1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Food

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Diane_56, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Diane_56

Diane_56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Last night I had scrambled eggs with bacon and mushrooms and beans was that OK

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you get hold of a book called Carbs & Cal's? It has lots of photos of food and the carbs in various portion sizes to help you calculate your intake.

I notice you have a lot of questions. Are you testing your blood sugar levels before and two hours after eating?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Bacon, eggs and 'shrooms was fine,or rather, better than fine. The beans? Some people can have them, some can't. I'm of the "can't" variety, they're too starchy/carby for me. Do you have a meter?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between the carbs in a tablespoon of beans and half a tin. The Carbs and Cals book that @lucylocket61 mentioned is very useful for estimating carbs for a portion of food.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Sounds pretty good. Beans are full of fibre and protein but also carbs, so make sure they are low sugar beans if tinned and not too many.

6. Diane_56

Diane_56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies will have a look

7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Without a meter to test your blood glucose - who knows.
    Personally I can eat runner or green beans in small amounts, and also bean sprouts, but tinned haricots in sauce are not on my shopping list.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Start looking at the nutrition info on the back of food packaging and try to aim for a carbohydrate percentage of 10g carbs per 100g max or less. You can try for 5g carbs per 10g too if you want to go really low carb. It's a good habit to get into with all foods.
    Meat, fish, eggs are pretty much zero carb so you don't need to worry but anything else should have the info you need on the label

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook