Have You Watched Ted Naiman's New Presentation, "too Much Protein Is Better Than Too Little" Yet?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you may have your answer right there. Of all the macros, protein seems to be self-limiting (unless deliberately distorted by swallowing liquid protein shakes) and almost impossible to over-eat. I remember listening to an interview with protein researcher, Dr Donald Layman very early on in my diagnosis - his advice is to eat a minimum of 30g protein at each meal. Seems to have worked pretty well for me, so I've tried to follow the advice by making protein the main focus of my meals. I even tend to eat the protein first - I think it stops me over-eating other things.

Yes Indy51 I also am eating protein at the beginning of the meal. I think because I enjoy it so much and like to save it for last. But I heard that it's better to eat it first because it's harder to digest. Now that I've made that change, erhaps that's why my glucose levels are better? Who knows. I really appreciate your analysis paralysis comment. I know that was a real struggle for me during the first couple of years on the LCHF diet.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that is very much a matter of where they lived. For people near the equator, it's probably accurate. Not so sure about Ice Age Europeans though.

Yes, of course, you're right. And that's what makes the process of finding the right diet so challenging. I think I know what works best for me now, particularly now that I've returned to eating the amount of protein I ate prior to starting LCHF more than 3 years ago. All my health markers improved on LCHF. Now that I'ver resumed eating what I believe to be the right amount of protein, I'm hoping I'll see additional improvements.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you're seeing improvements - good news for you, @Winnie53 :)

I love all the sciencey stuff - hence the embarrassingly large number of videos and podcasts I post - but I know it can muddy the waters for people who are maybe just starting on their journeys.

Have you ever watched Anne Childers "Stone Age Body, Space Age Mind"? - it's a good one if you haven't already seen it.

Knowing my ancestry (British/NW European), I'm even less worried about fibre now - especially as it's always been an issue for me, despite the microbiome gurus telling me how wondrous it is. From watching that reality show 10,000BC (where they put people in the midst of a Bulgarian forest in the dead of winter), seems apart from cattails, there were few sources of starch and fibre from berries, nuts and some greens around for my ancestors to munch on.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Indy51, I have seen it. Need to re-watch it. I watch so much I fear what I've previously learned is constantly displaced. And keep those links coming. I learn all the time from you. :)

Oh, here's a YouTube link to Stone Age Body, Space Age Mind...

Reactions: Indy51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 you weigh what I weighed in high school and I'm 5" shorter. What guidance has our more seasoned forum members offered you?

By the way, what is AF? Atrial fibrillation or something else?

I'm a fan of Bernstein too. :)
Hello Winnie, good to meet another admirer of Dr B. There are quite a lot of us here, particularly T1s.

Yes, AF = atrial fibrillation. I take Flecainide to prevent incidents, and I haven't had one since last November. That one was by far my worst ever, lasting 15 days, no fun.

I do realise I am too thin. I am eating as much protein and fat as I can get down me, and also doing weight training to build up muscle. Unfortunately I have to eat as few carbs as possible to keep my bg down, so I don't see what else anyone can suggest. According to Jenny Ruhl, it is very hard to gain weight on a VLC diet, but maybe I can at least not lose any more. In the end things may be resolved if my insulin production declines still further and I begin using insulin.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, of course, you're right. And that's what makes the process of finding the right diet so challenging. I think I know what works best for me now, particularly now that I've returned to eating the amount of protein I ate prior to starting LCHF more than 3 years ago. All my health markers improved on LCHF. Now that I'ver resumed eating what I believe to be the right amount of protein, I'm hoping I'll see additional improvements.
I find it challenging to find the right diet too. I struggle with protein because I don't like eggs, pork or lamb. I am not overly keen on fish, beef or chicken either but eat it. My diet gets a bit boring tbh and I have gone off bacon having had a lot of it in my early days of low carbing. I really need to have more plant based proteins in my diet but haven't got around to sorting that out yet. :rolleyes: I tend to eat protein first in meal simply to get it over with and out of the way because I don't like it much lol.

