viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
stueys said:
Hi sorry to butt in on your post was wondering is 4.7 low or anything to worry about pretty new to this levels been real god roundabout the 6's to 8's cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi Stueys

No, 4.7 is nothing to worry about. NHS Type 2 target levels are:

4 - 7 before meals
less than 8.5, 2 hours after.

I would prefer less than 7.8, 2 hours after eating. In fact, I aim for non-diabetic levels, which are:

3.5 to 5.5 before meals
less than 8, 2 hours after eating

which is not impossible if you have good control. I'm TYpe 2, low carb, 500g Metformin 3 x daily.

Sounds as if you're doing okay! :thumbup:

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
LittleWolf said:
Doctor says I can't possibly be diabetic. Highest 15.4, lowest 3.1 and usually 6.7-9.8

LittleWolf, the non-diabetic range is as follows:

3.5 - 5.5 fasting/before meals
less than 8, 2 hours after eating

HbA1c, 4.6 - 5.4%, or 20 - 42.

In your place I'd be back at my GP and asking for either a Glucose Tolerance Test or an HbA1c, and preferably both. Neither is expensive, so don't let them fob you off.

The target range for a Type 2 is:

4 - 7 fasting/before meals
less than 8.5, 2 hours after eating.

Your readings are not typical of non-diabetics. You need a proper answer, not "can't possibly be". Even skinny people can become diabetic - 20% of Type 2s are at or below "normal" weight. About 80% are fat/obese at diagnosis - but only about 20% (I think; someon please correct me!) of obese people are diabetic.

I'm not qualified and can't diagnose, but I think you should go back to your GP.

Viv 8)

Maitland

Only diagnosed a few weeks ago but the highest (after being diagnosed) after food was 8.1 and my lowest 4.8. Highest fasting has been 5.9 and my lowest 4.4.

Nothing compared to what some other posters have been through.

M...

LittleWolf

That is what I don't get. May I ask under what circumstances you were diagnosed? Sorry if Im prying or derailing the thread. Like how did it come to light and lead to someone testing you? Im wondering If it's me or my GP because they don't care about me hitting 15

Maitland

LittleWolf said:
That is what I don't get. May I ask under what circumstances you were diagnosed? Sorry if Im prying or derailing the thread. Like how did it come to light and lead to someone testing you? Im wondering If it's me or my GP because they don't care about me hitting 15

LittleWolf, not sure if that question is in relation to me but will answer just in case it is.

About 2 years ago I had some trouble with my feet. Very sore with difficulty walking. Was given special insoles that merely stretched my shoes but thankfully the problem resolved itself.

The Doc however sent my bloods off and I came back with Impaired fasting and was asked to modify my diet. Not knowing a great deal about impaired fasting and not researching the subject merely stopped the 3 sugars in the 30 cups of coffee a day. This lasted for two years until mid April when I was reviewed and came back with two fasting tests of 7.4 and 8.7. Doc then decided I was Type 2 and diagnosed me as such.

Here I am roughly 3 weeks on having now lost 17 pounds with my fasting readings no higher that 4.9 and 5.6 two hours after meals.

My apologies if that question was not for me and my apologies for taking this thread off topic.

M...

LittleWolf

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but glad you got sorted out...Thanks for replying.

It's definitely my GP then. I think I'd have to pass out in front of them for anyone to care. My feet are driving me nuts along with just about everything else. I'll stop ranting now and just go to a walk in center. Sorry for also derailing the thread/being annoying.

Maitland

LittleWolf said:
Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but glad you got sorted out...Thanks for replying.

It's definitely my GP then. I think I'd have to pass out in front of them for anyone to care. My feet are driving me nuts along with just about everything else. I'll stop ranting now and just go to a walk in center. Sorry for also derailing the thread/being annoying.

Hopefully you will get the issue resolved. Keep us updated.

M...

blackcat79

Lowest 3.9 months ago n highest last Weds night of 32.7!!! Eek hence ive just started on insulin basal n apidra fast acting b4 meals now ranging between 14 -22 so slowly getting there n doses bn increased every few days i also take 6mg glimpiride n 1000mg metformin daily.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
Lowest 1.6 but I was functional. I was walking and talking, It was only the meter reading that let me know I was that low. (I did go to hospital at that point as half and hour previous to checking my blood I had drunk a whole bottle of lucozade).

Highest was 38 when I was originaly diagnosed. I didn't think I felt ill, till I started to get better (have lower blood sugar).

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
my highest was a few weeks ago. 31.5 felt so ill, terrible headaches, fatigue, blurred vision, dry mouth, hirstt peeing a lot, stayed in the high 20's until last week, medication increased and gliclazide was added to mid to high teens now but getting lower every day, lowest was last year 4.1 felt tired but no other symptoms

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
About 3 years ago my meter told me several times I was "Hi", (over 35 I think). lowest was this Saturday 2.2. Since I started low carbing a month ago, I'm hypoing couple times a day. Luckily I still have good hypo awareness,

Btw, hello everyone lol. I've been reading about you all for a couple of months, but first time I've been brave enough to post lol :thumbup:

LittleWolf

6 months down the line and getting worse. Lowest just said 'low' after alcohol, 2.5 is the lowest actual number. Highest 24.8. Both times felt like ****.

OGTT came back as 7 fasting, 10 after 2 hours.

I'm officially not diabetic though...

qbix

LittleWolf said:
6 months down the line and getting worse. Lowest just said 'low' after alcohol, 2.5 is the lowest actual number. Highest 24.8. Both times felt like ****.

OGTT came back as 7 fasting, 10 after 2 hours.

I'm officially not diabetic though...

That is ridiculous. I have already posted on this. My lowest now has been 2.8 and highest was before I was diagnosed, 19.8. I was diagnosed on that basis alone. Nothing else. Have you had an hba1c done?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using DCUK Forum mobile app

dpn78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Highest I've been is when my machine said HI which makes it over 27, the lowest I've been is 1.1. After 22+ years my low signals are very erratic. I can be in the 2's and still fully functional lol, when high I tend to get thirsty and irritable.

sugarangel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was dianosed my sugar level was in the 60's with extreme ketoacidosis...they had to use a special machine to test and was given 2 hrs to live....16yrs on still here....lowest was 1.1 when I had a hypo that was described as a seizure. ...covulsing like sn epileptic!!!

Marrocco

Hi, I'm type II on Metformin and Glibenclamide.

My highest was on diagnosis @3-4 years back, at 27...

My lowest has been 2.4

I fealt quite odd at 2.4, almost like being drunk- I felt constantly ill before diagnosis and for a year or so after until the sugar levels levelled off. I normally keep around 5.5-6 now, thank fortune.