Going on about diabetes too much

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else feel like they talk about their diabetes a lot of the time? I feel as though I want to explain it and I want everyone to understand it and know that it is difficult to live with. But I also don't want it to define me and moan about it too much. How do you find the right balance?

Reactions: 12 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Outside of the forum I never mention it except with my diabetes team, but that's just me as I've never wanted to make an issue of having diabetes, however if anyone asks I'm happy to talk about it.

Reactions: 17 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont generally discuss it. I tlk to a work colleague who was diabetic and has now been taken off the diabetic register but that's about it. In fact most of my colleagues or family do not know that I'm diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I only use the opportunity to educate folk on my Diabetes .
When 'they' ask me anything about it ...
Food , injections, pain/needles/lancets , routine , diagnosis etc .

I do it in a with pride positive manner .
I refuse to feel it should hinder me in any way .

Folk 'listen more' this way I have found .
Everyone has been great about it too . :D

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I try to keep quiet about it as I don't want to bore the pants off my family and friends, but as Noblehead has said, if anyone asks, I'm delighted to chat. Living on my own, this forum has been an enormous help, as I can indulge myself in the Diabetic world, read about other peoples problems, learn a lot and offer a little bit of help when I can. I'm a newby, so I tend to absorb more than I can give at the moment. My family, bless them, don't have a clue what I'm going through during this first year, but hopefully it'll get easier and Diabetes will be a part of my life rather than ruling it at the moment.

Reactions: 24 people
G

graj0

How do you find the right balance?

I only get on my soapbox when I'm invited to. The majority of non diabetics that I know are not aware of the detail except they might know that type I needs insulin type II may not.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
For me it depends. If there are people who are interested, then I'll talk about it. For example, one of the trainers at the gym has reactive Hypoglycaemia, and is interested in the metabolic effects of training. What's interesting from his point of view is that blood glucose reactions show off a lot of things they don't necessarily see in non-diabetics, so there's lots of discussion takes place there.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I think it depends on your circumstances. As a retired teacher I know that sometimes people around type 1 diabetics need to know about them and how to deal with hypos. I worked with a type 1 diabetic who didn't always manage it well, and sometimes needed to be reminded to eat. I also taught type 1s and we needed to know that they might need to eat something in a hurry.
I am still working round protocols for politely refusing cake - sometimes diabetes is the best way of saying "that looks really nice but..."
If I go out for a meal with friends, they need to be aware wthat my carb load will be low. I wouldn't want them labouring long and hard on a once lovely sugary pudding only for me to say "Grrr NO thank you!"

Reactions: 8 people

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the consensus seems to be that if you are asked to talk about it or people need to know that you're diabetic for safety reasons than you do talk about it and if not you don't. Thank you for replying, this was my first question and I only joined the site yesterday so it's great to get so many responses so quickly. I'll try not to moan about it as much I guess :p

Reactions: 18 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So the consensus seems to be that if you are asked to talk about it or people need to know that you're diabetic for safety reasons than you do talk about it and if not you don't. Thank you for replying, this was my first question and I only joined the site yesterday so it's great to get so many responses so quickly. I'll try not to moan about it as much I guess :p
I think the general consensus is that everyone has their own issues and struggles and that for us lot, diabetes is one of our biggest. Just because it plays a big part in our lives doesn't mean that other people will be all that interested. It's worth dropping it in to conversation, and then taking cues from the other person. If they yawn and their eyes glaze then you know your answer ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always talk about it if asked. I may bring it into a conversation about diet to make the point that carbs are the reason for obesity and not fats i.e. I increase my insulin for carbs but only slightly for the fats & proteins. I may warn someone in the workplace that I'm on insulin just in case, so they know what to do if I fall over.

C

catherinecherub

Does anyone else feel like they talk about their diabetes a lot of the time? I feel as though I want to explain it and I want everyone to understand it and know that it is difficult to live with. But I also don't want it to define me and moan about it too much. How do you find the right balance?

You were only diagnosed last November as a teenager and so it is a big challenge in your life and quite normal to talk about it.
You will find that it gradually becomes part of your life and there will be no need to explain unless someone asks.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I explain things to my daughter and tell her ive a new meter etc and realised im a bore when she said "well if i get diabetes i will know all about it" whoops will shut up now

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've apologised to my long suffering hubby about being a bore about diabetes but I find explaining things out load actually helps me understand the topic, I know the cut off point is when he lapses into a boredom coma or starts snoring, I suspect though I may as well be talking to myself most of the time bless him he is so patient
Jan

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I don't think I ever mention it unless I'm asked something specific.
Someone mentioned my weight loss not long back and I gave a brief explanation about LCHF which led to mentioning this site which went on and on and ... I think that was a one off.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than my husband, I don't discuss it outside this forum. My family, friends, and colleagues do not know. I was never an unhealthy eater, so when eating out, no one has really noticed a change in my food choices.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only mention it if I need to make someone aware of hypos, or if anyone asks. I usually find ppl are quite interested.... But maybe they're just being polite! Lol

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I rarely mention it to anyone outside close family . The only time I tend to say the D word is when unknowing people try to insist I eat something that I know will upset the regime ;)

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the general consensus is that everyone has their own issues and struggles and that for us lot, diabetes is one of our biggest. Just because it plays a big part in our lives doesn't mean that other people will be all that interested. It's worth dropping it in to conversation, and then taking cues from the other person. If they yawn and their eyes glaze then you know your answer ;)
Good point about taking cues! My friends that are into biology seem really interested but I'll be on the look out for their eyes glazing over :p

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You were only diagnosed last November as a teenager and so it is a big challenge in your life and quite normal to talk about it.
You will find that it gradually becomes part of your life and there will be no need to explain unless someone asks.
Thank you for understanding that it's a big deal to me. I think a lot of people just see me test and inject at school once a day and think that that's all there is to it.

Reactions: 11 people