Help..Getting bored with veg and dairy

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well I have been eating a low carb diet for around 6 weeks now. I really am starting to crave a potato..even if it is just a sweet potato. I have done the mashed cauliflower and Celeriac thing and now seem to be craving some rice, couscous or quinoa. I eat a variety of veg and eat dairy, meat etc but missing my grains : ( I have not given in though lol. Does anybody else get bored with their diet?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Not yet. I have a grilled ribeye for dinner almost every night.

Reactions: saky

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 10 years into this and still get occasional carb cravings. Some things trigger it; tomatoes, apples and nuts. Are you eating triggers or not enough fat?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I'm not bored. Who could get bored of steak, salmon, strawberries and cream, bacon and eggs. I'm over 3 years down the line now and still enjoying my food. However, I do eat to my meter, and that has told me I can manage 2 small new potatoes with butter on, or 6 to 8 homemade chips. I cannot manage normal or wholemeal bread at all. I am not a rice or pasta lover so they don't bother me, and I don't have a sweet tooth at all..

Have you got a Lidl near you? You may find the high protein rolls satisfy any urge for bread and toast.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have to stick to same foods and no I dont get bored. Frustrated yes!! However, i know if I eat wrong foods I'll pay for it in pain so guess I put up with it.
Still find interesting ways to have broccoli everyday, and courgette but because I need as much mushy veg as possible I do have parsnip, bnut squash, swede.
Even my sauces if I do them are variations on a theme as I'm not allowed onion or tomato or meat due to stomach/colon probs.
Only meat I can eat is corned beef so Hubby does a great corned beef hash of mushy veg... have a great crustless broccoli quiche, good variation of fish pie (just with veg in a pesto/cheese sauce).

I realised that my thoughts ref food are only about 5 seconds after looking at if I or hubby distract my thoughts away... so its finally getting less frustration with myself although for me it will always play some annoyance at times with myself.. not boredom though..

Reactions: saky

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try making two or even three different shopping lists and set out different things on each one - mushrooms on one, tomatoes on another maybe courgettes on the third - perhaps have beef with the mushrooms chicken with the courgettes - to devise a weeks worth of meals - perhaps have coleslaw with salads on one list, but use oil and vinegar another week and mayonnaise the third - it really makes a big difference to reduce the short term variety to some extent in order to create a diet which is easier to stick to in the long run.

• Useful
Reactions: SlimLizzy

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, I get bored. I used to be whole-grains vegan style and I miss my old comfort foods. But, they make me sick, so here I am with my daily salads and no breads. *shrug* It is what it is. I try not to slip up, because I feel physically awful when I do. Finding new spices helps, when I stumble on new good recipes. Assuming you cook, see what you can do for exploring a new type of cuisine, perhaps?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really? love to know where you got that from..
Saturated fats do make me insulin resistant. Sad as it is. But I do still eat them. Just don't shovel them.
I'm 10 years into this and still get occasional carb cravings. Some things trigger it; tomatoes, apples and nuts. Are you eating triggers or not enough fat?
I have triggers too. Peanuts and almonds !! Just can't stop and though I like them I like other foods just as much. They make me ravenous.

Reactions: col101

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s well know comman knowledge these days that high amounts of animal fat increases insulin resistance. I’m surprised you don’t know about it. Google it, lots of research on the subject. I’ve been covering this on the radio with Dr Ing.

I would try going plant based for a while and see what a difference it makes to your health too in helping to reverse diabetes not just control.
I would like to give you lots of awards. I switched from a highER sat fat diet to plant based and what a difference!! On lots of fronts. Sat fats stay around forever. Plant fats do their thing for satiention as well as keeping bs low and slow. Bs does come back down and sat fats linger for hours.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s well know comman knowledge these days that high amounts of animal fat increases insulin resistance.

Sorry disagree.. there are a couple of studies that show an "association" and loads of pro-vegetarian and pro-vegan sites that make this claim with no proof. If you want to eat a plant based diet then go for it .. just be aware of how many ex-vegans seem to populate the zero carb world where no plant based food is eaten and claim far greater health benefits.. just saying..

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry disagree.. there are a couple of studies that show an "association" and loads of pro-vegetarian and pro-vegan sites that make this claim with no proof. If you want to eat a plant based diet then go for it .. just be aware of how many ex-vegans seem to populate the zero carb world where no plant based food is eaten and claim far greater health benefits.. just saying..
You ask @phonic2k for proof of his claims, yet your claims are based on pro-carnist anecdotes. Just saying.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

And I think we've had this conversation before. Veganism is not a diet. Plant based eating is a diet. Big difference when you are bandying the word around.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree on the saturated fat causing insulin resistance part. Although slightly different being T1, if I eat too much saturated fat I always develop temporary insulin resistance. The evidence is blinding through my CGM trends, if I have a high fat meal in the evening, my BG climbs and climbs during the night. If I don't, it remains fairly steady (minus my DP and waking rise issues). The same phenomenon is apparent if I eat a high fat lunch, although I'm very active so the impact isn't as severe.

