1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HELP NEEDED Fitness Trackers / Smart Watch

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by tigerlily72, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I can also recommend the Fitbit Charge 2, which I bought for my mother in law for Christmas A couple of weeks ago she did 100,000 steps in 5 days which beat many younger challengers. The only strange thing with this is that there is no shut down option. It does have a mindfulness application.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tigerlily72

tigerlily72 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one. I'm veering towards Fitbit as I'm concerned that if I go really cheap I'll just regret it and end up spending even more money buying one that does (most) of what I want.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tigerlily72

@Mbaker - just had a quick look at the Fitbit Charge 2 on Amazon - bit too pricey I'm afraid.

But thanks for the recommendation.

4. mist

mist · Guest

Wii U with Wii fit :D

5. tigerlily72

Is that your personal preference @mist? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mist

mist · Guest

I'm a pro at Wii fit :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tigerlily72

A friend of mine had one year's ago and used to do the boxing mode (or whatever you call it) as well as others. She said it knackered her after a few mins and gave me a demo - it was hilarious watching her! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ME_Valentijn

ME_Valentijn · Guest

I used to do Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii before I came down with ME/CFS. The trick to looking good is to do it while no one's watching :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mist

mist · Guest

My kitty watches me with great interest especially during the rowing game..:joyful:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. csko

csko · Member

Did you buy one? How are you getting on with it?

11. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have a mii band 2. This has a few more functions than the original mii band (watch, step count, heart rate, night time activity, target "buzz", idle alert, alarm). It is still cheap compared to other alternatives.
    It was my choice because of the size (not a clunky bit of plastic stuck to your wrist at all times) and doesn't look tacky.

Whilst it is cheap, it is good quality. The battery lasts about a month. It is very reactive to steps. The phone app is much easier to read and navigate than others.
    My partner bought a Garmin. He chose it so he can download his stats to Vitality (who do not recognise mii). But he spends many hours swearing at the app. However, it has the advantage of a watch battery which lasts a year rather than many bands with batteries that last less than a week: it doesn't matter how much functionality they have if the battery is always running low.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. janrat68

janrat68 Type 2 · Active Member

just seen thi thread i have a fitbit alta you can get the fitbit charge hr of ebay for round 30 quid eve n thge second hand altra are brill cos u can change the straps n they only cost a couple of quid new swar by mine n the app is easy to use on an andriod phone

• Like Like x 2
  13. keitjones

keitjones I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a fit bit. One of the best things I ever bought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Anyone have a fitbit with it's own GPS?
    I found step counting wasn't accurate when I was walking, and connected GPS wasn't too good if I tucked my phone away.
    In the end I bought a Garmin Fenix, good for keeping a track of where you are, and where you've been, but a bit chunky, and no good for vital signs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

@Goonergal that slow roasted lamb sounds incredible.
    Is the fitness tracker one you wear on your wrist? What does it measure? ( sorry should have asked that on the exercise thread - maybe answer there)
    Nice bowl - part of your lovely crockery set.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Yes, fitness tracker is worn on the wrist. Measures steps, distance, active minutes, sleep (that’s the interest for me) and calories burned. Pic attached.

Bowl is part of a range - all items have been bought as singles (from the 212 skyline, Brooklyn and collage city ranges) in my favourite shop in New York. Worth a visit if you’re there and great souvenirs. Planning a few more purchases in the summer. https://fishseddy.com/

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #36 Goonergal, Dec 30, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  17. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Really good price for the tracker, think I might take a look - Ive been toying with the idea of a fitbit type of thing but they are expensive and I’m not sure I’ll make full use. This looks like a good place to start.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I think it'll be this one? https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=19111

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for that. I think it is one I had looked at.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook