Hospital Stay

samochod

I was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago. I let stress get the better of me and took a stupidly large overdose. I was unconscious for the first 4 days having fits, convulsions and by all accounts quite harrowing hallucinations. My body was going through a ridiculous amount of unconscious stress, but I was also being treated with insulin and they managed to get my sugars way down to normal levels. All while going through something no less than 3 doctors have claimed was as much down to luck as their treatment that I didn't die.

However, once I woke up I was taken off insulin and despite being unable to eat my BG levels began to rise again. Perhaps because I was conscious of my situation once more? Eventually I was able to stomach a 100g pot of yogurt for lunch and another for dinner, but my BG levels began to hit the roof again. And have continued to rise dramatically since I've left hospital and introduced solid foods once more.

I've still not allowed myself to try and process everything, but I can't help but think that my GP and I may need to seriously discuss adding insulin to my treatment sooner than later?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been so desperately ill and unhappy and I think you are right in that you need to have a discussion (sooner rather than later) with your GP about further treatment for your Diabetes and perhaps for your mental wellness. As you are likely to be aware, mental health can be affected when bg is running high.

Here's hoping you get the right treatment for you very soon. Best wishes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago. I let stress get the better of me and took a stupidly large overdose. I was unconscious for the first 4 days having fits, convulsions and by all accounts quite harrowing hallucinations. My body was going through a ridiculous amount of unconscious stress, but I was also being treated with insulin and they managed to get my sugars way down to normal levels. All while going through something no less than 3 doctors have claimed was as much down to luck as their treatment that I didn't die.

However, once I woke up I was taken off insulin and despite being unable to eat my BG levels began to rise again. Perhaps because I was conscious of my situation once more? Eventually I was able to stomach a 100g pot of yogurt for lunch and another for dinner, but my BG levels began to hit the roof again. And have continued to rise dramatically since I've left hospital and introduced solid foods once more.

I've still not allowed myself to try and process everything, but I can't help but think that my GP and I may need to seriously discuss adding insulin to my treatment sooner than later?

Make an appointment at the earliest possible time. Like Guzzler said, high bloodsugars can affect how you feel.... Maybe getting them down some will help.

Hang in there. My first fiancé killed himself with an overdose. It's not something you shrug off, it shatters the lives of those around you. (It's been 20 years and I still think he should be here instead of me. He was better at living than I am.). Try to do what needs to be done to get better. Insulin, anti depressants, therapy... And if at first you don't succeed, try again. Life IS worth it. YOUR life is worth it.

Big hug from someone who doesn't usually hug people because they scare the **** out of her.
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So so sorry to hear about what you’ve been through. I do hope you get to see your GP soon and get the help you need x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @samochod Thank goodness you are ok.

Please talk about how you are feeling, it's vital you get support so please be open with your GP and tell them everything that's going on in your head, they will understand as we will too, I know it's not easy but it can be made easier to live with this, you are important, your not alone and you can get support so please see your GP asap x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sam, you have undoubtedly been through an horrendous experience in recent times. When your body has had such an assault on it, it takes time to come back to being itself, so an immediate response might be a bit of an ask, although high bloods aren't great for you.

When you talk about your numbers being hitting the roof, is that in the teens, twenties or thirties; just roughly?

One comment I will make is that there are more than 400 drug combinations available to treat T2 diabetes, so it could be there are plenty choices available before insulin comes into play on a more perma basis.

As the others have said, support is going to be important to you moving forward for both your body and mind. I do hope you can see your GP very soon and plan a way forward.

Good luck with it all, and look after yourself.

Reactions: Christine22080