How much weight have YOU lost?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the weight loss - no small achievement and long may it continue :)

I'm also a fan of the Fitbit weight graph with the way it gives you a nice trend line that smooths out the ups and downs, and the weekly average numbers it gives you without the hassle of spreadsheets. I find daily numbers next to useless by themselves - 'water weight' causes too much variation from day to day, but weekly averages are a reasonably good measure of progress.

I've kept myself motivated by making a game of trying to make each weekly average lower than the last, a weekly 'challenge'. Each week offers a little tiny victory that way, making the daily weigh-in something other than just depressing drudgery. Long-term goals can be demotivating - they take forever to achieve and progress made seems insignificant - but I do find small, achievable weekly goals help keep me motivated to *not* go out and buy wine and pistachios ;)

The very best of luck in your endeavours!
Thank you! Yes I agree, it's great for motivation to stay with it.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I might join you guys here, if I may... I've been resisting paying too much attention to weight loss while I got myself settled into low carb (I have relapses but am determined those won't stop me this time). I feel confident with low carb now, and I have enjoyed looking at my fitbit weight history recently to see how it's going.

So while I'm not setting goals, which historically has been disastrous, I am really motivated to track weight loss and talk about it again. I'm still morbidly obese but down 3 stones from my heaviest weight in 2017. It's been up and down, and at the end of last year I was creeping up again to the level where mobility and daily life were badly impacted.

I'm going to count from January this year, and so far have lost 21lbs. The fitbit monitor is great because it records my aria scale weigh-ins every morning, and gives average weight for the week with a graph showing trending over time (week, month, all time). I find the average for the week very helpful as it smooths out the little ups and downs that can demotivate.

@Outlier I noticed sharp hunger pangs in the morning again after a few days of eating too many carbs. It vanishes almost straight away when back on low carb!
Twenty one pounds down this year sounds good to me. Congratulations on that! Are you looking at carbs only?

I hate to keep harping about plateaus, but man are they frustrating. So far, intermittent fasting has worked, but slowly. Then there’s the exercise. I’ll have to find another option to shake things up. Any suggestions?

I had considered getting down to my original, long time normal weight that I had in college, but have decided to aim a little higher. It’s considered a normal weight and below the BMI category of overweight. Though my dietitian says go by how I feel. I feel pretty light. I have a little left on my belly and butt, but not that much, imo. Lol. I can’t cut out any more calories. I consume the bare minimum now. All are nutritious foods, so not much to alter.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Twenty one pounds down this year sounds good to me. Congratulations on that! Are you looking at carbs only?

I hate to keep harping about plateaus, but man are they frustrating. So far, intermittent fasting has worked, but slowly. Then there’s the exercise. I’ll have to find another option to shake things up. Any suggestions?

I had considered getting down to my original, long time normal weight that I had in college, but have decided to aim a little higher. It’s considered a normal weight and below the BMI category of overweight. Though my dietitian says go by how I feel. I feel pretty light. I have a little left on my belly and butt, but not that much, imo. Lol. I can’t cut out any more calories. I consume the bare minimum now. All are nutritious foods, so not much to alter.
Thank you! For me it is all about the carbs - I find carbs addictive and I can't help overeating when I include them. I'm working on as low carb as possible while I lose enough weight to be healthier and have a better quality of life. I do have days off the wagon and I just had a week of eating too many carbs - but I have found it fairly easy to get back into it.

Congratulations to you too for getting to such a healthy weight! I don't know enough about type 1 to make suggestions about how to lose the last few pounds though, sorry! My top suggestions are keto or carnivore or some extended fasting but I don't know if that is something you could consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you! For me it is all about the carbs - I find carbs addictive and I can't help overeating when I include them. I'm working on as low carb as possible while I lose enough weight to be healthier and have a better quality of life. I do have days off the wagon and I just had a week of eating too many carbs - but I have found it fairly easy to get back into it.

Congratulations to you too for getting to such a healthy weight! I don't know enough about type 1 to make suggestions about how to lose the last few pounds though, sorry! My top suggestions are keto or carnivore or some extended fasting but I don't know if that is something you could consider.
Thank you. I am mindful of carbs and I end up low carb, though I don’t want to be. Lol. I need carbs so I can take insulin, which sounds odd, but for me I really do. I do better with healthy whole grains. I realize many T2s feel differently about that. But, that’s ok.

I have so few clothes now! I‘m holding off on getting too many until I reach my goal. But, in the meantime I’m pitiful! I just got new underwear and that’s a relief. Next, new pajamas.

• Friendly
Reactions: jpscloud