Hi

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I was diagnosed with TYPE 2 Diabetes last year, suspected had few years though. I'm honestly very scared and already have neuropathy and am afraid of losing my eye sight.

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
What were your numbers upon diagnosis? And now?
the A1C was 6.2. was taking the metformin a few months ago but started to feel extremely exhausted from it so stopped taking it. i see a floater in my eye and can't see anything without my glasses. can't eat or sleep, so worried about losing my eyesight.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @worriedwart and welcome to the forum

Sounds like you’re having a rough time. Have you seen your doctor or an ophthalmologist about the problems you’re experiencing with your eyes?

Your morning numbers (90 mg/dl = 5 mmols) look good and as a type2 with I assume no meds since you mention that you stopped metformin, you should be able to bring the higher numbers you get during the day down by reducing carbohydrates in your diet. Have a look through the link below and come back with any questions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Reactions: ziggy_w

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the A1C was 6.2. was taking the metformin a few months ago but started to feel extremely exhausted from it so stopped taking it. i see a floater in my eye and can't see anything without my glasses. can't eat or sleep, so worried about losing my eyesight.

Hi, you joined the right place. So many of us have improved out health dramatically with a low carb healthy fat diet.

Hopefully you will too, try not to worry too much, you are with freinds here !

Caprock94

my sugars are like 90's in morning but up to 160 end of the day.

Those are good morning numbers. Can't say for sure, but the rise at end of the day is likely from diet. Have you tried really cutting back on carbs?

Also, what kind of neuropathy do you have? Are you finding a way to get some relief from it?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi worriedwart,
You mention neuropathy and being worried about your eyesight.
There are many members who have gone to a Low Carbohydrate lifestyle and have reduced/eliminated Diabetes medications, moved into the 'healthy Blood Glucose range', lost weight, gained energy, improved asthma, and even halted/reverwed neuropathy.

It doesn't work for everybody (unfortunately), but it works for something like 95% of those who are highly motivated.

Just to re-assure you, Floaters have no link to diabetes. I have quite bad floaters, but my Diabetic Retinopathy examination was all clear !

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I feel burning in my legs and electric shock all over and cold sensations down my arms and legs hands. my sugar dropped to 24 yesterday had to bring it back up. my wounds take long time to heal. i feel constant stinging in my legs all day, no relief. i don't know how to eat, how many carbs, protein, fats etc... im doing this all by myself, and no one else in my house is doing it and we're all diabetic. i have high blood pressure. i feel stinging in my toes around sides of my feet and hotness in soles.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

You are no longer doing it all by yourself- we are here with you.

Are you on any medications. If you are on anything other than metformin the advice will be a bit different than if you are on either nothing or just metformin.

Assuming you are on no medications my advice is to measure your levels just before a meal and 2 hours after. If your levels have risen more than 2 (not sure of the amount with your units) then the meal you have just eaten had more carbs then your body can tolerate. That lets you know that you need to reduce the carb level. If you continue to keep track of what you are eating and the effect on your levels that will give you some guidance on what you can eat.

I keep under 20 grams of carbs a day but you may want to try starting g to keep under say 100 grams of carbs and see what your levels are like.

Why don't you start by providing us with information about what you are eating and people can give some advice.

Just ask whatever questions you like- there are some amazing people with a lot of experience on this site.

Welcome

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hello and welcome

You are no longer doing it all by yourself- we are here with you.

Are you on any medications. If you are on anything other than metformin the advice will be a bit different than if you are on either nothing or just metformin.

Assuming you are on no medications my advice is to measure your levels just before a meal and 2 hours after. If your levels have risen more than 2 (not sure of the amount with your units) then the meal you have just eaten had more carbs then your body can tolerate. That lets you know that you need to reduce the carb level. If you continue to keep track of what you are eating and the effect on your levels that will give you some guidance on what you can eat.

I keep under 20 grams of carbs a day but you may want to try starting g to keep under say 100 grams of carbs and see what your levels are like.

Why don't you start by providing us with information about what you are eating and people can give some advice.

Just ask whatever questions you like- there are some amazing people with a lot of experience on this site.

Welcome

hi, thanks for your reply!

Sometimes i don't eat a lot, so depressed, stressed... i at 500 calories sometimes 200. but i am working higher. like yesterday i had 1,200. i would eat fit active string cheese, strawberries, water breakfast.

lunch banana, sometimes oatmeal, water

dinner, whatever is in my fridge, tonight im eating skinless boneless chicken and mixed vegetables no margarine. orange, apples snack. maybe im eating too much sugars and carbs.,.. im using the website myfitnesspal or the calories. i've onkly made it 600 calories today.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about calories at the moment- at all Just worry about carbs. Banana is really high in carbs and I don't think oranges or apples are much better.

Try things like eggs and bacon, a steak, or other meat- grilled fish

The first issue is the blood sugar levels- after they are settled you can start thinking about calories. Also if you go too low in calories that may not be too good for you.

Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment you seem to be making some rather strange choices. Remember that you can eat meat, fish seafood, eggs cheese, nuts (if low carb) full fat low carb yoghurt and low carb salad stuff and veges.
You probably need to up your fat intake as that is where your energy will come from, but do avoid grain as they are high carb.
Once you get the hang of what to eat and how to prepare it - not cutting off the fat or baking it dry, then you should be well on your way to improving your blood glucose and hba1c levels.
Having a meter to test your blood helps - one with cheap strips so it can be used fairly intensively for a few weeks to find out what you can and can't cope with.
I have meals such as tuna salad - very large ones, steak and mushrooms with berries and cream to follow, or meat with a stirfry, or cauliflower cheese which is cauliflower with cream cheese then more cheese, more cheese again, and maybe some herbs or paprika - steam the cauliflower or cook until almost done, put it in a warm dish, cover with cream cheese, add seasoning, then a layer of grated cheese, place in a warm oven to melt and gently colour the cheese.
I drink coffee with cream or zero carb squash or soda.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sometimes i don't eat a lot, so depressed, stressed... i at 500 calories sometimes 200. but i am working higher. like yesterday i had 1,200. i would eat fit active string cheese, strawberries, water breakfast.

dinner, whatever is in my fridge, tonight im eating skinless boneless chicken and mixed vegetables no margarine. orange, apples snack. maybe im eating too much sugars and carbs.,.. im using the website myfitnesspal or the calories. i've onkly made it 600 calories today.
On your profile it says that you are 27 so are you type 1 or 2 and on another feed you mention walmart so I assume that you are in the US and that you have high BP but not not on medication . Both high blood pressure and diabetes can make you feel anxious etc so why not go back to your doctor and get some correct medication because that would be a step towards helping you feel better.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views

Hello hello @worriedwart and welcome to the young type 2 club! Sounds like you have had a rough time of it. First I would say to get yourself to the docs to get your eyes and so on looked at, if I remember rightly you said you were having other issues? Well it’s time to get that looked into. Secondly the neuropathy could be nothing to do with diabetes and could be due to low B12 with you eating so little. Echoing what others say in reducing fruit and oats, up the meat and healthy fats instead and it’ll have a knock on effect of giving your body more fat soluble vitamins which will help with that sort of thing and reducing blood sugar levels.

I do really hope things get better for you soon!

Reactions: Antje77