1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBa1C Results!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by NewTD2, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I learned from the many other role models here!

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Well done on the HbA1c result. NewTD2, but please do keep a very close eye on things, and don't ignore any unexpected changes you have.

Those diabetics with T1 (or T1.5 etc.), can find their pancreas will still produce insulin, during a honeymoon phase, which can last some time. Some feel LC eating can, with luck, improve or prolong a honeymoon pereioid, but at some point the insulin production just can't cope any more.

I do hope this is a unwarranted warning for you, but I felt it needed to be said.

Again, well done on your result.

3. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thank you!

4. NewTD2

What advice can you give me to push my HBA1C further down and as close as possible to “normal” levels based on your experience?

5. Rachox

Staff Member

I can only tell you what I did, I don’t use Insulin so I think you may need to be more careful with lowering carbs. I’m just on Metformin. On the very day I was diagnosed (from a routine annual blood test!) I found this Forum and I started a low carb diet, first I was on <100g/day, that and the gradual increase of Metformin dose got my levels decreasing slowly but surely. All the while I tested on waking, before and 2 hours after meals and at bedtime. I record all my food, carb counts and blood glucose readings on spreadsheets and phone apps, a bit nerdy I know but I love number crunching! I soon learned which foods suited me and cut down or eliminated completely things that made my sugars go too high. I also learnt that my levels start to rise as soon as I get up in the morning until I eat. So now I always have breakfast as soon as I get up, getting dressed and showering have to wait til after I’ve eaten now. After six weeks my levels plateaued in the sixes with occasional sevens, so I lowered my carb intake to between 50 - 70g/day and that’s where I’ve stayed ever since. My readings are normally in the 5s with occasional 4s or 6s. I’m happy where I am, my last HbA1c on 7th Dec was 33! That is well below prediabetic and having had a chest infection this last week which put my numbers up a little, I’ve realised my very low HbA1c gives me a margin for error which means my levels should still stay within the acceptable range even if I’m ill etc. I have also rediscovered my love of cooking! I have a freezer drawer full of low carb treats ready for Christmas so I don’t undo my good work by overindulging. My diabetes diagnosis was the big kick up the bum I needed to get healthier, I didn’t realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better! I’ve also lost 4 1/2 stone in weight without even trying!
    I hope that helps you :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #45 Rachox, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. NewTD2

Thank you for this. You are just amazing!
    Could you please share your typical breakfast, lunch, dinner including snacks?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Rachox

Staff Member

Ok, today I had:
    Breakfast: low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and double cream (https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge) with black coffee.
    Lunch: some chorizo sausage with raw cauliflower and brocolli with mayo then Greek yoghurt and berries, sugar free squash to drink.
    Afternoon snack: chocolate chia pudding, my own recipe! (Mix together one bottle of natural Benecol, 4 teaspoons of chia seeds, 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons of sugar free maple syrup, leave in the fridge overnight) and a black coffee.
    Dinner: Chinese chicken stir fry, just veggies, bean sprouts, chicken and a tiny amount of Tesco chinese stir fry sauce, followed by strawberries and cream and a low carb lemon shortbread (https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/) Diet Pepsi to drink.
    Bedtime: 25g of mixed nuts and a ‘milk’shake made with unsweetened roasted almond milk with sugar free Crusha.
    Total for today: 49.5g carbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Wow such a great result ! ️congratulations

9. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Yes you are still diabetic. Unless of cause you can again eat loads of carbs and still keep non diabetic levels

10. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wonderful results, @NewTD2. Really well done. Congratulations.

11. NewTD2

Very nice!

12. NewTD2

Thank you!

13. NewTD2

Thank you Freema!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whatever the outcome of the analysis I will be happy
    Why ?

Because if the result is high I will have discovered a problem to fix it.
    If the result is good I will also be happy

Mostly I'll be better off than I was before

This is also an achievement
    I know that you should not rely on these measurements
    [​IMG]

#54 HICHAM_T2, Dec 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  15. cpraj

cpraj · Newbie

Great mate. I was in pretty much the same situation. I was initially diagnosed with T2 with Hba1c of 8.6% (71), then through low carb and regular walks i got it down to 6.3% (~45) in the span of 2.5months.

So yes T2 diabetics its possible. If i can do it everyone else can :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

Hello All.. I tested my last HBA1c in July which was 7.0 ( 53) .. i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and delivered in April but diabetes was converted to type 2.. after reading this forum I am occasionally on LCHF diet.. already lost 19kgs.. post pregnancy in 6 months .. I have given my blood today for HBA1c .. hoping for best .. I have not followed a strict diet as I am still breast feeding but still tried my best .. keeping my fingers crossed .. will come to know the result tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope you get the result you would like. Best wishes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Reemap

Hello All, got my result HBA1c is 4.2... I am so happy

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Great result @Reemap, well done! :)

20. Reemap

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook