Growing fears over injections

Tinkleberry

I was only diagnosed with type 1 a little over two months ago and I've been doing well so far with my daily insulin injections and finger pricks. However over the last week or two I'm finding I'm becoming more and more hesitant to give myself my insulin jabs. I've no idea why but it can take me a good 10/15 minutes of trying before doing it. It's like I have a mental block and my hand just won't do it. Not sure why as only the odd one stings but it's becoming an problem.

Has anybody else had this issue and overcome it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Tinkleberry Unfortunately it's one of those things that the more you think about it, the more of an issue it will become, I have to admit at one stage I found myself also lingering a while before finally jabbing, what got me through this was using a distraction technique, so hum your favourite tune, pinch an inch and look at something like a clock and do it to the count of 10 and it's done. Many others also experience similar and I work with a guy recently diagnosed lada who has had to overcome his fear of injections to cope with this, he's got through it now and so will you but try a different approach and it will help, also is your insulin room temperature when you inject ?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only add that the more I do my stomach injections the less they hurt to the point after 5 years the skin in that area is numb to injections so I don't have that fear any more. Perhaps the same will happen with you after you do overcome the current fear - not easy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 20 year old daughter has always had a dreadful needle phobia and I had to inject her for 15 years as she couldn’t do it to herself.
In 2017 we discovered Insujet Jet Injectors which force the insulin through the skin with NO needle. They are available on the NHS.
It has completely changed her life as she can now be independent and no needles to change (and no issues at airport security).

Tinkleberry

Thank you both!! I'm trying to distract myself but it's something I'm really struggling with. Yes insulin is at room temp and once it's done it's fine it's just the big lead up that making me super nervous I'm hoping it's a blip!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was only diagnosed with type 1 a little over two months ago and I've been doing well so far with my daily insulin injections and finger pricks. However over the last week or two I'm finding I'm becoming more and more hesitant to give myself my insulin jabs. I've no idea why but it can take me a good 10/15 minutes of trying before doing it. It's like I have a mental block and my hand just won't do it. Not sure why as only the odd one stings but it's becoming an problem.

I inject into my butt, there's a strip of muscle there and you don't feel the injection. Hang in there, it's part of your new life and it will get easier. I've been injecting for 40 years and I'm fit and healthy. Try to think positively, having T1 won't stop you doing most things you can imagine doing x

Reactions: Tinkleberry

Stanbu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problem, I hate needles! I found tickleflex which hides the needle and all you have to do is push. It has transformed my ability to inject myself. tickleflex.com

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can completely empathise! I have been injecting for almost exactly the same amount of time. Rationally I know the quicker I inject, the faster it is all over, also I know it doesn't hurt.....there is just something almost mesmerising about looking at that needle that leads me to hesitate and then go in unnecessarily slowly. I am also prone to bruising and am sure that makes it worse. I am not sure if I read somewhere about injecting to the beat while singing a favourite song? Think I might give that a go, maybe starting with Bee Gees "Staying Alive" - not only true of insulin, always makes me laugh thinking about my favourite episode of the American Office :)

Good luck x

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Hi. I had the same thing (years ago now), I think about a month after diagnosis. It was as if my hand had a mind of its own- no problem up to then. I ended up going to A&E where a brilliant nurse got me past it by sticking a (new) needle in her own arm and saying “if I can, you can”. (Don’t think it would be allowed these days!) I also changed the site - I’d been trying to use my stomach and I think that set it off... I have not had that problem since. (Needles are better these days too and pens less scarey than glass syringes - that helps.) I can still remember what it felt like and sympathise with what you’re going through. I thought I was the only one but you really are not alone! Others have given good advice which I won’t repeat, but keep going - it does get easier.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can completely empathise! I have been injecting for almost exactly the same amount of time. Rationally I know the quicker I inject, the faster it is all over, also I know it doesn't hurt.....there is just something almost mesmerising about looking at that needle that leads me to hesitate and then go in unnecessarily slowly. I am also prone to bruising and am sure that makes it worse. I am not sure if I read somewhere about injecting to the beat while singing a favourite song? Think I might give that a go, maybe starting with Bee Gees "Staying Alive" - not only true of insulin, always makes me laugh thinking about my favourite episode of the American Office :)

Good luck x

Maybe a song that's a bit slower.....:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tinkleberry . Welcome to the forum.
I was diagnosed along while ago and I can still remember exactly going through what you are currently experiencing.
Old style syringes, but took to it like a duck to water for the first few weeks. Then BANG I couldn’t or really struggled to do the injection.
I’d have to put the syringe down, walk away and then return and try again.
Sometimes would get to within a few mm’s of skin and then just stop. It was like an invisible barrier.
I think the reality of what I was actually doing hit home, along with the novelty of injecting myself wearing off.
I guess the whole episode lasted a few months, some days no problems, some days a nightmare.
One thing I found was that the longer I thought about having to inject the more difficult it was.
You can inject, you need to inject. Get this in your head and only recall it at the last moment.
You’ll overcome this and you’ll be fine.
A few weeks/ months and you’ll be showing people how you do it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was diagnosed along while ago and I can still remember exactly going through what you are currently experiencing.
Me too. I was 8 and apparently a real trooper at the hospital, went straight to injections without even bothering with oranges (they taught people to inject by practicing with oranges). But after a few months I just found it too difficult - my T1 Mum took over for a few days/weeks and then I was fine.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Tinkleberry
I have been injecting for 3 decades. When I was diagnosed my mum was concerned because I hated blood, well, anything medical as it made me feel ill and my stomach turned ( my sister would be the first one on the scene of an accident and get involved, not squeamish and nursing runs through my family) but in the hospital I had to inject in front of a Dr and a nurse. So in my case, alone with 2 children, I just got on with it, a bit of mind over matter.
Hopefully it is just a blip, you could try and find some coping mechanism's that will help, even counting to ten and taking relaxing deep breaths, could help, humming a tune, also yoga is very calming and relaxing too.
Good luck :)

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey twinkle let me message u

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sent u pm tinkleberry

eshobabu

My 20 year old daughter has always had a dreadful needle phobia and I had to inject her for 15 years as she couldn’t do it to herself.
In 2017 we discovered Insujet Jet Injectors which force the insulin through the skin with NO needle. They are available on the NHS.
It has completely changed her life as she can now be independent and no needles to change (and no issues at airport security).

I have a 6 yr old who is struggling with needles too - I contacted insujet - although they are no longer on the NHS, they told me they wont ship to the US, and their minimum dosage is 5 units. We need between 0.5 to 2 units usually, so its no go for us. Have you found any other options? I ordered this comfort-in thing but they wont answer my questions about if it would be possible to administer 0.5-2 units. I guess we will find out when I get it next week.

eshobabu

I had the same problem, I hate needles! I found tickleflex which hides the needle and all you have to do is push. It has transformed my ability to inject myself. tickleflex.com
Thanks for this - I just ordered it - it takes 2 weeks to get here, hopefully this will help my daughter - let me know if there is anything else you have found that helps - she is a trooper, but I can sense her fear everytime. Its amazing how small incremental improvements like this can make life so much easier. The finger pricking process used to scare her so much until we got genteel - god bless the creators of that thing - she now has absolutely no fear of finger pricking and wants to do it even though there is no need because we have the dexcom!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I agree with @Lynne C J. Butt is best, and out of sight. My belly has always been too painful and too easy to view the injection, which is offputting.