Hobbies anyone??

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I make and dress dolls house dolls, have done so since 1986. Travel to Europe selling and giving lessons. I have organised clubs and also have groups on FB and yahoo. My avitar is a small 1/12th vignette scale corner of a bedroom. My husband is into model boats.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I make and dress dolls house dolls, have done so since 1986. Travel to Europe selling and giving lessons. I have organised clubs and also have groups on FB and yahoo. My avitar is a small 1/12th vignette scale corner of a bedroom. My husband is into model boats.
Lot of glue sniffing going on there!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I've not posted anything of me playing lol, but there's a cracking saxophonist I found on YouTube who also plays alto, can't remember the name but he's a little Chinese guy. I just typed in "Hey Jude for alto saxophone" or something like that... Seriously good stuff!
I'll have a look after ... I spend a lot of time on youtube.
I seem to have lost my mojo.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As my avatar, diving is my main hobby.
On the backburner, due to a lack of time, the gym/swimming is another one.
Completely on the backburner, (actually off it, and actually now in the fridge) I also have a couple of classic cars I'm restoring.
Hopefully one of these at least will be picked up again shortly, when I've finished the house renovation that is currently taking all my waking moments

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
A few more of my new Jewellery Sets. Just click on them to make bigger.
GAR - WIN_20140818_162851.JPG GAR - WIN_20140818_162456.JPG GAR - WIN_20140818_162304.JPG GAR - WIN_20140818_163957.JPG GAR - WIN_20140818_163806.JPG

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408481773.761204.jpg

Upcycling furniture..chairs from auction (6 for £5).picture on left before, middle stage and then completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Or making matching footstools and headboards from scratch

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408482173.707342.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408482026.321792.jpg

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
This is my thing ... making noise!
I can spend hours weeks months ... sculpting sound ... that very rarely ends up as a tune but I really enjoy putting this stuff together.
Twelve tunes here.
Most of this stuff is around ten years old.
http://www.reverbnation.com/jackbisreallyjoey

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
View attachment 6708

Upcycling furniture..chairs from auction (6 for £5).picture on left before, middle stage and then completed.
I used to do similar in the seventies ... had a shop where I was stripping pine french polishing and generally enjoying myself ... next door to a pub too!
I tried the upholstery side of it and made a pigs ear of it 9 times out of ten.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an acquaintance who was really into dolls houses - she also made them (in all different styles) and made nearly all the furniture too. She lives in a rather old house, and had a group of us visit to show her efforts off to us - her house was completely full of her miniature ones. Stunning!

Robbity

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 6708

I thought you were going to say you'd painted that picture! My aunt and uncle are into upcycling old furniture, but theirs seems to be mostly painted in odd colours and I can never imagine anyone buying them and giving them house room. I could see your stuff selling though.

Wow, what a creative bunch we all are.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
No...only white glue, i Used to do egg crafting and that used UHU........was worried about the kids at one point, coming home from school to a smelly house!!!!!
Lot of glue sniffing going on there!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I thought you were going to say you'd painted that picture! My aunt and uncle are into upcycling old furniture, but theirs seems to be mostly painted in odd colours and I can never imagine anyone buying them and giving them house room. I could see your stuff selling though.

Whats stuff selling?? I make the furniture and paint for myself mainly, until the neighbours have seen it and want their chairs done and matching headboards and stools for their kids.

I love doing it. The other 4 chairs are completely different. Costa coffee sort of style with non matching stripes and plain fabrics..

The print came from the co-op many years ago.

When we left Wales. We basically gave every bit of furniture away to friends except 1 bed, 1 fridge freezer and 3 prints. So I decided to take up recyling and reupholstering..

Best thing I ever did for enjoyment.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408535348.246209.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408535408.204357.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1408535457.729924.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love doing it. The other 4 chairs are completely different. Costa coffee sort of style with non matching stripes and plain fabrics..
View attachment 6719View attachment 6720View attachment 6721

Ooo, I might reupholster dining room chairs in that mix and match style. It'd go with my dining china, which is mix&match in all types of blue & white. I'd really like a sofa done in a patchwork style, but having made a loose cover for my sofa from a roll of fabric off ebay I know it's hard enough in one fabric, let alone creating patchwork and sewing through all those seams.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rosie .. Now changed the backs over, so that one chair is plain seat, plain back. The next chair is plain seat stripe back!! The backs just slot in, so I can mix n match to how I fancy...got to say though it's not a cheap hobby.. But everything is unique!

Well worth a go...so enjoyable taking off the old.

Only thing I find is that I have to have a ready supply of turps to get the stuck blue foam off my fingers as its a bu**er to turn round corners!!

Really, the best hobby I have ever had.

If you got the style of chairs that you like then changing foam and fabric is great.

My neighbours chairs had lovely wood but 10 years of beige disgusting material on them. She had a deep purple thin sort of bedpread fabric for to put on them!! Just a sort of throw that she had bought!! It scared me to do them, but they were great.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I knit and have been doing so for 40 Years now. Knit for the people I work with. Also like getting sad lonely dolls from the charity shops, I take them home and bath them, wash and set the hair then have fun knitting for them from the undies up. Once completed they go back to the charity shop for someone else to love.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I knit and have been doing so for 40 Years now. Knit for the people I work with. Also like getting sad lonely dolls from the charity shops, I take them home and bath them, wash and set the hair then have fun knitting for them from the undies up. Once completed they go back to the charity shop for someone else to love.

Wish I could knit!!! My nan taught me left handed sort of knitting and being right handed I never attempted it since age of 8.

You have just given me another hobby to try. I would love to be able to knit properly. My mum is fantastic and still knits me fantastic jumpers and woolly skirts. However, I think it's about time I learnt again.

Do I need to get somebodyto show me or can I rekindle the knowledge from 40+ years ago from a knitting book? (is there such a thing for basic learners?)