For those who deny claims that excessive fat causes insulin resistance and follow a carb deficient diet; I'd like to ask them how they can be so sure? If their carb intake in extremely low, how is the element of insulin resistance supposed to be gauged? Fasting BG is only part of the story, and along with HbA1c is not a definitive marker - as the absence of carbs absolutely sways the results. Unless OGTT results demonstrate better insulin sensitivity, or special tests show improvement in the body's ability to store converted glucose efficiently - it's purely speculative opinion.

There is a very good documentary called Forks Over Knives, which can be streamed on Netflix for those interested. It explores the alleged link between animal fat, diabetes and insulin resistance. I can't vouch for the credibility of the Doctors/medical professionals therein - but there seems to be plenty of them singing the same song...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do get a bit worried when I see such emphatic claims - such as people who are controlling their diabetes by eating low carb have to cut out all fruit and vegetables.
Just to throw a fact into the mix - the fat from animals is not all saturated, by a long way. The total fat in chicken is fourteen percent, the saturated fat is four percent.
Eating a plantless diet is a real solution for some and it appears to be healthy - otherwise people who eat a diet composed entirely of proteins and fats would not survive. People who live in the far north and eat meat or fish for every meal survived for generations without carbs.
However - few people eat a zero carbs diet these days.
I would state emphatically that having settled on a diet which gives me normal readings I am perfectly content to go on eating according to Atkins for the rest of my life. I like the large quantities of low carb veges and fruits I can eat and still have normal readings.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not saying I eat NO saturated fat. I just don't eat the chicken skin, fat off red meats, cream, lots of cheese or butter, bacon, fatty sausage etc.

Lamb chops are one of my fav foods but I do cut the visible fat off. I do have an ounce of cheese latelty. I love chicken thighs ( skinless boneless).
But plant fats make up a much higher percentage of my diet and my bs agrees with it. If I eat a juicy fatty ( drooling) burger or chicken wings with the skin ( drooling again) dipped in a creamy dressing ( still drooling) my bs stays higher for three days. If I eat shrimp with half an avocado drizzled in olive oil my bs stays lower.

I used to eat tons of saturated fat but since diabetes walked in the front door as well as aging it just doesn't work anymore. I sure wish I could handle it because it tastes so good!! The only proof or study I have is in my meter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just giving a different option help reverse diabetes, and to not be contempt with just controlling, as I can't understand why anyone would want to keep lowering carbohydrates to a point they don't eat any fruit or vegetables just to try and regain some kind of control. That just can't be a solution in my book, and if there was a better way, I would take it, and I'm glad I did.
Controlling diabetes doesn't mean eating no fruit or veg - I can't imagine how you have got that idea nor why you would keep repeating it.
Eating fresh salad, low carb vegetables, low sugar berries and a wide variety of other foods is not a hardship, and I am not just a well controlled diabetic I have normal levels of blood glucose. It is a perfect solution to the problem as far as I am concerned and there are many others who have found the same.
The usual process is exactly the reverse of what you are suggesting - by using a meter and testing out foods it is normal for low carbers to expand the range of foods they find that they can eat, and as they feel better many up the amounts they eat and they also take more exercise as their energy levels rise. That is not a symptom of increasing insulin resistance but the exact opposite.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just giving a different option help reverse diabetes, and to not be contempt with just controlling, as I can't understand why anyone would want to keep lowering carbohydrates to a point they don't eat any fruit or vegetables just to try and regain some kind of control. That just can't be a solution in my book, and if there was a better way, I would take it, and I'm glad I did.

I agree with @Resurgam

Where do you get the idea we don't eat vegetables and low sugar fruit? I eat berries, and I eat a wheelbarrow full of tomatoes every week. That's fruit, isn't it?

I am very content with the way my blood sugars behave, with my cholesterol, my blood pressure, my energy, and with the fact my weight dropped off and has been maintained for coming up to 3 years. Oh .... and all without strenuous exercise. I have also found I can add some carbs back on my menu without much effect.

May I ask what your diagnostic HbA1c was?

Reactions: Kristin251

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have real concern around people concentrating on just one aspect and that is just looking at diabetes.... insulin resistance is now being connected with cancer and as said a lot recently by me, please read and look at details from Prof Robert Thomas regarding the importance of polyphenols from plants in health as a whole. He looks at everything and has done major research regarding foods.
Its ok if you just want to look at diabetes but this is not known to be such a fatal disease as cancer...
Please before looking at just one aspect give a consideration to improving whole health. Ie Prof talks a lot about insulin resistance and no cereals for breakfast, no porridge etc. He is on the side of fewer carbs etc for insulin resistance but when he did research on foods it didnt show meat or dairy etc as the healthiest. It was broccoli and turmeric.. not only good for diabetics, arthritis, but cancer too.

Personally I think an all round insulin resistance approach has to be looked at.

Reactions: Kristin251

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
The only fat that I will eat is from Salmon and Mackeral. I wont eat the fat on the meat. I have a heart condition so have been told to avoid too much sat fat. My cholesterol has been good for 12 years so I do not want to put that at risk.I eat a mixed variety of foods. I love cooking and love to try out different recipes, but I have been just craving for some potato,cous cous, quinoa. I am eating the full fat yogurt, and cream. I don't like Advocado