Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Love walking :) I have a four year old Labrador and a terrier of indeterminate age ( rescued ) , we walk together every day . Started long walks post diagnosis in 2009 , I`m sure it helped to keep me off meds along with low carb diet . I`m almost 68 years young :arghh: my husband is disabled and wheelchair bound , so the dog walking is down to me but I love it . Am lucky to live where I do, not far from the moors and equally not far from the sea, so walking is always in grand surroundings . Now built up to about 5 miles a day , feel shocking if I don't do at least 2 , best part is, its free :)

I agree , I'm sure it's keeping me off mess too

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I'm in:) Have recently rediscovered my Wii Fit. It's not connected up but I use the board to do a brisk 30 minutes of walking whilst watching TV:( I know this isn't the same thing as going for a nice country walk (which I also try to do) but figure that if I'm going to watch something I might as well be exercising at the same time. Have also been very busy in the garden - not sure this counts as exercise but all that soil shifting is certainly exercising some unusual muscles!

I do that sometimes too if I'm in a hurry

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Well, @Jamrox (bless her, Mrs Motivator) has had these threads going for a while now, and from the beginning has advocated just moving about more in whatever way possible. To begin with, as I was recovering from major surgery, all I could manage was some seated arm lifts, and a bit of foot waggling. I have come a long way. Due to disabling impairments I am never going to be a fell runner, or even go for long walks, but will find inspiration and motivation by reading what others are doing and adapting to my own abilities. It is all about challenging oneself a little more in increments. So housework and gardening can be a slow gentle form of exercise or a fast heavy workout. Whatever we want to make it. Just move more and move as much as you can in whatever way possible. For me, as some will have tired of hearing, the swimming pool is the only place I can manage a vigorous work out. I still try to move about out of water as often as I can, and make use of garden furniture and work tops in the kitchen as alternative gym equipment.

Today I have managed to get to the swimming pool. 55 mins aquafit class and 15 mins swimming. Feels good, though tiring. Rewarding myself with feet up reading paper, nice cup of coffee.

I am the one who's motivated by people like you Pipp .
I was telling my friends about us recently and for me the big success is that it's become a habit and on days when it's not possible we do little things to be more active.
You are absolutely right it's about moving more . I still think it has stopped me having to go on meds for my diabetes.

Reactions: 6 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
10k steps a day is impressive! Glad everyone thinks gardening counts as exercise. I need to order a load of top soil and compost for newly made very large veg bed. I'm fairly convinced that delivery will only be to the front pavement so I'll have to shift it somehow round the back. Will borrow neighbour's wheel barrow but not sure how to get it up the steps! Ha ha, will this count as my 30 mins of exercise for the next 2 weeks?!

Everything counts , as I've said in other threads , walking , running, swimming , housework, gardening cleaning windows , walking up and down stairs during the adverts ( that one really inspired me) or dancing around sitting room in your nightie .... Just move more .

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Did an extra long walk this afternoon , mainly because I got lost ;) I often walk in a nearby forest , its a forestry commission woodland , vast too with many tracks leading off the main ones . So , I took a new track , thinking I could find my way back to the main one, wrong :( I did make it back to the car eventually, shattered and with two tired dogs, reckon I must have done about 6/7 miles and now suffering , surely it did me good ?

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi jamrox, just finished my pm 10 mile exercise bike ride and did 50situps, then 1/2 hr of weights, now doing this routine am and pm

Well done , sounds great . I'm giving my numb bum a rest for a couple of days and walking instead with my daughter
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1433356037.803781.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1433356058.770044.jpg

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi guys! Remember me? Yep the one who really doesn't like exercise, lol. Can I re-join you please? My weight loss has been stuck for some time. I am trying to have less than 30g carbs a day. Yes, I have failed with this sometimes - I can stick at any diet when it keeps working, I struggle when I see no results for weeks on end.

I walked for 2 hours 28 minutes on Saturday (7.6 miles) but really need to keep doing something daily now. As some of you know consistency isn't my strong point. :rolleyes:

So starting today, I (grudgingly) walked for half an hour. Help me stick with it please guys.

Anyone seen Pedro?

Oh how pleased am I to see you old friend.
Glad you are back

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
2014 I got around the Manchester Marathon slowly after injuring myself in training for and being stupid and not resting. A friend who is a sports therapist un-knotted me enough to get around. Then I did something really stupid and instead of letting my body recover I went and did a speed session and did some serious damage to my groin area to such an extent that getting out of bed or standing up was an interesting experience. I was still getting out for gentle jogs, walks and swims but my fitness went down the pan. Coming up to Christmas everything seemed to have recovered and the new year saw me back on it.

Stupid gene kicked in again and now it's back to running up to 40 miles a week (slower than before so I don't damage my bits again!) prepping to run the Yorkshire Marathon in October.

A few years ago I was 5 stone past a BMI of 25 and struggling to walk up a slight hill so even last years relative (for me) inactivity was a huge improvement.

Keep at it, it helps. It doesn't have to be anywhere near as extreme as this just what you can manage.

Don't expect too much at first it takes time.

Wow that's impressive well done

Des Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Enjoy your summer, we have just started winter, 4c here Kiama AUS.

Reactions: 6 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys! Remember me? Yep the one who really doesn't like exercise, lol. Can I re-join you please? My weight loss has been stuck for some time. I am trying to have less than 30g carbs a day. Yes, I have failed with this sometimes - I can stick at any diet when it keeps working, I struggle when I see no results for weeks on end.

I walked for 2 hours 28 minutes on Saturday (7.6 miles) but really need to keep doing something daily now. As some of you know consistency isn't my strong point. :rolleyes:

So starting today, I (grudgingly) walked for half an hour. Help me stick with it please guys.

Anyone seen Pedro?

That's great @zand!
Hmmm - okay, for weight loss how about frightening your body with something a bit more demanding (if you're feeling fit enough) Really you don't have to do anything too drastic, but enough to get your heart rate up and get your liver kicking out a bit of glucose. Whaaaatt! you say!:eek: Yes it will raise your BGs for a bit, but if you're following a super low carb diet, your body will have to replace anything your liver gives out by converting fat. It might be worth a try and shock your body into shaping up into that gorgeous sexy figure you know is in there.;) Try 5 mins of higher intensity exercise (just run on the spot after a walk and you're already warmed up) and see if you start making some headway. x

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Quite sunny here and yes warm in the sun....water bottles in the fridge to keep hydrated ;)

Des Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
BEBO 321 2 weeks ago, next cut next spring, which is September.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so I have a sick note. Back into it as soon as able.

Who else is slacking?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked to work yesterday in nice shoes, and got blisters on my toes! Today no walking, but a bit of dumbbells and squats.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not exactly slacking, because I am trying, but not getting very far yet.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Massive walk this afternoon with my dogs , don't know how far we walked but we were out for two hours , now have aching muscles and am about to ruin the walk by having a large glass of wine , cheers :)

Reactions: 5 people