Hair loss for a woman

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had thick hair but I cant ignore this any longer. For the past 3 months or so everytime I wash or brush my hair it comes out in handfuls. Drying with a hairdryer and brushing is particularly bad. I can now feel a very slim ponytail compared to what is normal. I researched on Google. I dont have iron deficiency or thyroid problems. Apparently there is a condition called Telogen Effluvium which is linked to very low carb/keto diet. Hair goes in a resting stage (as opposed to continuous growth and renewal). It doesnt happen to everyone and kicks in 3-6 months after changing diet. It usually but not always only lasts a few months. Suggestions are to eat enough protein and supplement with biotin (raises BG not suitable for diabetics), zinc, collagen (bone broth good) and MSM.
Anyone else had this?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had thick hair but I cant ignore this any longer. For the past 3 months or so everytime I wash or brush my hair it comes out in handfuls. Drying with a hairdryer and brushing is particularly bad. I can now feel a very slim ponytail compared to what is normal. I researched on Google. I dont have iron deficiency or thyroid problems. Apparently there is a condition called Telogen Effluvium which is linked to very low carb/keto diet. Hair goes in a resting stage (as opposed to continuous growth and renewal). It doesnt happen to everyone and kicks in 3-6 months after changing diet. It usually but not always only lasts a few months. Suggestions are to eat enough protein and supplement with biotin (raises BG not suitable for diabetics), zinc, collagen (bone broth good) and MSM.
Anyone else had this?
Oh...! So that's what's happening to my hair! I thought it was my thyroid, but a change in meds didn't improve anything. Lightbulb moment here. No idea when it'll pass then... But good to read it is supposed to!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, me too. My hair was always thin/fine anyway. I tend to lose some when I am on Metformin but it is worse since going keto too.

Reactions: kitedoc

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Biotin can be gained from Keto friendly foods according to this
https://www.perfectketo.com/keto-hair-loss/
I already eat all those foods constantly but I dont think it is enough. I think I am going to buy Solgar MSM capsules (sulphur mineral) because they dont contain carbs and the collagen might also help my joint inflammation flare ups. There are others like Viviscal just for hair but they are hugely carby due to Biotin and cost the earth. I will give the MSM till Christmas and will report progress. Good luck girls let me know if you have any other ideas.

Reactions: Flora123 and zand

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken another look at Biotin and though I did read one discouraging mention yesterday I now cant find anything to support this so since it is the vitamin that is closely linked with hair and skin it might be ok. More research required I think.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @PenguinMum Yes i'm losing more than usual amounts since about a month ago, having a blood test this week to check thyroid as i'm already taking levothyroxine in case it needs adjusting. I don't do keto although low carb but not enough to warrant deficiencies of any kind, just hoping to get to the bottom of it :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi penguinmum.
I was diagnosed Type 2 in May ‘17, I noticed my hair was falling out much quicker than before a few months after diagnosis and eating low carb. Like you I noticed my standard ponytail bands were going round four times instead of two :wideyed:
I feel my hair has stabilised now and I’m no longer losing excessive amounts, it’s back to a middle ground of bands going round three times. I didn’t take any specific action but do happen to eat the majority of the foods listed in the article quoted by Flora123

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum

I have hair loss too, I do LCHF rather than keto and mine seems to be better since I upped the protein I'm eating a bit.

I think it was triggered by a combination of (some) calorie restriction which lowered protein and stomach medication (omeprazole) which I had to take for three months (this can affect how some nutrients are absorbed). Plus my metabolism is already damaged from years of yoyo dieting which means my BMR is quite low.

As we get older we don't metabolise protein as well and the combination of that and the medication had my already fine hair falling out quickly :( apparently biological shocks can short circuit the normal lifespan of hair.
Good news is that it seems to be recovering slowly :)

Reactions: zand

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have very thick hair, but noticed it had started falling out several years before I was ever diagnosed with T2. I believe it was caused partly by old age but mainly by a lack of protein - my husband had taken over shopping and cooking after he took early retirement and our diet was often low protein and, later, very high carb. I now do my own low carb buying and cooking, but it's made no difference to my hair loss - and I do and probably have always for the most part eaten keto/low carb friendly foods. So just on five years of very low carb hasn't made any difference as far as I can see !:banghead:

Robbity

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Yes, me too... Always had very fine hair but |I'm havingtrouble disguising the thin patches now. Would like some wigs in outrageous colours. That would give the people that know my out- in- the -world self a shock...

Reactions: geefull

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Helen. I have started needle felting and he is Elvis my first born.
A bit off topic, but I hadn't realised little pengie was hand made! I've seen some great demos on needle felting on craft TV, and am slightly amazed that poking loose stuff together actually retains its new shape. I'd considered giving it a go, but with my wonky hand I think I'd be stabbing myself to death instead of creating cute little creatures...

And to get back on topic I probably lose enough hair to create a whole flock of tiny penguins...:eek:

Robbity

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m having this issue too, been keto since January. Thin, fine hair is really showing some gaps now, and I lose a scary amount when I brush. I have an extensive hat and wig collection! I’ve just started thyroid treatment, although I’m just abouvevthe threshold, I have many of the symptoms of underavtivity. I also take biotin and try to get 90g protein a day; I’m hoping all this will start to show improvements soon. Perhaps I need to find a vegetarian alternative to bone broth and collagen too.

Edit - I like needle felting too :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All very interesting responses. It seems this is wider spread than I imagined. Today I bought a bottle of Solgar Biotin capsules 5000 and will see if that helps while at the same time making sure my protein intake is enough. As mentioned above I may not be metabolising protein efficiently. Really hope my hair improves though.
Thanks for the comments re Elvis the pengie. @Robbity you soon learn not to stab yourself too much lol we do that every day anyway! Its quite theraputic but I am not very good at it yet. Bet @Mel dCP is ace.