First Update

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally had my complete "New Starter" visit at Diabetes clinic, and they seemed happy 90+ % of BS readings in the correct range now ; Insulin slightly reduced 2x10 instead of 2x12 daily ; Hb1Ac on diagnosis (Dec 18) was 131 ! ; now down to 69 .

What else do I now need to look at?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Colin Crowhurst your doing a great job, there's no rush to bring your HbA1c down without your teams guidance, as long as your keeping a good dialogue with your team and getting clued up as much as you can then take it one day at a time. How are you finding things ?

Reactions: EllieM

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj Surprisingly straight forward to manage actually, I would not say "easy" but keeping things sensible and not rushing seems to have been my key! Obviously ignoring Xmas helped a little and a one-off BG reading of 1.6 similarly!

Now to read up on what the Prof. suggested for the future; firstly moving to a more "complex" but less rigid insulin regime (get by that away for a Novomix twice daily to a Bolan/Bolus type of regime) Secondly re-assessing whether I am type 1 or type 2 as its still up in the air!

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Colin Crowhurst - moving to a basal/bolus routine will help you so much more in terms of flexibility and also control so it's a wise move, it's not so hard to get your head round but will require a little more thought as you need to understand carb values of everything that passes your lips. Are you keeping fast acting glucose on you at all times for hypos ?

Reactions: Colin Crowhurst

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj ; Hypo's nothing yet, but yes huge bag of those "treats" ready to go, but so far not needed them, almost curious to let it drop and see what it feels like! (don't worry not really serious!) even have a glucogon injection so feel very well sorted and organised. Got the Carbs and Cals book and do record into my phone app what I eat and then re-assess at next test to see if my "best guess" was about right.

Finally Prof also mentioned that I could be a prime candidate for a funded Libre in another 6 months!

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's great news about the Libre @Colin Crowhurst It's a real help particularly with changing insulin. Keep on doing what your doing as it sounds like you've got your head switched and and are doing great ;)

Reactions: Colin Crowhurst