Fish Consumption And Diabetes Risk

There’s little question that fish contain environmental pollutants such as mercury and PCBs with, generally, bigger fish such as shark and tuna containing more and smaller fish like sardines containing less. That’s been common knowledge between health researchers for a while now. The real question is whether that translates into any of the major degenerative diseases in people (such as cancer or diabetes).

Well, sadly, in the case of diabetes it does appear to be the case.

Here’s a great video by Dr. Michael Greger summarizing the science between diabetes risk and fish consumption:

As he mentioned in the video, besides the pollutants, the causal link could also very well be the oxidative stress causing n-3 fatty acid content of the fish. That obviously goes against the mainstream opinion on diet but one can certainly find smart people that would support that notion and as far as I’ve seen the research on fish oil seems to be quite mixed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lies, **** lies and Greger’s statistics..
vegan propagandist maybe?
I think the red meat statistic gives it away...

Reactions: ickihun

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, what do we eat? Grass? Actually, no because the soil is depleted and there won't be enough nutrients, and the grass may be sprayed with all sorts of nasty chemicals.... I think this thread ties in with the 5 diets to avoid (apparently) started by @Oldvatr. I am reminded of the Great Parsnip Scare some time ago, when it was announced that parsnips were carcinogenic. Turned out you'd needed to have eaten a truck-full to be at risk. I am not making fun of these very serious issues surrounding diets and research, but it seems to me that for so many diets/lifestyles pushed or written about, there are hidden agendas or hidden and dubious funding. We are told that fish, especially oily fish is good for us. Only to then be told that it isn't and it's loaded with pollutants. Ok, so we cut out fish. Or we don't because we like it or for other reasons and instead just don't eat tins and tins. One week coffee is good; the next week it is the spawn of the Devil. As others have said on other threads, it is your choice and no-one else's, your gut feeling (excuse the pun) about which/what is best for you and what works best for you. Of course do as much research and reading as possible, but listen to your mind and body. The trouble is, we are so bombarded with mixed messages - that's good, that's bad; don't do that, do this - that there is a danger of ending up carrying on before. (People in general.)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, what do we eat? Grass? Actually, no because the soil is depleted and there won't be enough nutrients, and the grass may be sprayed with all sorts of nasty chemicals.... I think this thread ties in with the 5 diets to avoid (apparently) started by @Oldvatr. I am reminded of the Great Parsnip Scare some time ago, when it was announced that parsnips were carcinogenic. Turned out you'd needed to have eaten a truck-full to be at risk. I am not making fun of these very serious issues surrounding diets and research, but it seems to me that for so many diets/lifestyles pushed or written about, there are hidden agendas or hidden and dubious funding. We are told that fish, especially oily fish is good for us. Only to then be told that it isn't and it's loaded with pollutants. Ok, so we cut out fish. Or we don't because we like it or for other reasons and instead just don't eat tins and tins. One week coffee is good; the next week it is the spawn of the Devil. As others have said on other threads, it is your choice and no-one else's, your gut feeling (excuse the pun) about which/what is best for you and what works best for you. Of course do as much research and reading as possible, but listen to your mind and body. The trouble is, we are so bombarded with mixed messages - that's good, that's bad; don't do that, do this - that there is a danger of ending up carrying on before. (People in general.)
Now we got micro-plastics to ingest (and breathe according to the news today). I remember the reports that a woman died from a sufeit of carrots on the carrot diet. A diet of rabbit or hare can lead to serious health conditions if taken to extreme. All diets involving living matter to ingest will suffer chemical or biological pollution to some degree or other. Maybe algae grown in special vats will provide for us in the future, I remember a report that Newcasrtle Brown Ale contains LSD. In practice it needs about 80 pints to make a trip, but it might explain why the world strobed after a heavy night out when at Uni.

Even water kills if you have enough of it.

Reactions: Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. It makes you afraid to eat anything. It used to freak me out. Now I just do the best I can, buy organic when available, don’t eat processed or junk foods, get a wide variety of proteins, eat natural healthy fats and hope for the best. There’s always controversy to every single food. I wear to live not live to eat and I don’t over eat. I think over feeding is just as problematic. IMO of course.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember the reports that a woman died from a sufeit of carrots on the carrot diet. A diet of rabbit or hare can lead to serious health conditions if taken to extreme.
I tried the rabbit diet but I had to give it up because of the rate at which my family was increasing and the number of holes I was digging in the garden. Another problem was that I was starting to think the carrot diet sounded appealing.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat loads of fish and compared to where I started I'm as fit as a fiddle - fake news!!!
I eat lots of fish too. Lots of canned wild planet tuna as it’s only cooked once to retain omega 3’s and they only use small tuna so lower mercury. They test often. Also wild Alaskan canned salmon, flounder, baby Oregon shrimp. NEVER anything from China
I eat fish of some sort most evening meals. Occasionally an omelet when it’s blustery cold. Comfort food
Poultry or lamb or eggs during the day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat a lot of tinned salmon - Wild Alaskan only. It is fish from fish farms you need to be most careful of. They can be lethal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also eat a lot of tinned salmon - Wild Alaskan only. It is fish from fish farms you need to be most careful of. They can be lethal.
Absolutely. And luckily I don’t like the huge fish like shark, king makeral, swordfish. Yuk.
Costco has beautiful tilapia loins that look nothing like regular tilapia. I questioned it until their news letter said it is farmed, but responsibly in crystal clear waters and fed the way they’re supposed to be fed. I guess it’s a body of water only for them so there’s no contaminates and no mercury. They’re delicious. Pure white long thickish loins. Not that veiny stuff you see. And I trust Costco’s sourcing as much as I can trust anyone.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
nutritionfacts .org is a vegan propaganda site. They cherry pick studies that support their vegan agenda and ignore any studies that contradict it. However, there is truth that some seafood can have elevated mercury and other man made contaminants.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am on benefits, so i eat what i can afford. Thats the way it is. i have to take my chances and just do my best.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also prefer wild Alaskan fish. I used to buy lots of it in tins, but recently I discovered that Morrisons sells Alaskan salmon portions frozen. At 4 for £3 (portions are nearly 100g) they are as cheap as if not cheaper than the tins and IMO MUCH nicer. They also sell nice Alaskan pollock at 4 fillets for £2. Salmon and pollock from Alaska come top in the lists of least polluted fish. And as I am rather effort-averse, I am glad not to have to open all those tins and wash them out ready for re-cycling.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tasmanian salmon, Queensland Barramundi and Threadfin are my preferred fish

D

Deleted member 308541

Some of our reef fish here will give you Ciguatera poisoning.

We eat a lot of sea food, and have fish on a regular basis.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of our reef fish here will give you Ciguatera poisoning.

We eat a lot of sea food, and have fish on a regular basis.
Just looked up reef fish

Guaranteed I will be going no where near the toad Fish!!! Not even buried in avo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Just looked up reef fish

Guaranteed I will be going no where near the road Fish!!! Not even buried in avo
We had a baked Red Emperor for dinner on Friday night at the club, and a nice salad to go with it.

Where we live here in Bundagerg is on the southern end of the GBR, plenty of reasonably priced fish and crustaceans when they are in season.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my mom grew up in Boston Massachusetts. We used to go to cape cod and trap our own lobsters and crab. Brought them back in the little boat and threw them in boiling water. Clarified butter. I can’t stand The rubbery lobster we get here now.
One year my client gave me two lobster tails. One warm water, one cold water. Same weight on both. Cooked them in garlic butter. Mine was chewy and rubbery and Jeff’s was tender and moist. Go figure I gave him the good one!! He shared, good man that he is. I shared mine too. Bad wife!