First 7 Day Fast COMPLETED!!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Completion of Day 5 results:

(BTW in case you are wondering how I collect daily data, I use a Withings Cardio Body set of scales, Pulse O2 fit bit, GlucoRX and SD Code Free for BG and On.Call for blood Ketones)

BG 5.0

Ketones: 0.9

BP: 112/69

Fat Mass: 16.2%

Weight: 11st 1lbs

BPM 62

Next report FBG first thing tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I forgot to ask. Do you still run on a morning ok on IF?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
FBG this morning 4.9. Full result 7pm:)

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot to ask. Do you still run on a morning ok on IF?

Yes, I still run, do all my gym sessions nothing changes at all.

So I am now in to day 6 and feel "normal", the longer I've gone the easier it has become .....weird:)

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, I still run, do all my gym sessions nothing changes at all.

So I am now in to day 6 and feel "normal", the longer I've gone the easier it has become .....weird:)

That's how i felt starving myself into anorexia but then started having no energy.
Of course IF is safer and only for short periods of time.
I found my aim to lose weight became addictive. I guess I'm an addictive person.
You most likely aren't. Addictive behavour can be genetic. Boy have my both parents got it!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's how i felt starving myself into anorexia but then started having no energy.
Of course IF is safer and only for short periods of time.
I found my aim to lose weight became addictive. I guess I'm an addictive person.
You most likely aren't. Addictive behavour can be genetic. Boy have my both parents got it!

Oh...I ha e very addictive behaviour patterns, but I'm at an age where I am fully aware of my propensity, my wife is very supportive and the doc keeps a close eye on me.

At 7pm tomorrow night I'm having a massive rib eye and mixed greens sautéed and OPPO salted caramel....haha:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The (inevitable) rising ketones put me off, fasting isn't for me.
But nutritionall ketones are what many of us want to see and it's not only fasting that will generate them - very low carb eating will do so too. There's a big difference between quite normal and healthy "nutritional ketosis" at the levels Kevin's seeing and the very high uncontrolled glucose and ketone levels combined with a severe lack of insulin that can cause dangerous ketoacidosis.

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But nutritionall ketones are what many of us want to see and it's not only fasting that will generate them - very low carb eating will do so too. There's a big difference between quite normal and healthy "nutritional ketosis" at the levels Kevin's seeing and the very high uncontrolled glucose and ketone levels combined with a severe lack of insulin that can cause dangerous ketoacidosis.

Robbity

Prof Tim Noakes in court evidence recently confirmed that it is impossible to develop dangerous levels of ketones on a ketogenic diet and that it is only in a state of ketosis (.6-4.0) that the body fully uses fat for fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prof Tim Noakes in court evidence recently confirmed that it is impossible to develop dangerous levels of ketones on a ketogenic diet and that it is only in a state of ketosis (.6-4.0) that the body fully uses fat for fuel.

Yes by definition ketogenic diets are very low in carbs, so logic says NO ketoacidosis... one vital trigger is lacking.

Robbity

PS @KevinPotts: Next time you do a 4 or 7 day fast have you considered adding a Freestle Libre to your battery of monitoring gadgetry so you can do 24 hours a day glucose levels logging too?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes by definition ketogenic diets are very low in carbs, so logic says NO ketoacidosis... one vital trigger is lacking.

Robbity

PS @KevinPotts: Next time you do a 4 or 7 day fast have you considered adding a Freestle Libre to your battery of monitoring gadgetry so you can do 24 hours a day glucose levels logging too?

That would've really fascinating. I'll give it some thought:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Completion of Day 6 results:

BG 4.9

BP: 114/74

Fat Mass: 16.1%

Weight: 11st 0lbs (70kg)

BPM 57

BMI 21.14

So happy:)... this is the target weight Doc was aiming for 3 months ago and 5 days to meeting up with Dr:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KevinPotts , when you reintroduce food after a fast do you do it gradually?
When I followed medically supervised total food replacement, (extreme ND) the advice given to me was to start the first day with one portion of green veg, the second day two portions of green veg, day three two portions of green veg plus one serving of fish or chicken, day 4 two meals of veg and protein, plus milk, on day 5 as day 4 but have a small amount of carb. Testing BG after the meals each day.
The slow reintroduction of food, particularly the carbs, was so that the depleted glycogen store was not overwhelmed, and also to monitor carefully the amounts of carb that could be tolerated.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@KevinPotts , when you reintroduce food after a fast do you do it gradually?
When I followed medically supervised total food replacement, (extreme ND) the advice given to me was to start the first day with one portion of green veg, the second day two portions of green veg, day three two portions of green veg plus one serving of fish or chicken, day 4 two meals of veg and protein, plus milk, on day 5 as day 4 but have a small amount of carb. Testing BG after the meals each day.
The slow reintroduction of food, particularly the carbs, was so that the depleted glycogen store was not overwhelmed, and also to monitor carefully the amounts of carb that could be tolerated.

You are right of course, but I'll have to take a chance and Yvonne and I have agreed we'll split one rib eye and greens and no OPPO...best I can do:)

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completion of Day 6 results:

BG 4.9

BP: 114/74

Fat Mass: 16.1%

Weight: 11st 0lbs (70kg)

BPM 57

BMI 21.14

So happy:)... this is the target weight Doc was aiming for 3 months ago and 5 days to meeting up with Dr:)

Many congrats on hitting your target..superb effort.. good luck with the FBG tomorrow.. will await with bated etc...

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Woke early.....morning folks....still 4.9 this morning. I'm pleased as I usually nudge up overnight, but nothing to nudge it with, at least in the liver:) 7pm ish final readings with pics if before and after tonight....:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Woke early.....morning folks....still 4.9 this morning. I'm pleased as I usually nudge up overnight, but nothing to nudge it with, at least in the liver:) 7pm ish final readings with pics if before and after tonight....:)

I'm looking forward to your conclusions.
Also whether youll suffer a carb flu when you stop fasting or similiar. Fairly new territory. Someone must have been the first to experience a carb flu. Yours might be a liver detox flu? Or maybe no flu at all.
I'm interested in how long after your fbgs will return to none fasting normal.
I worked with a man who wasnt diabetic who only had an evening meal daily for all the 6yrs i worked with him. Herbal tea and decaf coffee and water only throughout the day.
I also worked with ramadan supporters. Who also ate after dark if had medical conditions.
Indulgence kept under wraps and exercise with our body working properly are the key elements to keeping diabetes in its place.
But i think we've all already knew that.
Afterall none insulin resistant diabetics maintain their fat levels so they never have to worry, right? Its when they stop the exercise and start indulging they have trouble.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just realising I've lost 6.5 stone (41.4kg) since 2012....wooooo:)

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Congratulations Kevin and very, very well done on completion of your fast today

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You never know, whilst I now try to weight stabilise I might hit 7 stone and no loose skin. I think that's because it's taken me 4 years.

I was getting a bit of loose this last 3 months, but with resistance gym work it's gone, with the space filled by muscle:)

Last edited by a moderator: