How many grams of carbs?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To make sure I'm doing everything properly I've put all my goals into Myfitnesspal.com. I allowed myself 20% carbs, 50% fat and 30% protein. However this equates to 85g of carbs which sounds like way too much! I know everyone is different but what would be a good amount for me? I am trying desperately to lose weight as well as getting myself sorted out. Thanks a lot.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb is anything under 120g carbs and we all have different tolerances in termsof what our bodies can cope with - some are ok at 120g some need to be closer to 20g
The only way to find out what is right for your body is to get a meter and test how your body reacts to different foods / carb levels
Maybe start at the 85g a day then reduce by 10g a week if you need to until you find a level that works for your body’s metabolism

Last edited:

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is anything under 120g carbs and we all have different tolerances in termsof what our bodies can cope with - some are ok at 120g some need to be closer to 20g
The only way to find out what is right for your body is to get a meter and test how your body reacts to different foods / carb levels
Maybe start at the 85g then reduce by 10g a week if you need to until you find a level that works for your body’s metabolism

I was thinking of going really low for a couple of weeks to kick start my weight loss and then add more carbs as I go along (I have a meter ordered). Do you think that sounds OK or would I be better off starting high and going lower? I just want to see some movement on the scales!

Reactions: Mags H

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed 11 months ago and I started by keeping under 100g per day, the weight fell off easily and my blood sugars dropped steadily. After 6 weeks my blood sugars plateaued so I reduced to between 50 - 70g per day. The weight continued to come off and blood sugars dropped. I have naturally dropped a little further over the last 3 months and now rarely go over 60g per day. My HbA1cs have been non diabetic since Sept and my weight continues to fall but at a much slower rate.
I preferred gradually reducing carbs as I wanted to avoid carb flu, not real flu but a similar feeling as your body objects to a big drop in carbs.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking of going really low for a couple of weeks to kick start my weight loss and then add more carbs as I go along (I have a meter ordered). Do you think that sounds OK or would I be better off starting high and going lower? I just want to see some movement on the scales!
Different approaches will suit different personalities - some like to go hell for leather, others do better with slow and steady.
My only caution is that with starting out with v low carb is that it can become harder to subsequently increase carbs due to physiological insulin resistance

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/increased-insulin-resistance-with-a-low-carb-diet.111954/

Last edited:

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 11 months ago and I started by keeping under 100g per day, the weight fell off easily and my blood sugars dropped steadily. After 6 weeks my blood sugars plateaued so I reduced to between 50 - 70g per day. The weight continued to come off and blood sugars dropped. I have naturally dropped a little further over the last 3 months and now rarely go over 60g per day. My HbA1cs have been non diabetic since Sept and my weight continues to fall but at a much slower rate.
I preferred gradually reducing carbs as I wanted to avoid carb flu, not real flu but a similar feeling as your body objects to a big drop in carbs.

Thanks Rachox-you seem to have cracked it so well done! I have slashed my carb intake (I was still eating sweet potatoes and nuts) but the weight isn't moving for me so I thought I'd better try Plan B. I think I might stick at 20%/85g then I have more room to manoeuvre if I'm still not losing.

Reactions: Rachox

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Different approaches will suit different personalities - some like to go hell for leather, others do better with slow and stady.
My only caution is that with starting out with v low carb is that it can become harder to subsequently increase carbs due to physiological insulin resistance
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/increased-insulin-resistance-with-a-low-carb-diet.111954/

Yes Boo I think I'll do what you originally suggested and stick at 20%/85g and hope for the best.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox-you seem to have cracked it so well done! I have slashed my carb intake (I was still eating sweet potatoes and nuts) but the weight isn't moving for me so I thought I'd better try Plan B. I think I might stick at 20%/85g then I have more room to manoeuvre if I'm still not losing.

I still eat nuts but keep to the lower carb ones. Have a look see here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd advise not looking at an app or to what others do to find out what to do - use a blood glucose meter and test yourself - if your BG is in the normal range, that is all you need to know, really - if it isn't then you need to put your mind to dealing with that.
If you are as lucky as I was, you can get your BG down to normal - bewilder the HCPs and then a few months down the line realize that you have nothing to wear because you've lost so much weight.
It really does seem as though excess weight and easy weight gain are symptoms of diabetes, not causes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I started at about 100g but my meter was unhappy. I gradually reduced over several months. Slow but sure, until my meter was happier. I lost 33% of my body weight long before I dropped to very low carb (30g). Doing it that way I didn't have any cravings and nor did I suffer the carb flu that many on here report.

There are ways and means of changing the carb allowance on MFP. I seem to recall I entered the number of carb grams I wanted, entered my desired protein grams, and used all the rest for fats, ignoring the percentages. I think I had to play about with it to arrive at this.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one tip: daily amount of carbs is useless for me. I count for one meal - to not cross 7.7 BS point one hour after meal and to be under 5.7 two hours after meal (if possible).

Last edited:

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd advise not looking at an app or to what others do to find out what to do - use a blood glucose meter and test yourself - if your BG is in the normal range, that is all you need to know, really - if it isn't then you need to put your mind to dealing with that.
If you are as lucky as I was, you can get your BG down to normal - bewilder the HCPs and then a few months down the line realize that you have nothing to wear because you've lost so much weight.
It really does seem as though excess weight and easy weight gain are symptoms of diabetes, not causes.

Having nothing to wear because I've lost weight is one problem I wouldn't mind having! I can't wait to get my meter so I can start to have a clue what's going on.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one tip: daily amount of carbs is useless for me. I count for one meal - to not cross 7.7 BS point one hour after meal and to be under 5.7 two hours after meal (if possible).

That sounds very sensible actually Rom. How many do you average per day just out of interest?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started at about 100g but my meter was unhappy. I gradually reduced over several months. Slow but sure, until my meter was happier. I lost 33% of my body weight long before I dropped to very low carb (30g). Doing it that way I didn't have any cravings and nor did I suffer the carb flu that many on here report.

There are ways and means of changing the carb allowance on MFP. I seem to recall I entered the number of carb grams I wanted, entered my desired protein grams, and used all the rest for fats, ignoring the percentages. I think I had to play about with it to arrive at this.

Yes I have altered my goals on MFP already. I am now going for 15% so I'll see how I go on with that.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds very sensible actually Rom. How many do you average per day just out of interest?

I eat around 5g of carbs in one meal (I don’t count vegetable). With that I can get this BS:
IMG_1523292533.930800.jpg

Reactions: Mags H and cmor16

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction

Your peak is one hour?

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Those ratios for carbs, protein and fat look like typical NHS Eatwell figures.
With MyFitnessPal I started to record what I was currently eating before starting any diet plan for about 3 weeks. This gave me an idea where i'd been going wrong and gain experience at recording stuff.
One thing it showed was I was getting about 600 cal a day from using butter.

Reactions: miszu and Mags H