Reactions: Winnie53

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it challenging to find the right diet too. I struggle with protein because I don't like eggs, pork or lamb. I am not overly keen on fish, beef or chicken either but eat it. My diet gets a bit boring tbh and I have gone off bacon having had a lot of it in my early days of low carbing. I really need to have more plant based proteins in my diet but haven't got around to sorting that out yet. :rolleyes: I tend to eat protein first in meal simply to get it over with and out of the way because I don't like it much lol.
You might be one person for whom drinking protein might be an advantage, if you dislike so many of the real foods. Whey protein (if you're not allergic) might be a good option - pretty sure you can get low carb whey protein shakes. If not whey, there are other alternatives.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be one person for whom drinking protein might be an advantage, if you dislike so many of the real foods. Whey protein (if you're not allergic) might be a good option - pretty sure you can get low carb whey protein shakes. If not whey, there are other alternatives.
Now why didn't I think of that??!!! Thank you. I tend to see whey protein as wacky body building stuff, but you're right it might well suit me :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand my best friend is much the same way, though she does love eggs, mayonnaise, and cheese. She sometimes eats chicken, fish even less frequently. It's a struggle for her too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand my best friend is much the same way, though she does love eggs, mayonnaise, and cheese. She sometimes eats chicken, fish even less frequently. It's a struggle for her too.
I love cheese but I do have a mild dairy intolerance. This doesn't bother me too much except I tend to just have goats dairy when during the 2 months before my diabetic bloods are done. I have noticed my body produces more cholesterol to deal with the inflammation etc caused by cow's dairy, so my doc moans less about cholesterol if I don't have cow's dairy before my tests lol.

Thanks for understanding :)

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Winnie, good to meet another admirer of Dr B. There are quite a lot of us here, particularly T1s.

Yes, AF = atrial fibrillation. I take Flecainide to prevent incidents, and I haven't had one since last November. That one was by far my worst ever, lasting 15 days, no fun.

I do realise I am too thin. I am eating as much protein and fat as I can get down me, and also doing weight training to build up muscle. Unfortunately I have to eat as few carbs as possible to keep my bg down, so I don't see what else anyone can suggest. According to Jenny Ruhl, it is very hard to gain weight on a VLC diet, but maybe I can at least not lose any more. In the end things may be resolved if my insulin production declines still further and I begin using insulin.

My husband has that condition too, for a bit more than 15 years now. He takes lots of magnesium for it. 15 days is a long time. You must have been exhausted.

Nothing you've described so far sounds like developing LADA to me. A hyperthyroid or subclinical hyperthyroid condition seems more likely. I have the latter. Probably have had it most of my life. Has any of your healthcare providers explored this with you? None of my doctors picked up on it because it never occurred to them to test my thyroid. My endocrinologist did when I was referred to her after I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Hyperthyroid conditions aren't very common. Almost everything you see online is referring to hypothyroid conditions. Have you always been underweight or has this happened more recently?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those protein shakes come in a whole variety of types of protein, I think I have seen egg, soy, whey, pea and hemp.
Since soy and whey don’t agree with me, I tried the others (during my low carb baking phase). Interesting results with the baking, and one batch of ‘bread’ was swamp green. :D

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perfect timing for both of us, @Winnie53 - latest posting from Low Carb Down Under:

Dr. Paul Mason - 'From fibre to the microbiome: low carb gut health':

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
I'd be cautious. Certainly not good for your kidneys.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be cautious. Certainly not good for your kidneys.

@Roseanne01, you're not alone. Many believe as you do. I think to some degree I did too.

It's been my experience that carbohydrates in the form of processed foods and beverages, and industrial seed oils is the real problem. Well, that and specific medications.

I encourage you to listen to Dr. Ted Naiman's 2018 presentation on Diet Doctor. He provides a lot of hard science. Plan on using the pause button throughout his lecture. It's a lot to absorb. Look at every slide. I had to listen to all of his lectures within the last two years over a period of days to begin to "get" what he's sharing.

I think it important to point out that he's been educating his patients on this diet for 20 years. That's a lot of clinical experience.

I think if you read the post where I share what I actually eat in a day to get 92 g protein, you'll be surprised. It sounds like a lot of protein, but it's really not. In fact, it's what I ate as a kid, and I was quite healthy until my mother started bringing beverages like Tang, and Kool-Aid, and Coca-Cola into our home. ;)

Welcome to the forum. I've learned lots here. Stick around. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, going to listen to it now. Thank you!

Interesting, particularly the information he provided on constipation, but I had problems with a lot of what he had to say.

He made three statements:

1. Fiber is not a necessity for a healthy diet
2. There are some low carbohydrate foods which commonly cause bloating and other symptoms, and we can identify these and improve gut symptoms on a low carbohydrate diet.
3. There's simply not enough evidence that altering our gut bacteria can lead to weight loss.

I've wondered for some time how the microbes in the microbiome are fed and nourished on an animal protein and fat diet only. He didn't address this question. He simply said that ketones better supply the cells that form the barrier between what's in our colon and what's in our blood.

He totally lost me on the non-celiac gluten sensitivity isn't a gluten problem, it's a fructan problem - (one of the FODMAP types of foods). Well, I have NCGS, experienced bloating until I gave up gluten, and I eat most of the fructan foods he listed and experience no bloating. I really am frustrated with the Australian's about their argument that NCGS is not due to gluten, it's due to one or more of the FODMAP foods. In my mind you can have one or the other or both.

Also, initially he talked about inflammatory bowel disease, then as soon as he began talking about FODMAP, he switched to irritable bowel syndrome. They are very different conditions. I have IBD and have never had IBS symptoms.

As for the weight loss discussion, we know the low carb diet helps many lose weight, but the problem with fecal transplants is to sustain the benefits, I'm going to speculate that you have to know what to eat to keep the desirable microbes fed and happy.

There was a gem in there though. What was the ingredient used in foods like ice cream that was introduced in early 2000? Could it really be cause of the increase of C. diff infections? I need to go back and hear what that ingredient is. [Found it. At minute 21:12 he begins discussing this study or article, Dietary trehalose enhances virulence of epidemic Clostridium difficile". And here's an article that explains when it's important to avoid eating foods that contain trehalose... https://bottomlineinc.com/health/diet-nutrition/how-trehalose-turns-ice-cream-deadly ]

Quote from article:

For most people most of the time, there’s no need to avoid foods containing trehalose. Under normal circumstances, helpful bacteria in your gut outcompete C. diff, preventing illness.

But a great danger exists when you have a serious infection treated with
“broad-spectrum” antibiotics, especially the kind that is serious enough to land you in the hospital. Those antibiotics wipe out helpful gut bacteria. Take action: Read ingredients lists on all packaged foods you eat, and avoid any that include trehalose while you are taking such antibiotics and for several weeks afterward. And avoid trehalose if you have or have recently recovered from a C. diff infection.

I was most interested in his first statement. Managing constipation is important for health, but that's not the only reason I eat nutritionally dense, fiber rich plant foods.

I also find it amusing that I only have problems with constipation ON the LCHF/Keto diet! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't take magnesium daily. :)

Fiber and the microbiome is a subject that I'm intensely interested in. If you come across more, please share them. Complaints aside, I really did like the first part of his three part presentation. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
@Roseanne01, you're not alone. Many believe as you do. I think to some degree I did too.

It's been my experience that carbohydrates in the form of processed foods and beverages, and industrial seed oils is the real problem. Well, that and specific medications.

I encourage you to listen to Dr. Ted Naiman's 2018 presentation on Diet Doctor. He provides a lot of hard science. Plan on using the pause button throughout his lecture. It's a lot to absorb. Look at every slide. I had to listen to all of his lectures within the last two years over a period of days to begin to "get" what he's sharing.

I think it important to point out that he's been educating his patients on this diet for 20 years. That's a lot of clinical experience.

I think if you read the post where I share what I actually eat in a day to get 92 g protein, you'll be surprised. It sounds like a lot of protein, but it's really not. In fact, it's what I ate as a kid, and I was quite healthy until my mother started bringing beverages like Tang, and Kool-Aid, and Coca-Cola into our home. ;)

Welcome to the forum. I've learned lots here. Stick around. :)
I have Stage 4 kidney disease.and um not likely to take risks. Low carb high fat makes me really really ill. And high protein and processed meat would be a huge risk. I still might look though.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Stage 4 kidney disease.and um not likely to take risks. Low carb high fat makes me really really ill. And high protein and processed meat would be a huge risk. I still might look though.
Try low carb/enough fat? You don't need to go really high fat if you don't want to do so. I agree that extra protein would be a risk for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He totally lost me on the non-celiac gluten sensitivity isn't a gluten problem, it's a fructan problem - (one of the FODMAP types of foods). Well, I have NCGS, experienced bloating until I gave up gluten, and I eat most of the fructan foods he listed and experience no bloating.
I think thats the part of the non-gluten sensitivity.. its not only gluten that you could be sensitive too. You obviously are sensitive to gluten so cutting it has helped you.. others, I took him to mean, may be sensitive to fructan instead so by cutting that can get the benefits. Probably even better to reduce all carbs as much as possible and avoid both gluten and fructan which is fine if fibre is non essential.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Roseanne01 you're right. Canadian nephrologist Jason Fung states that those with stage 3, 4, 5 chronic kidney disease should not eat a high protein diet. Avoiding eating foods with AGEs is important too. No more burnt bacon for my husband.

I think you're wise to avoid all processed foods.

I have a friend in stage 4. We're really having a hard time sorting this out because the minimum amount of protein that humans need is not known. The recommendation of 0.6 g protein per kg of lean mass weight is a guess. (This would be 27 g protein for me).

There's some speculation that protein from plants is less of a problem. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. What makes this journey so difficult is all the conflicting information about diet.

Last edited: