Hi all

Peter1702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been recently diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 53. I find that I could do with lots of advice as my local NHS is not helping. I am needle phobic which is creating me loads of problems as I cannot check my blood sugar levels or inject insulin (my wife is injecting this for me). Any advice on beating this?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have been recently diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 53. I find that I could do with lots of advice as my local NHS is not helping. I am needle phobic which is creating me loads of problems as I cannot check my blood sugar levels or inject insulin (my wife is injecting this for me). Any advice on beating this?

Hi Peter,

I was 54 at diagnosis but have no experience of the needle issue.

A quick look on-line shows various resources are available so suggest a google search for information.

Here's some info that might be helpful to get you going.

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/all-patients/overcoming-your-fear-of-needles.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjV2Mj6rMPjAhXTasAKHbAqDygQFjABegQIDxAG&usg=AOvVaw3KKLezgf2vgFplaGjO4WKO&cshid=1563620753015

You could also try to push the issue with the diabetes nurse at your GP's clinic as they should be able to direct you somewhere for additional help.

For daily checks there are devices like Freestyle Libre which you wear and although a small filament passes through the skin, it relieves the need for constant finger pricking.

Good luck, hope you get something sorted.

Reactions: Prem51

Peter1702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Urban racer
Have read the link you gave thanks for that.
I find that my local nhs trust is not interested.
I have tried hypnotherapy with no luck.

Reactions: urbanracer

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it. I've struggled to come to terms with the same diagnosis. I'm relatively needle-phobic myself and had very good diabetes nurses show me how to inject into a rubber ball before trying my stomach. I've ended up with hypersensitivity, which means everything hurts when the needles shouldn't, my GP says is stress from just starting insulin. Do you have a diabetes nurse you can phone and go in for training? I can phone up and have as many appointments as need with mine. I focus on the movement of flicking my wrist rather than the injection. For finger pricks, I use the middle and top of my fingers. It's so important to monitor your blood sugars. I test over 8 times a day, even getting up during the night. Best wishes for your journey ahead.

Peter1702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel every injection for hours after. My GP is currently on holiday and the locum that is there is not interested. My diabetes nurse responds if I leave a message on answer phone but doesn’t give me any help. I have only been struggling with diabetes since beginning of July and have had enough already.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can I ask what needle size you are using and where you are injecting? I guess I'm lucky as I rarely have any needle pain following the injection. Note that the area you inject in becomes less sensitive over time.

Reactions: Steph001 and Prem51

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I feel every injection for hours after. My GP is currently on holiday and the locum that is there is not interested. My diabetes nurse responds if I leave a message on answer phone but doesn’t give me any help. I have only been struggling with diabetes since beginning of July and have had enough already.
I'm the same. My GP said it was just the shock of it all making my skin hypersensitive. Even my fingerpricks hurt when they didn't before. I'm relying on it passing. I'm sorry to hear your nurse isn't helpful. You must feel isolated.

Reactions: Sapien

Peter1702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel very isolated the only person who cares about me is my wife. I can’t take any more needles I’m too stressed.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Marie 2 Yes that works. But I'm afraid I can't help @Peter1702. I fortunately do not have to inject. It was the fear of having to inject at some point that motivated me to control my diabetes by losing the fat that was almost entirely around my middle.

I have read on other threads that some Type 1s say that injecting isn't as bad as they feared. I think they have said it's easier to scrunch up some belly skin and fat and inject into that. @Peter1702 might try that instead of injecting into his thighs.

Reactions: Marie 2

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Peter, when I was diagnosed six months ago I had severe needle phobia. It was to the point where I couldn't look at a blood test without feeling like I would pass out and when they sent me home from the hospital with the insulin pens I was terrified. Now it doesn't bother me the slightest. I just started injecting because I had no choice, and though the first week was terrible I got over it. You can practice sticking needles into fruit.

It shouldn't be painful either. As mentioned above try injecting into your belly rather than thigh. Many people don't have enough fat in this area so you can hit nerves which will hurt. Studies also show that insulin absorption is better in the abdomen. Pinching the fat and injecting at 45 degrees is a lot easier than going straight in at 90 degrees when you struggle with needles.

Another thing that's important is that the injections need to be fast, it should be like throwing a dart. In the beginning I would hesitate a lot and put the needle in slowly and this hurt. There's a very good section in Dr Bernstein's book on how to inject insulin. I split my basal these days so I never inject more than 6u at the time, but I remember trying to do the full 12u when I started on insulin and these injections were always messy it would sting and bruise. There's something called the law of small numbers (also in Dr Bernstein's book) which makes sense to me.

You can do this. And you're not alone. There's many good people online writing blogs and posting on forums. I hope things get better for you.

Reactions: Prem51 and Marie 2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only have experience of injecting myself with anticoagulation injections post op, not insulin. However I have seen talk of this devise which means the only piercing of the skin is once every three days. I don’t know if this would be better for you @Peter1702 ?
https://mmc.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/iport/

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Peter1702 , I'll tag @Delticmatt100 , he was dx'd recently, was having injection issues too and managed to get hold of some needle shields which cover the needles, seems to have helped him, so maybe worth looking into.

You are so not alone in this. There's lots of folks on this forum with decades worth of experience. T1 has been called "the ultimate self-treated condition", so we can always pitch in with suggestions when needed.

It's understandable you're feeling distraught at the moment - we've all been there, it's a riot of emotions - but, believe me, there will be a time when you sit down and say, ok, it is what it is. I've found that instead of treating it as a threat, an enemy, it is simply a small part of my body has gone out of whack, so I need to care for it. That way, I'm not fighting it, I'm co-operating with it. That approach can make a huge psychological difference.

Good luck!

Reactions: Marie 2 and Prem51