Hi, recently diagnosed, stumped by fasting blood glucose

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 2 just over two months ago (out of the blue, no symptoms, blood tests were for something else), and was told my fasting blood glucose was 11, put on metformin and statins and told to lose weight (BMI at the time of 31). Courtesy of Covid, aftercare has been limited to eDesmond app, though I've now had a retinopathy appointment as well. I've upped exercise (from some to 5+ hours / week), pretty much eliminated added sugar, significantly reduced starchy foods and moderately reduced portions and managed to loose just over 10kg so far (still going, need to lose the same again to get into normal BMI range).

So, a fair bit of reading later, I got a blood glucose meter and strips and have been testing first thing, before most meals and 2 hours later for the last couple of weeks. Generally I'm getting pre meal results around 5 - 6.5, post meal results the same to 1 point higher (carb dependant). However, I'm consistently having my fasting reading the highest of the day, at least 6.5 into the 7s, higher than at the end of the previous day.

Any suggestions on how to reduce these fasting readings? Is it a sensible goal to try and achieve the non-diabetic levels from NICE? Obviously remission would be amazing, if achievable.

Thanks,

Simon

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, fasting bg is always the last to reduce and may take many months. The important ones are the under 2 rises after a meal so concentrate on that.

Well done on progress, you are doing well

Reactions: OrsonKartt

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
However, I'm consistently having my fasting reading the highest of the day, at least 6.5 into the 7s, higher than at the end of the previous day.
This is because your liver helpfully dumps out sugar to help you get going in the morning. As you are insulin resistant, it's a bit more than your body can cope with, and your levels go up. I believe the metformin suppresses this slightly, but there's nothing much you can do about it other than waiting for your dietary and lifestyle measures to reduce your insulin resistance. As @MrsA2 said, this is often the last reading to normalise for T2s working to go into remission.

Well done on your other results.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@simo_M
If you want to do even more reading, search the forum for Dawn phenomenon

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for the responses
@tophat 1900, that post gives a great overview in a couple of minutes. Diet doctor looks interesting, I've got the odd recipe from there, I'll have more of a browse around it.
@EllieM and @MrsA2 I guess I do need to be patient and persevere. Marathon not a sprint, etc. The dawn phonomonen (if it's what's hitting me ATM) is distinctly unhelpful . I haven't yet been motivated to test during the night to figure out when it rises.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @simo_M,

First of all, let me welcome you to the forum.

Agree with the others, for us T2s it usually the fasting levels that come down last. For me, this took about 6 months while my levels throughout the day were already in the normal range (as was the HbA1c at the time). The reason is possibly that it might take some more time for us to lose all the fat from the pancreas and the liver, lower insulin levels and increase insulin sensitivity. Just continue with low carbing and fasting levels should get better with time.

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Just seen doc this morning, fasting was 7.1 hba1c 5.1%.
We talked about my fasting (morning) numbers, he said there were a few things at play, liver getting you ready for the day, but also cortisol and other hormones.

Basically, he said not to worry about it, and to keep focus on the a1c.

Reactions: MrsA2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on the weight reduction. Don't worry about fasting readings as others have said due to the overnight liver dump. BTW Statins are not a diabetes drug so don't let the GP add them just because you have diabetes. Only take them if your Cholesterol lipids ratios are bad.

Reactions: simo_M

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess with 2 weeks of blood sugar monitoring I'm still learning my body and it's ideosyncracies. I will persevere

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Simon, well done you are doing incredibly well. I've adopted a low carb way of eating and after a few weeks feel like a new person. I was quite depressed about the diagnosis initially but now see it as a blessing.

Reactions: simo_M