Hounslow diabetes/cardiovascular meeting Tuesday May 29

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I will be speaking at this meeting, giving my experience with a low carb diet. The other speaker is from Diabetes UK. Will it be like an Agatha Christie novel, where she brings together people who have reason to murder each other.....?
hide.gif

The programme for the evening:
7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments
7.25pm Diabetes UK talk
8.29pm Ian Day - Low carb diet
9.15pm Close

Venue:
Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD
Montague Road is just off Hounslow High Street on the corner with Holy Trinity Church. The Hall is opposite Hounslow Police Station. There is ample free parking after 6.30pm in public car parks in Montague Road.

I look forward to seeing forum members there
grouphug.gif

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Does no-one else live near Hounslow?????

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ian,

Providing that I get ground clearance from Mrs Borofergie, I'll come along to give you some support...

Will there be biscuits?

Stephen

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
borofergie said:
Ian,

Providing that I get ground clearance from Mrs Borofergie, I'll come along to give you some support...

Will there be biscuits?

Stephen
It will be good to see you. Yes, biscuits, usually someone does a savoury, & I will make some almond cake.

My advertising summary is:
Diabetes UK advise against a low carbohydrate diet: “The actual amount of carbohydrate that the body needs varies depending on your age, weight and activity levels, but it should make up about half of what you eat and drink.”

My experience following the Diabetes UK diet resulted in debilitating complications.

A low carbohydrate diet quickly reversed the complications. I have been fit & well for four years.

I will give information about my diet & its benefits, including support from medical authorities, & challenge Diabetes UK to change their dietary advice.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
IanD said:
Diabetes UK advise against a low carbohydrate diet: “The actual amount of carbohydrate that the body needs varies depending on your age, weight and activity levels, but it should make up about half of what you eat and drink.”

My experience following the Diabetes UK diet resulted in debilitating complications.

A low carbohydrate diet quickly reversed the complications. I have been fit & well for four years.

I will give information about my diet & its benefits, including support from medical authorities, & challenge Diabetes UK to change their dietary advice.

I'm looking forward to this. I hope that the DUK guy will listen to a respond to your points. It could be an uncomfortable evening for him.

Stephen

MaryJ

Best of luck Ian - shame its so far, will be there in spirit and looking forward to you telling us how brill it went.

Mary x

A

Anonymous

Not sure where I am going to be Tuesday but might come and float in the background..

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
From the flyer today:

7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments
7.25pm Alice Delemare, Diabetes UK, "Putting Feet First Campaign"
8.15pm Ian Day, "Low Carbohydrate Diet"
9.05pm Raffle followed by Cheese and wine
9.15pm Close

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Sorry IanD, I wish I could attend but I live in Manchester but I wish you the best of luck although I am sure that you won't need it.
Please let us know how it all goes x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
You can recognise me from facebook - Ian Day

387554_10150394139741121_520351120_8481364_1855857565_n.jpg

A

Anonymous

I plan to try and get there though I'm not particularly close on Tuesday. Will say hello if I make it

S

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
And by the fact that you'll be the bloke behind the podium speaking...
But that will be an hour into the meeting, & it would be nice to meet earlier.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks, Borofergie & Swimmer for coming - plenty of interest & requests for more info.

The DUK talk was on "Putting Feet First" & was very helpful - & left a lot of local questions to be answered. I gave the speaker my talk & leaflet, but she could not stay.

A

Anonymous

I good and well received talk Ian. I was interested by the number of people who showed ask for more details and seemed genuinely engaged with their own diet/care.

It's clear that there are still lots of people getting and giving bad advice.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What a great event!

I've never been in a group of other "real" diabetics before (there were about 50 people in the audience). Unfortunately I got there too late to eat some of Ian's low-carb cake (although he told me that some people refused to eat some on the grounds that it was low carb).

DUK sent a young volunteer to do a very credible presentation on foot-care which generated a quite intense discussion lasting half an hour. Unfortunately she didn't stay for all of Ian's presentation, although to be fair, she probably wouldn't have been experienced enough to address the points that Ian raised.

Ian's presentation was excellent. It was so refereshing to see someone speak from the heart about their personal experience, and great to see a presentation delivered the old way, without the aid of boring power-point slides. Swimmer and I were both nervous about what the reaction of the audience would be, and I thought I detected some dissent as Ian spoke.

I was wrong, the audience reaction was almost universally postive, with some really intelligent and incisive questions. As expected the experience of low-carb was very low, but people were genuinely interested. Ian was mobbed after the talk with people asking for personal advice.

Observations:
  1. Hounslow is really lucky to have such a great Diabetic community
  2. The view that the general diabetic public isn't ready to listen to low-carb is completely wrong. This lot were very interested in Ian's message
  3. Swimmer and IanD are top blokes

Unbeliever

Well done Ian and hanks also to Swimmer and Borofergie for supporting him and coming back to report.
I suppose the very fact that these people actually atended a meetig must mean that they are inclined to be pro-active and I imagine were delighted to hear something new and empowering o he individual.
I am sure that the fact it came from a fellow diabetic and not hrough the HCPs must have provided extra interest.

If only there were an easy way of reaching more people without having to go via the HCps etc. Apart from the forum , of course.