Hungry and thirsty through the night

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, lately these past few weeks I've been up throughout the night a few times and everytime I feel as if I'm about to throw up if I don't eat or drink something quickly. I normally have a few crackers with cream cheese or sliced and a glass of squash and it helped at first, but now I can't stomach cheese and I can't test my bloods at night as I am only allowed by my DSN to test before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @akindrat18

I'd be inclined to ignore the DSN and check your blood when this is happening - you need to understand whether it is related to your sugar levels or not, so you can act accordingly.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just woke up, feeling sick and hungry. Tested my blood sugar levels and it's 24.7.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, you need to let someone where you live know how you are feeling at night. I am sure once your DSN knows how you are they will help sort this for you.

Reactions: Edgemac

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just woke up, feeling sick and hungry. Tested my blood sugar levels and it's 24.7.

Would advise you to contact your DSN/GP straight away with levels that high. Please let us know how you get on.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Would advise you to contact your DSN/GP straight away with levels that high. Please let us know how you get on.

Left voicemails for both of them. Injected 24 units of Novorapid, 1.2 units of Victoza and just had 3 weetabix with milk, sprinkled with Splenda.

Reactions: Goonergal

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You've obviously done the right thing by measuring at a time other than recommended. As suggested, you need to see GP/DSN.

Do you carb count? Would you consider lowering carb intake?

No I don't carb count and I have done low carb before. But I do low cal and its helped with my weight loss as I'm down to 18 st 6 pounds coming from nearly 25 stone two years ago.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And perhaps you could point out to your DSN the effect not testing in the night has had....

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm down to 18 st 6 pounds coming from nearly 25 stone two years ago.

Good progress. I followed low calorie for a long time, first 500 then a 1000 less than BMR plus stupid amounts of exercise and nothing.

Cutting out carbs, down to 40gms per day, also reduced calories by a further 700 calories a day which had the desired effect for a while, weight wise and more importantly BG wise. I was able to avoid going on to insulin and stopped taking Gliclazide, Januvia and Atorvastatin (low cholesterol an added bonus). As a type II I'm of the opinion that I'm better off eating with my BG in mind, but, it's not for everyone.

Reactions: Julia99

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're on insulin you should be testing blood sugar whenever you feel "funny". Perhaps the DSN advice about being allowed to test has been misunderstood or poorly phrased?

Are you on a basal insulin as well as novorapid? It sounds like you might need to adjust your basal dose to avoid the overnight highs.

If you aren't carb counting how do you know how much insulin to take to cover weatabix? How do you know how much insulin to take to correct a high blood sugar of 24? 24 seems like a terribly high dose, but if you're at 24 and youve eaten 3 weetabix it might be necessary, make sure to keep a close eye on your blood sugar after this. Carb counting doesn't mean anything about how many carbs you are taking in, it's about how to adjust your bolus insulin to manage the carbs you are taking in.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're on insulin you should be testing blood sugar whenever you feel "funny". Perhaps the DSN advice about being allowed to test has been misunderstood or poorly phrased?

Are you on a basal insulin as well as novorapid? It sounds like you might need to adjust your basal dose to avoid the overnight highs.

If you aren't carb counting how do you know how much insulin to take to cover weatabix? How do you know how much insulin to take to correct a high blood sugar of 24? 24 seems like a terribly high dose, but if you're at 24 and youve eaten 3 weetabix it might be necessary, make sure to keep a close eye on your blood sugar after this. Carb counting doesn't mean anything about how many carbs you are taking in, it's about how to adjust your bolus insulin to manage the carbs you are taking in.

I take 24 units of Novorapid for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 36 units of Tresiba at 7pm. I've only got 12 test strips left till I get my next prescription tomorrow.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I need something to eat in the morning

Eggs, mushrooms, tomato even bacon (lean if you prefer), takes longer but only has less than 10gms of carb, rather than 37 gms in 3 weetabix and without the bacon less than 100 cals rather than 200 for 3 weetabix.

Apologies if this sounds like everyone is trying to tell you what to do. I'm very overweight so I fully understand how difficult it is to decide on what to eat, then being diabetic on top, there's a lot to take on board, especially if you have a DN telling you what to do. It took me a very long time to realise that the advise I was getting from my GP at the time wasn't the best and in fact thanks to being prescribed Rosiglitazone which totally messed up my liver my weight rocketed to 27 stone. I should have low carbed all those years ago when I suggested it to my doctor. There were 2 type I diabetics in my family so even as a teenager I was aware of them carb counting and how even then they tried to limit the carbs so as not to have to take so much insulin.

At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you. I see there's a thread on DAFNE, if you've not attended one, do you think it might help as you mention you're not presently carb counting. Only suggestions.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a time limit on when you can request a repeat prescription or could you just request it as needed?

So you've not corrected your high blood sugar at all, you've just taken your standard dose of insulin?

I think you could probably do with asking your DSN for some advice on basal testing and on carb counting. There is a free NHS course on carb counting avalable online - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

Edit: and this is how to basal test - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need something to eat in the morning, plus I drink plenty of water sometimes with sugar free squash.

If your BS is very high, eating will push it higher and make you feel worse.

High blood sugar causes intense feelings of hunger. Once you get it down, that should improve.

If you can't bear not eating, have a chunk of cheese.

Have you managed to speak to anyone yet?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 24 units of Novorapid for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 36 units of Tresiba at 7pm. I've only got 12 test strips left till I get my next prescription tomorrow.

Carb counting should help you. If you feel your nurse isn't being very helpful, then you might need to push them a little to get the support you need.

For example, they may be able to get you on a course that will help you carb count and learn more about how insuljn can be used eg for correction doses.

Let us know how you are and if you've managed to speak to someone. If you've left a message and they don't call back, phone again.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @akindrat18 Sorry to hear about your high levels through the night, it can be sorted so try not to worry.

As suggested by others, please call your DSN, it's important they know that they know what's going on, @azure is right running high can cause hunger, I too get hungry when I run high when I really need to be getting my BG down, your body is craving glucose as you're not processing it properly hence the hunger. Eating carbs like weetabix and crackers will only push you higher, cheese, olives, nuts are good to snack on if you feel hungry. As you're on novorapid then it would be good for you to learn how to count carbs and match this with your insulin. A good phone app to have is 'Carb and Cals' to learn more about carbohydrate content of foods. With having diabetes it's important to be aware of carbohydrate content of food as this impacts your BG levels. When thirsty then water rather than juice or cordial is the best solution as you need to flush out the excess glucose.

If you haven't heard from anyone by now please call them again, getting seen today or getting advice on your doses over the phone is your priority right now. Please let us know how you get on ? :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still have not heard back from my DSN and I could not see my GP as it's by appointment only on the day and only if you phone in at 8 in the morning. Took 60 units of novorapid, blood sugar down in the teens and just had lunch; small pot of home made Spaghetti Bolognese.