll be recovered b 8am for pt

AGC_68

FBG 5.7

B: 2 slices of keto bread toasted with peanut butter, 2 eggs and a small avocado (Thanks for the recipe Debbie Scott :))
L: Chicken curry with mixed greens and cauliflower rice (I made a huge batch, now regretting that I 'll be eating it for the next couple of days, but hey it does save time)
D: Chicken thighs roasted with sumac and spices (I may finally just turn into a chicken this week!), large green salad dressed with olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper, and some wild garlic yoghurt with spinach

Physical activity:

Walking ~ 8000 steps

Workout:
Warm up: 10 minutes shadow boxing and dynamic stretching

Then 4 times around the circuit below with a 32 KG kettlebell, as many reps as possible:
2 mins of double handed clean and squat
2 mins of bent over row (alternating left and right sides)
2 mins of close grip press ups (both hands on the kettlebell)

Cool down:
Hamstring stretches, hip flexor stretches and lumbar stretches

Shoulder feeling SO much better today after the booster jab soreness. Have been dying to do burpees but avoiding due to shoulder .. will do some tonight!

AGC_68

FBG contour5.2 libre 6.5
Thanks for the advice yesterday, it’s very much appreciated
Food yesterday
B/ black coffee, cream cheese pancakes with blueberries
L/ 1/2 slice turkey, 2 baby carrots & 2 Brussels
Skipped dinner
Out for Christmas lunch with family, lovely to see them, unfortunately food was rubbish, was determined not to eat loads of carbs & succeeded, all food was cold, turkey rubbery & veg raw, not hungry anyway & didn’t touch the snacks in my bag, husband had a coffee (one of the designated drivers) & ended up eating all the sugar cubes in the dish, lunch was at 2 & didn’t get home until 10pm too late for me to eat, but he ended up cooking tea for himself, last pt for the year this morning not sure I’ll be up to doing much though
Exercise/ 1.27 early morning walk for gomad
6,526 steps
At least garmin says I’ll be recovered b 8am for pt

OMG mate!! That sounds like really, really bad food at the Christmas lunch! Lovely to see family I bet, but wow! .. the food!! Some places really take the mickey! I hope you had enough energy for an enjoyable last PT session of the year this AM.

So glad to hear that your medical team are good and homing in on the right diagnosis. It can be a nightmare getting that right if you're not simple T1 or T2. Great to know they are aware and will keep track of things and change strategies as and when they need to over time.

Thanks for your posts, they really do keep me motivated. Thanks very much for that. I have a terrible sweet tooth and can be quite a snacker (esp. after dinner). Your posts motivate me to keep eating clean and to be active. Just what I need! It's been about 3.5 months and I am finally getting used to the new diet. No more cravings for the sweet stuff or the carbs .. or at least much fewer cravings, and I don't give in to them. I find the body has a different set point at which it becomes insulin resistant now, so I have to leave out sugars and starchy veg totally. While this seemed like a pain to start with I actually see it as a way of forcing me to be healthier in the long term.

My daughter was going to a family Christmas party on Sat on her mum's, side this Saturday just gone. They all did lateral flow tests, and sadly my daughter tested positive for COVID. So couldn't go to the party. She's 11, very minor symptoms indeed, but she'll be isolating for 10 days. She was upset enough about missing the party, but then she realised that she won't be able to come to mine for Christmas week due to isolation. She was really looking forward to it as it was her turn to be with dad this year for Christmas festivities, back to mum's for the New Year stuff. We had been deciding on the Christmas menu she wanted, my sister is coming down from Glasgow with her kids, we had some stuff booked for the kids to go climbing, bowling, cinema, buffets. Not going to happen for her now. This is now 3 years in a row that we haven't been together for Christmas day. I feel like at 11, it is her last Christmas where she'd still have that excited little kid feeling. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. Hate the thought of the poor kid isolated over this time, but video chats is what it'll have to be. We'll make up for it later.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really sorry to hear about your daughter, bad enough your child being ill & even worse at Christmas, looks like everyone is going to be disappointed, sounds like you had some fun things lined up to do together, I know nobody can say anything to make it any easier for any of you, if you’re on good terms with her mum can’t you come to some sort of compromise over Christmas, maybe send a couple of presents to her mums & watch her open them on FaceTime on Christmas Day, then when she’s better have another Christmas Day with more presents, I know it’s going to be a difficult time for all of you but think of the positives she’s not ill with it, hopefully you can agree on some sort of solution I realise it’s really hard
Glad you enjoyed the bread, I really like it, much prefer crusty sourdough bread though,
Got another pb deadlift today, another kg up to 66kg now(I know this doesn’t sound alot but I weigh 48kg so it is for me)
Looked for a cauliflower in supermarket this morning & they didn’t have any was going to make cauliflower rice.
I used to be a terrible snacker at night too, just kept eating but nothing ever hit the spot, since May I’ve had to keep a food diary for DSN, on libre app now .& it’s made me more accountable so only do it now if I’m hungry, luckily I’ve never had a sweet tooth & not interested in cake at all, bourbons dunked in tea would be an exception but won’t have them in the house.
Pleased your shoulders better & you can do your push-ups again & didn’t have to run
Please tell me you’re not going to eat cauliflower rice on Christmas Day

