HBAC1 levels and stress

HenryW

Can stress affect your HBAc1 levels?

Brief History;

June 2011. 1x 500MG slow release Metformin once a day. HBAC1 levels. 5.0

October 2011. HBAC1 levels 6.7 Dr increased Metformin to 2 x 850mg Metformin twice a day.

November 2011 (today 14th November) HBAc1 level 6.9. Told to continue 2 x 850mg Metformin twice a day and come back mid December for another test.

In June my GP informed me he was so pleased with my progress that he was considering taking me off the Metformin altogether. Since August, despite staying on same diet as I have been for last 4 years, and losing another 7lbs in weight in the same time period, August 11- present, everything has gone pear-shaped.

In May my wife told me she was moving out and eventually did so in November. This is obviously causing me a great deal of distress and heartache. But can this be the cause of my deteriorating HBAc's?

Am getting very worried that having got down to 5.0, am back up to 6.9, the highest I have been since being diagnosed 4 years ago, and despite having got my weight down from 18st -7lbs to a now relatively trim 14st dead, 7lbs of which has been lost in the last 3 months, the numbers are all going in the wrong direction.

BP 125/60 has been since year dot. Heart rate 55. Cholesterol 3.9.

Please, can anyone confirm that stress affects HBAcs?

Henry

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi henryw.
Am so sorry to hear of your worry and concerns, you have been through a lot recently.
Stress can and does drive the blood sugar levels UP , am unsure about the HbA1c results - though they do give a collective result of the last 10weeks of your levels.
Your stress and emotional trauma with your personal life is bound to have impacted here!
Your life has changed and will have some impact on your health and sense of well being too.
As a huge change in your life takes place its to be expected you will need time to cope and adapt to the changes .
Plus the weight loss can be stress and trauma related in your recent situation.
Have you thought about visting your GP and chatting about your worries and concerns?
Am sure he/she would understand and advise you well .
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D

israr

for sure stress raise blood sugar level. i m suffering same problem. when i m relaxed no matter what i eat my bg level remain low but when i m stressed my bg go up a lot. try to relax and check again. good luck

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time Henry :(

Stress is certainly one of the main factors in making my sugars rise. I had had an incredibly stressful few months at work and then went on holiday to Australia where I didn't stop and had a stroke on a flight between Sydney and Hong Kong, the final straw being stress because I hate flying.

Since I've been testing my bloods every day I have learned that stress impacts on my blood levels. Even low level stress seems to cause a blip.

A doctor I used to work for taught me self-hypnosis and I use that to relax myself.