Foot Rash (Horrible Picture Warning!)

laurag2905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had this rash on my foot now for about 8 weeks, there is no pain, I still have full sensation in my foot, it isn't bruised and I haven't hurt it. I can move my toes. There are no other symptoms at all. I am type 2 diabetic, but have been following a low carb diet for the past 6 weeks and thought that may help clear it up as well as I start to manage my diabetes better. I didn't want to bother the doctor as I figured it would probably go away on its own, but its still there! Anyone else ever had this and have any idea if its related to diabetes or not?

Attachments

• footrash.jpg
    footrash.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 27,609

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've had this rash on my foot now for about 8 weeks, there is no pain, I still have full sensation in my foot, it isn't bruised and I haven't hurt it. I can move my toes. There are no other symptoms at all. I am type 2 diabetic, but have been following a low carb diet for the past 6 weeks and thought that may help clear it up as well as I start to manage my diabetes better. I didn't want to bother the doctor as I figured it would probably go away on its own, but its still there! Anyone else ever had this and have any idea if its related to diabetes or not?

@laurag2905 please see your doctor as soon as you can. Diabetics should not ignore problems with their feet.

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Rashes are funny things. The same condition can sometimes cause two people to have very different looking reactions. Best to see your GP and get this identified. It could be something inocuous but you won't know until it is seen by a medic.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with them ^ :)

But I would like to say that, on a scale of ‘horrible foot photos’ yours is merely a 1 out of 10.
In fact, I don’t see any horribleness at all. :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have something similar on my right shin, GP told me it was the deposits from old blood cells collecting there due to my poor blood circulation. He didn't actually tell me anything positive, as in how we were going to treat it. I've taken up a series of yoga exercises to improve my leg muscles, with help from my physio, who is a goddess.
If you ever have questions about your feet be sure to ask them as they are really important to a person well being.

Reactions: Freema and Guzzler

laurag2905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your help, I will make an appointment to see the doctor and take it from there. I work in an office, and don't do much exercise, I also sit on my foot alot which is a bad habit I've had for a long time, so I'm guessing that probably isn't helping my circulation either. Hopefully if I start to do more exercise it will go away!

Reactions: Freema and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have something similar on my right shin, GP told me it was the deposits from old blood cells collecting there due to my poor blood circulation. He didn't actually tell me anything positive, as in how we were going to treat it. I've taken up a series of yoga exercises to improve my leg muscles, with help from my physio, who is a goddess.
If you ever have questions about your feet be sure to ask them as they are really important to a person well being.
I have dark patches on the front of both my shins.. was told by an older doctor it was varicose exzema which so far as I can tell is a circulation issue. It has lightened considerably since loosing weight but is still quite visible at times. Wonder if it is the same thing?

laurag2905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will let you know what the doctor says! Interesting that it has lightened since you have lost weight though, so maybe that is due to the increased circulation? Also on another subject, am I right in thinking that you follow the low carb option as a way of managing your diabetes? I just noticed that from your signature it shows your cholesterol has risen as you've lost weight, is that due to the HFLC option do you think? Are you off all medication now? I have lost 6lbs now but its very slow coming off (5 weeks), however I feel like once its gone it won't be back this time, so I'm not too worried about the slow weight loss any more and I know that with my type 2, fatty liver and PCOS, I'm lucky to have lost those 6lbs and kept them off :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have dark patches on the front of both my shins.. was told by an older doctor it was varicose exzema which so far as I can tell is a circulation issue. It has lightened considerably since loosing weight but is still quite visible at times. Wonder if it is the same thing?

Sounding very like it. Mine is better on my left shin, right shin is still work in progress... and my right foot is the one that gets "cold"... :(

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will let you know what the doctor says! Interesting that it has lightened since you have lost weight though, so maybe that is due to the increased circulation? Also on another subject, am I right in thinking that you follow the low carb option as a way of managing your diabetes? I just noticed that from your signature it shows your cholesterol has risen as you've lost weight, is that due to the HFLC option do you think? Are you off all medication now? I have lost 6lbs now but its very slow coming off (5 weeks), however I feel like once its gone it won't be back this time, so I'm not too worried about the slow weight loss any more and I know that with my type 2, fatty liver and PCOS, I'm lucky to have lost those 6lbs and kept them off :)

I've lost about a third of my starting weight through LCHishF and my cholesterol has gone through the roof and shows no sign of coming down. Can't say I am particularly bothered as I think the various statins I've been on have had a devastating effect on my biochemistry.... so controlling my glucose is my major target. Diet and exercise rule for me.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have dark dry patches beneath both kneecaps - looked online and apparently I'm dirty and don't wash my knees enough. Don't you just love google?!

I'm glad you are going to see your GP, @laurag2905 - as others have said, any foot problem shouldn't be ignored. You might have hit on something with your mention of sitting on your foot as pressure and friction can cause that sort of rash too, especially if you wear socks.

Er, daft question no. 569: how do you put two different posts into one reply? I see this a lot and haven't worked it out yet!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm an ultra low carb ketogenic eater.. total cholesterol has increased but in my view its a meaningless number so doesn't worry me.
No meds for over 2 years (only took metformin for 3 weeks) no way would I ever consider statins. My weight loss has plateaued for about 9 months now but I'm stable so don't really mind.. may start some more extended fasts to kick start metabolism and see if any more pounds come off but like @hankjam I've lost almost 1/3 of my start weight so can't complain.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a rash on both of my feet that looked indentical to your rash, mine went away when my blood sugars started to normalize. Dont know if that was coincidental as I didnt ask my doctor.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Er, daft question no. 569: how do you put two different posts into one reply? I see this a lot and haven't worked it out yet!
You select the part of the post you want to reply to, then it will give you a small reply button. Click it, reply, select the part of another post you want to reply to and it will appear in the same post :)

And good luck with the foot!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You select the part of the post you want to reply to, then it will give you a small reply button. Click it, reply, select the part of another post you want to reply to and it will appear in the same post :)

And good luck with the foot!
Thanks @Antje77 - I've been trying to multi-quote for ages! Just tried it - simple when you know how! :)

Reactions: Antje77

laurag2905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a rash on both of my feet that looked indentical to your rash, mine went away when my blood sugars started to normalize. Dont know if that was coincidental as I didnt ask my doctor.

What did your blood sugars normalise to before it went away? My last hba1 was 60? Which had come down from 70. Was you in the 40s before it went away? Take care Laura

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you might have some fungal growth between your toes as well - unless it is just the photo rather than really there - and you seem to have rather short nails - I'd recommend not cutting them so harshly, let them grow to protect the tips of your toes.
Whilst making dinner most evenings I spend a few minutes dancing to one of my cds, to get the blood moving, and later I wash my feet, just using fairly warm water, towel them off and rub on some E45 cream. I put on slippers after that. My feet were quite dark at diagnosis, but have become soft and pink

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did your blood sugars normalise to before it went away? My last hba1 was 60? Which had come down from 70. Was you in the 40s before it went away? Take care Laura
My second hba1c 6months after dianosis was in the thirties, the rash disappeared sometime before the second test. I had the rash for over a year before I was diagnosed.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rashes are funny things. The same condition can sometimes cause two people to have very different looking reactions. Best to see your GP and get this identified. It could be something inocuous but you won't know until it is seen by a medic.
Exactly. I have ad the other month a similar rash on my front legs. My GP give me a recipe for an antibacterial and steroid ointment.

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the same rash on my Ankles would be good to see what your Dr says.