Reactions: AGC_68

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 7.8
Black coffee, water & strawberry protein powder made with unsweetened almond milk @ gym
B: alpro yogurt with coconut, dessicated coconut, fresh coconut, sunflower seeds, pecans & blueberries
L/ homemade butternut squash, chilli & coconut soup, home made bread with butter & grated cheese, 2 cheese strings & 6 cherries
D/ spinach frittata, pomegranate seeds & Brazil nuts
S/ 4 warm chipolatas
Exercise
Normal routine at gym, stretch
30 minutes Peleton power zone ride
5 minutes stretch
Steps 9562
Intensity minutes (according to garmin) 163, in theory that’s all I have to do for the week

AGC_68

Really sorry to hear about your daughter, bad enough your child being ill & even worse at Christmas, looks like everyone is going to be disappointed, sounds like you had some fun things lined up to do together, I know nobody can say anything to make it any easier for any of you, if you’re on good terms with her mum can’t you come to some sort of compromise over Christmas, maybe send a couple of presents to her mums & watch her open them on FaceTime on Christmas Day, then when she’s better have another Christmas Day with more presents, I know it’s going to be a difficult time for all of you but think of the positives she’s not ill with it, hopefully you can agree on some sort of solution I realise it’s really hard
Glad you enjoyed the bread, I really like it, much prefer crusty sourdough bread though,
Got another pb deadlift today, another kg up to 66kg now(I know this doesn’t sound alot but I weigh 48kg so it is for me)
Looked for a cauliflower in supermarket this morning & they didn’t have any was going to make cauliflower rice.
I used to be a terrible snacker at night too, just kept eating but nothing ever hit the spot, since May I’ve had to keep a food diary for DSN, on libre app now .& it’s made me more accountable so only do it now if I’m hungry, luckily I’ve never had a sweet tooth & not interested in cake at all, bourbons dunked in tea would be an exception but won’t have them in the house.
Pleased your shoulders better & you can do your push-ups again & didn’t have to run
Please tell me you’re not going to eat cauliflower rice on Christmas Day

Cauliflower rice is the new Christmas thing!! That's why they are all sold out ;)
Yes, I really miss crusty sourdough bread sometimes .. but not as much as I used to.
We'll deal with it at Christmas. Video calls and presents can still happen, it'll be like this for a lot of people at Christmas this year, OMICRON is rampant out there. C'est la vie, que pouvez-vous faire?
That is great deadlifting. That'd be the equivalent of a 128 KG deadlift for me!

Bourbons: undisputed kings of the sensibly priced biscuits!

AGC_68

FBG 5.9 (they've been higher than usual past couple of weeks.. I think it may be the strips, new batch starting tomorrow so we'll see)

B: 2 slices of keto bread toasted with peanut butter, berries and pomegranate seeds with Greek yoghurt and crushed walnuts
L: Chicken curry with mixed greens and cauliflower rice (still some left!! refuse to chuck it .. will finish it tomorrow!)
D: Chicken thighs roasted with sumac and spices, grilled halloumi, some homemade hummus (made with black chick peas .. less carbs. Pudding: a big chunk of almond and sugar free choc ganache tart.

Physical activity:

Walking ~ 8000 steps

Workout:
Warm up: 10 minutes shadow boxing and dynamic stretching

4 x 1 minute L sits hanging from the chin up bar
30 L sit chin ups
100 regular press ups
100 close grip press ups
100 Hindu squats with a 20 kg kettlebell

Cool down:
Hamstring stretches, hip flexor stretches and lumbar stretches

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
think people are buying cauliflowers to make cauliflower cheese, I also make hummus but have never heard of black chickpeas,
Are your L sits with legs straight out in front of you, if so very impressive, take it you cook from scratch every day
Sure you will all still enjoy Christmas Day, just not in the way you wanted,
Going on peleton after lunch, it’s exhausting trying to keep up with you

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG libre 6.7 new one started yesterday, contour meter 5.2
I believe the contour
Yesterdays food
B: 2 boiled eggs, 4 chipolatas as soldiers
L/ chicken breast cooked with lemon & black pepper mixed with mayo, chia seeds & pinenuts,
Too much d/g cheese, cherry tomatoes, cherries & coconut flakes
D/homemade bolognaise with soybean spaghetti & Italian hard cheese grated
Exercise
1.27 mile walk for gomad, 30 minutes boxing on peleton (doesn’t seem much today)
Steps 18,260 so have been busy
Back in the gym early this morning

AGC_68

FBG: 6.7 (last of the old batch of test strips)

B: Greek Yoghurt, pomegranate seeds, raspberries and blueberries
L: Keto bread, 2 slices toasted and buttered, one with Brie and one with extra mature Cheddar .. delicious, really like that bread recipe, thank you! 2 poached eggs and an avocado, mixed green salad
D: Last of the chicken curry with cauliflower rice
Late night snack: a lot of almonds and dark chocolate (not a good idea, will skip breakfast today and only have 2 meals, no snacks).

Steps: ~ 8000 steps

Workout quite late as well at about 10 PM (was ravenous afterwards .. had to eat, not happy about that will be more disciplined).

Warmup: dynamic stretching 10 mins

Workout:
30 L-sit chin ups
100 regular press ups
100 shoulder presses with a pair of 18 kg dumbbells
100 single arm deadlifts with 32 kg kettlebell (alternating between left and right arm)
100 calf raises with 32 kg bell
100 crunches

Cool down: hamstring and hip flexor stretches

AGC_68

FBG libre 6.7 new one started yesterday, contour meter 5.2
I believe the contour
Yesterdays food
B: 2 boiled eggs, 4 chipolatas as soldiers
L/ chicken breast cooked with lemon & black pepper mixed with mayo, chia seeds & pinenuts,
Too much d/g cheese, cherry tomatoes, cherries & coconut flakes
D/homemade bolognaise with soybean spaghetti & Italian hard cheese grated
Exercise
1.27 mile walk for gomad, 30 minutes boxing on peleton (doesn’t seem much today)
Steps 18,260 so have been busy
Back in the gym early this morning
Great FBG!! Fantastic going!

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

AGC_68

think people are buying cauliflowers to make cauliflower cheese, I also make hummus but have never heard of black chickpeas,
Are your L sits with legs straight out in front of you, if so very impressive, take it you cook from scratch every day
Sure you will all still enjoy Christmas Day, just not in the way you wanted,
Going on peleton after lunch, it’s exhausting trying to keep up with you
Yes L-sits with legs straight out in front. My abs seem to need lots of stress before they respond.
Black chick peas are a little smaller and harder, and have more polyphenols. You can get them in Morrisons. I've noticed the macros for chick peas vary a lot depending on brand and where they come from. Since becoming T2 I do get BG spikes from chickpeas and black beans which I used to love. The brand I use is KTC which I think are from India, whizzed up with garlic cloves, tahini and olive oil, with salt and spice to your taste, they're pretty good. Very different taste though.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG libre says 7.4 but meter says 6.3
Yesterdays food
Before gym/ mug of tea & 3 cold chipolatas
At gym/ water, black coffee & coconut oil, strawberry protein shake with almond milk
B/ alpro yogurt with dessicated & flaked coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds & blueberries
L/ same as day before, prepped both at same time
D/ scrambled eggs on keto toast, handful of walnuts
Exercise/ normal routine at gym, told to drop deadlifts to 60 kg & do more reps, did 3x 6 reps
Steps 5445 (sat at desk all day)
Off to gym now for treadmill workout