What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @DJC3 wasn’t sure which reaction to choose, went for funny as the bit about Huxley made me laugh out loud!

@Emma_369 glad things have improved. Enjoy your last day in Vegas.

Almost 2 full meals today in a 2.5 hour eating window. Was aiming for OMAD but too hungry to hold out.

Lunch was 4 Tesco Gouda and chorizo rollitos - thanks @Rachox for the tip off - followed by almond butter mixed with extra thick double cream and 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons.

Dinner was roasted shoulder of lamb, scored, salted and covered in garlic butter with a few sprigs of rosemary. One of my favourites at the moment. Fancied something a little indulgent and had a 100ml tub of Oppo vanilla ice cream in the freezer (ages since I’ve eaten Oppo). Ate that with a home made chocolate ‘sauce’ consisting of 5 melted Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and 20ml double cream. Bit thick to be considered a sauce but offset the sweetness of the ice cream. Still have 3 large tubs of chocolate flavour in freezer - ought ages ago when on offer.

@DCUKMod looked for the moulds in Lidl today (2 branches) but no luck. Plenty of cooking gadgets on offer - just as well I don’t drive and have to carry everything home or goodness knows what I’d end up with. Settled for a £19.99 fitness tracker.

Was in Tesco in time for reduced food - picked up 4 ginormous pork chops, 2 organic chicken thighs, 2 organic chicken drumsticks and 8 non organic chicken drumsticks for under a fiver.

Attachments

• E77E7474-60F3-480D-AC6B-1CE7D94ABED3.jpeg
    E77E7474-60F3-480D-AC6B-1CE7D94ABED3.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 168

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @DJC3 wasn’t sure which reaction to choose, went for funny as the bit about Huxley made me laugh out loud!

@Emma_369 glad things have improved. Enjoy your last day in Vegas.

Almost 2 full meals today in a 2.5 hour eating window. Was aiming for OMAD but too hungry to hold out.

Lunch was 4 Tesco Gouda and chorizo rollitos - thanks @Rachox for the tip off - followed by almond butter mixed with extra thick double cream and 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons.

Dinner was roasted shoulder of lamb, scored, salted and covered in garlic butter with a few sprigs of rosemary. One of my favourites at the moment. Fancied something a little indulgent and had a 100ml tub of Oppo vanilla ice cream in the freezer (ages since I’ve eaten Oppo). Ate that with a home made chocolate ‘sauce’ consisting of 5 melted Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and 20ml double cream. Bit thick to be considered a sauce but offset the sweetness of the ice cream. Still have 3 large tubs of chocolate flavour in freezer - ought ages ago when on offer.

@DCUKMod looked for the moulds in Lidl today (2 branches) but no luck. Plenty of cooking gadgets on offer - just as well I don’t drive and have to carry everything home or goodness knows what I’d end up with. Settled for a £19.99 fitness tracker.

Was in Tesco in time for reduced food - picked up 4 ginormous pork chops, 2 organic chicken thighs, 2 organic chicken drumsticks and 8 non organic chicken drumsticks for under a fiver.

Sorry Goonergal. The silicone bits start next Sunday. If I said this week, I'll do more lines. I'd be a useless informant.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=19310

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of eggs, bacon and mushrooms followed by LC chocolate cake and cream.
Mid afternoon: LC lemon shortbread biscuits with black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all managed to halt the stress build up today by taking long walk round the forest and also got back to my mindfulness. Tomorrow will be an anxious day - crossing fingers mums boiler fitting happens on New Year’s Eve afternoon - which is when it’s booked! If not may need to go up to sort......
Brunch sausage, bacon and egg
Dinner two lamb chops served with cauliflower rice fried in ghee with two spring onions, tomatoes and mushrooms with small glass of red wine for pudding had made a raspberry compote to go with a dinner party dessert tomorrow for friends new year celebrations which we are going to and had a spoonful of the compote with fage full fat yoghurt. Just treating myself to small glass of lc baileys.
Will not be reporting until the 1st about my New Year’s Eve food as out all evening and prob not back home until next year! Meanwhile wishing everyone on this thread a really happy new year hoping 2019 is a brilliant year for us all.
@Goonergal i bought a fitness tracker in Black Friday sale for 19quid too and absolutely love it it’s great especially for my long walks plus I get my texts on it, it does my beats per min and blood pressure readings I’m addicted to I get way more use from it than thought I would but haven’t managed to sleep wearing it through whole night to record sleep as get irritated by it at night so end up taking it off!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Looks pretty good for the price. Do I wait a couple of days to see what @Goonergal thinks about it and risk it selling out, or do I bite the bullet and go tomorrow.....

