getting back on the wagon

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a very big hug from me. So sorry to hear you're struggling today -- though entirely relatable given your dream about the cat and feeling you can hear him.

Just try to get through the next meal. The following one might be a lot easier.

Remember you're not alone. We have got your back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not ready at all to even think about another pet.

Today is difficult, I am struggling. Really struggling. But I think I should post, especially if I am struggling. I managed to get round the shops without buying rubbish, but I feel shaky and weepy. Partly due to dreams about my cat, and also I keep thinking I can hear him.....................weird.

I have also posted on the 'meds too big' thread about my lack of success with the pharmacy. Thank you all for being here. I can get through today, I can.............and tomorrow may be easier - right?

The only time I ever had to have an animal put to sleep it was just so, so heartbreaking. That dog went everywhere with me, and I mean everywhere.

In those days, dogs tended to be a loose in the car, and he used to love to sit on the back seat behind me with his nose on my shoulder; almost driving with me. For a long time I would talk to him in the car, or sit waiting to hear his tail go into overdrive if I saw another dog or someone we knew.

It's hard.

Stick with us, Lucy. There's always someone around if you need company.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was ok. I ate too much, but no rubbish and watched my carbs.

I haven't had the courage to test my blood this week.

I have a whole cooked chicken and plenty of veg and salad in the fridge.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really, really well done, @lucylocket61. How are you feeling?

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about eating a bit more or about measuring blood sugars for the time being . You've been low carbing long enough and know from experience that blood sugars will come down eventually anyway once you eliminate most carbs. (By the way I didn't measure glucose levels for almost a whole year after diagnosis (too chicken to do this), just changed my way of eating and it worked fine.)

Start using your meter again when you feel ready.

Sofie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please dont use this thread to tell me off, I know i have stuffed up.

Five weeks ago my father died suddenly. Last week I had to have my cat put to sleep, he was 19 years old.

I cant stop eating for the past week. All the things I shouldnt eat. Eating and eating. I know I am eating my feelings, and not addressing them, but I am in a loop now and need some ideas to get stop this and deal with my emotions in a constructive way.I have no access to any counselling and have at least another 11 months to go on the waiting list for cbt.

On top of this, I have been prescribed metformin SR for my PCOS. I feel like a failure for having to resort to meds.

Basically, I am in a mess and need some constructive advice please.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Please stop to beat yourself up! Many of us lose track when our situations are extraordinary. Have done that myself. I hope you will find help with the Samaritans!

With regard to your blood glucose level, take it slowly. May be it is wise to start to measure your bgl in the morning and two hours after breakfast. When you feel that you master your bgl after your breakfasts, please chose another meal you will try to go in for. I thought the dinners was worst to plan (when I was in grief). Remember grief is not a quick fix. If you don't get control over your daily bgl after trying for some time. May be the best will be to ask your GP for medication temporally (higher dosage if you already use meds).

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still feeling very upset, but without self loathing and guilt added to the mix.

Then that sounds like a good moment in you day,
not easy to do, so good for you.

Tough days and months, with a smattering of good moments,
that eventually get longer and longer
that's the rhythm of grieving.

@ziggy_w makes a great point, do what suits YOU, when you are ready for it.

Take care.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Sofie2

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still feeling very upset, but without self loathing and guilt added to the mix.

Glad to hear that guilt and self-loathing is gone, probably didn't help to have this in the mix also. The rest will certainly take a quite a while, I am sure.

I do own a cat myself, can't imagine life when she's gone (though I know this will eventually happen), so I absolutely empathize. It's like part of you is missing.

Reactions: jjraak and Sofie2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have every right to be upset. Not having the self-loathing and guilt added to that though, is a great stride forward. You be good to yourself, okay?

Reactions: Sofie2