Honey

Judie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to use honey in home made cakes or is it something I should leave well alone?I am a type 2 diabetic and do like cakes.Has anyone got a lovely recipe which would be ok for me?A treat occasionally is what I need but I want to do it right.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
When I asked that question I was told to avoid it at all costs! We make cakes with half and half caster sugar and Splenda by volume - but the flour is processed by the body into carbohydrate as well. I like cakes too - especially meringues :(

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Honey is simply sugar, with flavourings and some nutrients added. Regard it as sugar, as far as T2 diabetes is concerned. Those who can't resist cake seem to use stevia in place of sugar. I've never used it myself, so can't comment on the results or taste, but I understand it doesn't affect blood glucose levels (or possibly not much, not sure about this).
Have a look at this blog, http://diabetesdietblog.com/2016/01/29/sugar-free-cookbooks-not-really/ It's a short, but useful comment on some of the misleading advice about "sugar free", in recent cook books.
Sally

C

catherinecherub

Is it possible to use honey in home made cakes or is it something I should leave well alone?I am a type 2 diabetic and do like cakes.Has anyone got a lovely recipe which would be ok for me?A treat occasionally is what I need but I want to do it right.
If you enjoy cake but don't want it to affect your blood sugars then try some of the recipes that @ewelina has on her blog.
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Honey is simply sugar, with flavourings and some nutrients added.
Sally
It's far more complex than that!
I can tolerate small quantities but don't buy the runny stuff it's sometimes cut with syrup even the named brand ones.