I’ll let you know. Have at least got it working and downloaded the app. Will try and sleep with it on and see if I can tolerate that better than @shelley262

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Family day with No1 and No3 sons and families today at the home of No1 son. 1 meal but stretched over a few hours.
Leg of lamb, sprouts + chestnuts and broccoli. Sounded good until I tasted the lamb and realised it had been marinated and cooked with honey and pomegranate - couldn't properly taste the Turkish herbs. (Interesting that all 3 of our boys do the cooking. Clue to how I got here) Sliver of Yule log (from our favourite free coffee giving supermarket) with thick Jersey cream; cheese(s) - then it became messy - port and brandy and drone flying in the kitchen
We did manage to offload a fair portion of out excessive food and wine to Suffolk and saw the scan pictures of the May granddaughter - think I hid my disappointment well.
Repeat performance at No3 son's house on Tuesday then return to sanity except 89th birthday for MIL next weekend.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Skipped breakfast, snacked on cheese and glass of milk.

Dinner tonight,..
Spatchcock chicken, salt & pepper sprinkles (?), brocoli bake with cheese (12.5g) ,
and cauliflower & red onion with turmeric spices.8.5g carbs)
Chicken DELICIOUS...broccoli nice, but the cauliflower and the turmeric...a surprise hit.
Must try to make.,.(all M&S bought by missus as a treat..)
scored 5.9/6.0..so a win. (* numbers for half, as we shared.)

( Almost OMAD today )

Loving the new pics put up today, and totally agree with you @shelley262
Since i've had mine, just love the info it gives me..so engrossed by it all, ( always been a data nerd ).
Love the sleeping app..rarely let the watch off my wrist.
barely notice it was there if i wasn't forever tapping and playing with it.

Said in other post, never knew i wanted one until i got one..now i wonder how i ever got by without it...:hilarious:

Enjoy the data, @Goonergal ..hope you enjoy, we need more data nerds.. :bookworm:

And @DJC3 we spoke earlier about 'would it be used' so that's a good price to find out if you would,
and won't break the bank if it ends up collecting dust.

btw, I like to use amazon to check the reviews, ( i think of it as part of my Buyers toolbox..Ain't the web great :D )
but you do have to be careful about the 'FAKE' ones or so they say.

and an added test, is this site, people pop up deals they have seen in shop / online.
Now this , when you post a review you can get ripped to shreds, so it's a nice balancing act..
(they do not suffer fool-ish posts gladly).

and then you go buy wherever offers the best deals..amazon, lidl, china..etc
Here's the latest lidl one....LINK.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll let you know. Have at least got it working and downloaded the app. Will try and sleep with it on and see if I can tolerate that better than @shelley262
Maybe wrong thread but here goes. I find the data from wearing all night really helpful. Most useful is resting heart rate. In the case of fitbit the graph picks up effects of alcohol perfectly - makes it very clear what it does. As for sleep, comparisons with lab results I have read suggest that is its strong point - however, if you sleep with a partner it will pick up their movements and credit you with less sleep. Is the Lidl one waterproof as I really want one to verify that swimming really does push my hr way above any other form of exercise.?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe wrong thread but here goes. I find the data from wearing all night really helpful. Most useful is resting heart rate. In the case of fitbit the graph picks up effects of alcohol perfectly - makes it very clear what it does. As for sleep, comparisons with lab results I have read suggest that is its strong point - however, if you sleep with a partner it will pick up their movements and credit you with less sleep. Is the Lidl one waterproof as I really want one to verify that swimming really does push my hr way above any other form of exercise.?

Hi Ian. Sleep is what I’m interested in. Not sure I’ve set it up right as last night’s sleep is split into 2 - sleep,time on 30th Dec and sleep time on 31st Dec!! It also didn’t pick up my visit to the loo - was apparently in a light sleep while getting to bathroom and back. Hmmm......

It’s not waterproof - specifically says not to swim with it. Can cope with temporary immersion up to 1m.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian. Sleep is what I’m interested in. Not sure I’ve set it up right as last night’s sleep is split into 2 - sleep,time on 30th Dec and sleep time on 31st Dec!! It also didn’t pick up my visit to the loo - was apparently in a light sleep while getting to bathroom and back. Hmmm......

It’s not waterproof - specifically says not to swim with it. Can cope with temporary immersion up to 1m.
I would say don't look to use it as an accurate measurement of duration and quality of sleep on any one day. Look for trends - how what and when you ate, drank and exercised affects sleep. There will, in my experience, be some obvious patterns. If you also have data on exercise performance you can see the full picture. How to use it is a totes different matter:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs ...mi fit band 3
link

5 atmospheres £26 odd quid .amazon.english not Chinese.
Hr tracker .(just bear in mind screen is SWIPE.. I've never used in pool, but those who did state that while stats ARE collated, screen due to water is ineffective.
I'd say start activity .then swim. Dry off check phone app stats )

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.6. Nice peaceful day yesterday with the boys away home. Decided on a cooked breakfast as I had things to finish.
B. 6 mini chipolatos, slice GF black pudding, 4 rashers crispy streaky bacon and a fried egg (another double yolker). Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. 1/2 raspberry PHD bar.
D. Baked glazed gammon, green beans and wilted spinach plus 1/2 of the smallest roast potato ever. Last of the IP creme brulee with blackberries. Usual campari and soda.

Going out tonight to the venue where son's band is playing so I currently have no idea what food we will be having. I suspect alcohol will be involved though

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Nothing about this post is LCHF but as I feel we are friends on here I may as well be honest.
Honest and moaning post goes like this :
Today has been a write off - had to find emergency dentist in Vegas at 4am for hubby - $750 later and he’s spent all day in bed as the insane concoction of antibiotics, steroids and painkillers have basically knocked him out. So me and my mini-me have walked miles and tried to make the best of the day doing as much as we could, but all with a somewhat disappointed heart to it as not nice when the family holiday ends up with a key member not involved. Not eaten all day as Ellie just wanted snacks along the way (snacks I couldn’t eat) but got back to the room and am mentally and physically exhausted after no sleep last night so room service has been ordered of a pizza for me and Ellie to share. It was a $30 pizza or a $100 steak, which after the dentist bill, well diabetes lost out tonight and I’m not massively sorry. Not going to bother testing BG (got 3 strips left) as I know it’s going to be off the chart. Will test in the morning to see my horrible fbg and will be back on track and eating right too. One fall off the wagon on holiday can’t be the end of the world surely :(
Agree with everyone else - things happen so don't beat yourself up about it. Horrid when illness hits so far from home. Hope you managed to enjoy your last day in Vegas. xxx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s a tricky one as your Fitbit convo is so woven into other comments about what you have eaten. I think this is one for the more experienced mods! Sorry! Can it be done @DCUKMod ?
Glad you answered that, @Rachox. It would be like trying to get the cream out of a cup of coffee after it had been stirred in. Nothing wrong with someone starting a new thread about fitbits and activity trackers though.
Just this once will let everyone off for the derailing. ;):bag:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a tricky one as your Fitbit convo is so woven into other comments about what you have eaten. I think this is one for the more experienced mods! Sorry! Can it be done @DCUKMod ?

It could certainly be done, but as the posts relating to it often have other "stuff" in them too, which moves and which stay would be tricky.

@Goonergal - If you would like to propose which posts you consider make up the tracker thrad, we can have a look at it in that context. A PM might be a decent way of communicating that, rather then deflecting the thread with "admin"?

Reactions: jjraak and Rachox

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear.. Yesterday started well enough with bacon, egg and mushrooms with black coffee for brunch. That was after I had ginger tea first thing.
Two more coffees afternoon.
Dinner was beef casserole, and there was crusty bread and butter.
Evening I fancied a beer, so had two. Someone brought out sour cream and chives Pringles. Couldn't find matches, so I ate 3. They were disgusting. I went on to have rather a lot of cashew nuts instead, as I had the munchies. Finished up with rather a lot of chocolate. Tesco 74% stuff, but surely it wasn't me that ate half the block of it.

Today I am fasting with just ginger tea and coffee until dinner this evening. I will be abstaining from the booze too.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
two poached eggs, one rasher bacon, a few mushrooms, one quartered tomato 2 tyvita
scores fbg 5.7..post breaksit 6.6..happy with that

20 mins on my indoors running track.. ;)
( hr 133/97..8 mins intensive..:D )

now getting ready to go won kei in chinatown (soho, london)
first restaurant meal since T2D dx

Duck noddle soup (fav) gonna skip the noodles....:meh:
Chinese vegetables and salt n chili ribs.
lashings of green tea.
will test in loos before eating then 2 hrs later..

( Pray for me the Noodles don't just pull me right in.
there's an entire menu down there i could eat, before all this...:woot:)

Kingmidas

Yesterday
Late breakfast - 'muesli' (small quantity oats, desiccated coconut, pumpkin seeds, pecans) plus blueberries and coconut milk

Lunch - nothing, but had a raspberry PHD bar on way round shops. Surprisingly successful shopping - had to get new jeans as mine are hanging off me. Down one size and they're still a little loose!

Snack on way home - rollitos (found a garage with an M&S food shop) and a curious but rather nice tapas kind of dish - prawns with minted pea puree.

Dinner - roast beef with carrots, peas and broccoli. Last bit of Christmas roulade after, with strawberries and cream.

Today
Had a phone consultation with GP who was very impressed that my Hba1c is now 39, and even more impressed that I'd lost over a stone since May. He told me not to obsess too much about the liver results at the moment, because they can fluctuate and it may be that my liver is still adjusting to a new way of eating. He also said that the bereavement could possibly have had an impact on various levels of enzymes because of the stress. Bloods for liver function will be repeated in 3 months

For breakfast I had 'muesli' again and for lunch I had pate, celery, the last of the rollitos and a roll I made from a Dr Almond mix - totally palatable! I don't really miss bread (and I certainly don't miss white bread) but every now and then I just fancy a roll or a sandwich!
20181231_134027.jpg

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Salami slices, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese stuffed peppers, a few vegetable crisps, sour cream dip. Strawberries, cream and chocolate granola.
Dinner - Out for a Thai meal, with wine and a Tia Maria coffee and an after eight!!
Snacks - Chocolate, lots of :banghead:

Still catching up with about three days messages so apologies if I have missed anything important. Thinking about NY resolutions which I never make, so I'm going to call them 'improvements'. Mine are;
Take a vitamin D3 tablet every day
Up my exercise

Nice and achievable I think, let me know if you have any!

Wishing everyone a good New Years Eve however you choose to spend it xxx