Hit me with your low carb lunches!

DMWinter88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Everything my diet now consists of... but I'm coping.
I've adapted to low carb breakfast, dinner, and snacks just fine, but lunch is killing me. I think it's because for as long as I can possibly remember, lunch = sandwich and crisps. That's literally all I've ever had for lunch. It doesn't help that it has to be low carb, lowish calories, tasty, and filling enough to hold me until dinner. That's a lot of boxes to tick in one meal!

For the past 2 weeks I've been having a caesar salad, but I'm so burned out on that. Please give me your go-to lunch recipes!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you doing low cal as well as low carb? Low cal isn't normally necessary with low carb.

If I have lunch I tend to have just a snack of maybe cheese or nuts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've adapted to low carb breakfast, dinner, and snacks just fine, but lunch is killing me. I think it's because for as long as I can possibly remember, lunch = sandwich and crisps. That's literally all I've ever had for lunch. It doesn't help that it has to be low carb, lowish calories, tasty, and filling enough to hold me until dinner. That's a lot of boxes to tick in one meal!

For the past 2 weeks I've been having a caesar salad, but I'm so burned out on that. Please give me your go-to lunch recipes!

DMWinter88, are you eating at home, or in the workplace, and if the latter is it a clean environment where you can be assured your hands will be clean?

For lunches; personally, I have a salad most days. I love iceberg lettuce! I mean; someone has to, right?

If a salad isn't hitting the spot, there are soups, or cooked chicken - drummers, wings or thighs. Cooked sausages. Egg muffins, cold tortilla, chaffles. Cooked bacon. "Last night"'s leftovers.

I know those aren't recipes, but for egg muffins, chaffles and so on, there are loads of ideas Dr Google will help you with.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about sandwiches made with low carb bread? I get bread from this company:
https://lowcarbfood.co/
It’s the best low carb bread I’ve found and freezes well. Fill the sandwiches with meat, cheese, fish with low carb salad and replace your crisps with pork scratchings or Cheesies (https://www.cheesies.co.uk/)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

For myself I like a bag of baby spinach in one hand and a chunk of cheese in the other :) I eat spinach like others eat crisps!

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi I have low carb bread and bread buns from seriously low carb company. I have cheese ham salad or tuna and cucumber or corn beef or chicken bacon and mayo. Crisps I have quavers or skips or Pom bears I think a sandwich and crisp comes to 13carbs or less or you could make a quiche with eggs bacon almond me cheese mushrooms etc x or pork scratchings

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi I have low carb bread and bread buns from seriously low carb company. I have cheese ham salad or tuna and cucumber or corn beef or chicken bacon and mayo. Crisps I have quavers or skips or Pom bears I think a sandwich and crisp comes to 13carbs or less or you could make a quiche with eggs bacon almond me cheese mushrooms etc x or pork scratchings
Almond milk from Sainsbury’s as no carbs no sugar to

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lately I’ve been wrapping diced chicken and red pepper in a piece of lettuce (I use parchment paper to keep it together) and adding either homemade Caesar dressing or sour cream mixed with cumin, paprika and coriander. Honestly don’t miss the bread!

Other times I have red pepper spread with almond butter and topped with tuna, but that might be more of an acquired taste!

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, also pork rinds or puffed cheese (if you can find — they have some on Amazon) might scratch the crisps itch. Not to be holier than thou, but I really like radishes now, satisfying crunch and often a bit spicy.

Reactions: Antje77

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really missed a sandwich and came across https://seriouslylowcarb.com/ and have never looked back - what's not to love - rolls and sandwiches back on the menu - happy days - cheeseburger rolls back on the menu, they also do long rolls so hot dogs again! or anything on a simple sandwich:) They also freeze well and defrost in a short time

If you miss cakes you don't have to - try these https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/ :hungry:

Reactions: annscullamus

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbzone wrap with chicken, lettuce and ff mayo. And if still hungry a bag of Cheesies.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have just had slices of ham with a small amount of Philadelphia cream cheese with chives rolled up. Very tasty!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cooked meat, cheese, nuts, peanut butter on celery, grain free bread with egg mayo, or whatever you fancy
Recipe called :
Mum’s low carb (grain free) bread on the Londoner website
(Sorry don’t know how to do a link)

Reactions: mo53

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if you have a microwave handy, pork chops and broccoli, salmon fillet and cauliflower, chicken and sauerkraut/ cabbage are great options. Mix and match the meat and veg, and you won't get bored

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am not trying to lose weight, but I have crispbreads. Gives a known quantity of carbs and a lot of surface area to cover with delicious toppings. I like egg mayo, sardines, mashed avocado, ham, cheese etc. Bit of crunch to ease the crisp craving too.
You will need to assemble immediately before eating though, soggy crispbread not recommended.
Carrot sticks dipped into a pot of hommous are good too.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cook a really thin omelet, and use as a wrap with whatever low carb filling you want

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My lunch suggestion would be " "

Seriously, it would be nothing. If you are able to get your breakfast and dinner dialed in, I think you should find that further food may not be necessary.

If you are relatively new to low carb, you might be doing treats, or just out of habit 3 meals, or maybe just need to get fully fat adapted. Over time may of us find we simply cannot cope with more than 2 meals sittings.

Whole nutrient dense meals lend themselves towards being mentally and physically satiating. I would eat snack options with your meal. So for example I finished my dinner around an hour ago, this consisted of air fried minted lamb (love the crispy bits) and no cook vegetables and for dessert mixed with snack, toasted coconut flakes, pecans, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, 100% dark chocolate and a little milk:

lamb nuts.jpg

Reactions: Jak13